P1000 Need some help

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5. The machine has 230 miles on it and is super clean. A month ago I started having the following issues: hard to start, idles rough, won’t shift gears, cannot select different drive modes, 4 wheel drive won’t engage. I contacted the dealership I purchased machine from and they came and got it and currently have had it for 5 weeks. They stated that they have been in constant contact with Honda over this issue because they have never had a Pioneer with this issue come into them. They stated they have seen this on Yamaha’s and Kawasaki’s. The last phone call from them advised that they believe it’s a connection issue with the dash but they are waiting for approval from Honda. Just checking to see if anyone has had any similar problems with their machine. These problems occurred out of the blue.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5. The machine has 230 miles on it and is super clean. A month ago I started having the following issues: hard to start, idles rough, won’t shift gears, cannot select different drive modes, 4 wheel drive won’t engage. I contacted the dealership I purchased machine from and they came and got it and currently have had it for 5 weeks. They stated that they have been in constant contact with Honda over this issue because they have never had a Pioneer with this issue come into them. They stated they have seen this on Yamaha’s and Kawasaki’s. The last phone call from them advised that they believe it’s a connection issue with the dash but they are waiting for approval from Honda. Just checking to see if anyone has had any similar problems with their machine. These problems occurred out of the blue.
Welcome from south Florida

Keep us updated on the issue/fix and post some pics of the buggy when you get a sec 👍

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5. The machine has 230 miles on it and is super clean.
Welcome from Michigan!

Cant say its “supper clean” without posting any pics! Besides thats rule #4 when you join, pics of the rig or….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
welcome from Ohio

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Michigan!

Cant say its “supper clean” without posting any pics! Besides thats rule #4 when you join, pics of the rig or….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

0DAF9F55 B3C5 42D2 9356 1ED9F84DC0B4 816484CE B055 4743 B2D6 3E6B727476FA

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check the ground on the engine next to the starter. It can feel tight by hand but will move with a wrench or socket. Typically the hole is stripped and you'll have to move the ground to another spot.
So I called the dealership on 11-8-22 and spoke with the service manager and suggested them checking this ground. She cut me off and said that they had, as well as a ground under the seat of the machine. She stated that Honda Is actually aware of this issue and they have another Pioneer in for starting issues and that’s what Honda suggested they check. When I was able to finish what I was trying to originally explain to her I asked if the tech actually put a wrench on the ground she didn’t have an answer and told me she would have him check it again with a wrench. She told me that her senior tech believes it is a ground issue somewhere and is waiting for Honda to respond back to them. Idk. I will keep updating.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Senior tech, ground issue. Fix the dam thing. Sorry you and everyone has to live with s*** like this these days. What happen to real mechanics, ones that trace the problem down until they find it. And then fix it.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Senior tech, ground issue. Fix the dam thing. Sorry you and everyone has to live with s*** like this these days. What happen to real mechanics, ones that trace the problem down until they find it. And then fix it.
The further we go down the path of self diagnosing vehicles, equipment, and appliances(which is not necessarily a bad thing) the more repairmen become “parts changers” and only fix what is within the parameters of the diagnostic system.
It’s hard to find someone that has a good combination of electronic and mechanical know how. And adding in giving a f#@* makes it that much rarer.
If you compare a service manual of today to one from our glory days there is quite a difference in the meaning of the word FIX.

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so here’s the latest update as of 11-11-22. I received a call from the dealership and was told they are convinced that the main ECU needs to be replaced. They stated that they had another machine come in the shop, and they pulled the ECU from that machine and put it in mine and all the issues seem to be resolved. With that being said, if I was the owner of the other machine, I would be furious that they were using my ECU to check another machine. The person who called me said the part is ordered however, they are waiting to hear back from Honda. This past Friday marks week 5 that they have had it. I questioned them as to why a certified Honda factory rep has not been requested to come diagnose the problem. They informed me that Honda has moved from California to South Carolina and that they don’t have dedicated factory reps for their off road department. I stated that my Pioneer cost just as much as my 2022 Honda Civic and that I highly doubt a car dealership would allow a vehicle to be in their shop for 5 weeks with nothing being done. Sorry, rant over.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok, so here’s the latest update as of 11-11-22. I received a call from the dealership and was told they are convinced that the main ECU needs to be replaced. They stated that they had another machine come in the shop, and they pulled the ECU from that machine and put it in mine and all the issues seem to be resolved. With that being said, if I was the owner of the other machine, I would be furious that they were using my ECU to check another machine. The person who called me said the part is ordered however, they are waiting to hear back from Honda. This past Friday marks week 5 that they have had it. I questioned them as to why a certified Honda factory rep has not been requested to come diagnose the problem. They informed me that Honda has moved from California to South Carolina and that they don’t have dedicated factory reps for their off road department. I stated that my Pioneer cost just as much as my 2022 Honda Civic and that I highly doubt a car dealership would allow a vehicle to be in their shop for 5 weeks with nothing being done. Sorry, rant over.
I've not had to bring my buggy in to a stealership since it left the lot on day 1 🤞. From what I've read on here about lots of people dealing with service departments, seems that's the way Honda does things.......S L O W...... Most times before doing anything tech has to ask permission from HONDA to move forward that back n forth crap takes forever. Only changing/trying one fix at a time is BS to me. And you're right, for as much as these things cost now-a-days, they should be on top of service dept to get them out the door in a timely manner.

H

Hogback

Nov 6, 2022
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've not had to bring my buggy in to a stealership since it left the lot on day 1 🤞. From what I've read on here about lots of people dealing with service departments, seems that's the way Honda does things.......S L O W...... Most times before doing anything tech has to ask permission from HONDA to move forward that back n forth crap takes forever. Only changing/trying one fix at a time is BS to me. And you're right, for as much as these things cost now-a-days, they should be on top of service dept to get them out the door in a timely manner.
Just makes me scratch head. I’ve had Honda’s throughout my life since I was a kid and they have always been reliable! That’s why decided to purchase the Pioneer. It figures the most expensive, and advanced Honda off-road machine I have purchased turns out to be problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!