Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I mentioned a couple weeks ago about meeting a couple 20miles down a dirt road that took care bar/campground. Well it was supposed to be a weekend off but we got antsy again a went camping. Now 9 weekends this year. We stayed in the cabin there (kinda weird waking up that way) some of our close friends just picked up an '05 Honda (Yaa another Honda)and were excited to test it out so they met us there. We carried it up for them. Absolutely a great machine a ton of miles but never burped. Electronic shifting still awesome. Had an easy road ride with them as she was new to off road. Got back to "camp" had a couple beers in the bar and the caretaker of this beautiful place said she was off in a bit and wanted to ride with us. We went for a great night ride and part way through she said lets go to her treehouse for drinks. ??? Ok I'm always in for fun. We came back to take her p1k5 (weird riding in someone else's rig not driving) her treehouse was 18 miles down a series of really ragged dirt roads and trails. They commuted this a lot and that's why they retired their Ranger to "easier " work they had dependability issues however nothing ever on the p1k5. She drove like a woman possessed it was really cool to see. Took just over 45 minutes one way. We stopped at a several hundred year scary old graveyard that was really cool it's so much fun riding with locals! She was really great we partied a bit, had so much fun and she rode hard. Our kind of people. We got to her house and all I can say is wow. It's still under construction they have been working on it while they can but I was really impressed. Who comes from a big city moves that far into the woods and commutes a total of 38 miles in the woods to work in a sxs? A Honda owner! Their mail comes once a week by boat. It's awesome meeting and hanging out with great people. We were out in the deep deep woods until 4 in the morning. Another great weekend. Not without problems though the trails we we went on prior still have downed trees that we had to clear and were using the winch on a really large one to make it safer to cut fully and snapped another cable. 3rd this year.grrrr. But the Warn 4500 keeps tugging. On the way out had a flat on the trailer carrying the Pioneer (use to carry it in our other truck but been trailering it with the short box it's time for a better trailer!) so pulled it back with the Honda and they are currently at the campground and will retrieve them tomorrow however the Pioneer again was flawless and we realize that problems occur yet once again nothing caused by the Honda.

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are using snatch blocks when you break cables?

I stalled my Warn today pulling a stump to clear a trail. My volt meter dropped to 9 while pulling and back to 13+ immediately when I let off. I was ducking just in case it snapped.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not this time it was a straight pull with a 7000pound strap around the fallen and anchor on the hitch. I've tried multiple cables and even though we have pulled some precarious angles before this was not that and it was a fresh cable. I'm showing 11.7ish while pulling it uses both batteries. I would think the winch would stop before it breaks a straight pull with a new same pound cable??

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not this time it was a straight pull with a 7000pound strap around the fallen and anchor on the hitch. I've tried multiple cables and even though we have pulled some precarious angles before this was not that and it was a fresh cable. I'm showing 11.7ish while pulling it uses both batteries. I would think the winch would stop before it breaks a straight pull with a new same pound cable??

Thats strange. I also am using two batteries. The oem battery and an odyssey. I have the Honda branded Warn which I think is the 4500 even though Honda calls it 4000lb.

My winch is wired to the odyssey and so is the volt meter. The oem battery which is second in line would probably not have seen such a large voltage drop. How is yours set up?

Are you using a battery isolator? I am and I wonder if there is a bottle neck there.

This really isn't that big of a problem unless you are really working the winch hard. I've not noticed this problem when pulling a stuck vehicle out in the past.

Because of this minor problem, I will probably remove both small batteries and put a yellow top optima under the drivers seat. That's what I had in the pioneer 700 and really liked it. Also, that will lower my center of gravity by removing two batteries at hood height and putting that weight down low.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry to hi-jack your thread. I'll move this to a new topic if you like.

I could call it, "never know who or what you'll meet part 3".

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thats strange. I also am using two batteries. The oem battery and an odyssey. I have the Honda branded Warn which I think is the 4500 even though Honda calls it 4000lb.

My winch is wired to the odyssey and so is the volt meter. The oem battery which is second in line would probably not have seen such a large voltage drop. How is yours set up?

Are you using a battery isolator? I am and I wonder if there is a bottle neck there.

This really isn't that big of a problem unless you are really working the winch hard. I've not noticed this problem when pulling a stuck vehicle out in the past.

Because of this minor problem, I will probably remove both small batteries and put a yellow top optima under the drivers seat. That's what I had in the pioneer 700 and really liked it. Also, that will lower my center of gravity by removing two batteries at hood height and putting that weight down low.
I'm sure it's the 4500 yes. Mine is set for the winch only to run both batteries. It's got an isolator that clicks on both as soon as the winch clicks on so it runs off both. I run a three post diode battery isolator for everything else so it always charges start battery first and never actually connects the two it charges them separately. The only item that ever connects the batteries is the winch and it has to be running. This way the start battery never takes hit from low voltage from the AGM battery. But why am I snapping cables? And funny but no harm I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. Im about to jump way up in cable diam but you can't carry as many feet. This is why I was interested in synthetic but I don't know if it'll stay up either.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Have you looked into lithium replacements like Shorai? I'm positive they have one for the main and you could get a big one for the accessory battery. They would have 2-3 times the cca,change faster, way less size and best of all 1/5 the weight. Might be easier then running all that extra cable that would lose some juice by the foot. I didn't use one in the sxs but I do run these in our dirt bikes. The one in my crf is just under one pound rather the five pounds and is smaller. You take 4 pounds off under the seat made a big difference on a bike

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
Are using snatch blocks when you break cables?

I stalled my Warn today pulling a stump to clear a trail. My volt meter dropped to 9 while pulling and back to 13+ immediately when I let off. I was ducking just in case it snapped.

Sent from my iPhone 10s
Joy,Cummings Pusher are you all using a snatch block .I always use a snatch block or 2 It helps on pulling capacity and strain. Also if your cable gets kinked or Frayed this will weaken the cable .Just thought I would add this for others, I know both of you already know this.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Joy,Cummings Pusher are you all using a snatch block .I always use a snatch block or 2 It helps on pulling capacity and strain. Also if your cable gets kinked or Frayed this will weaken the cable .Just thought I would add this for others, I know both of you already know this.

I carry one with me and will use it when I need to. However, yesterday with pulling a tree stump to clear the trail I did not have enough rope to use the block.

I have a synthetic winch tow line in my shopping cart that I have been considering just for those reasons.

A8271470169a8d5cffff17f7b89c361c

Reactions: BIGRACK
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I know it helps with the pulling capacity and I use it sometimes especially at angles but the way this was I thought I was good. I guess you never are. I wasn't expecting the winch to snap the cable though. I need to spend more time with setup I am really sick of snapping crap! This one came back pretty hard on the machine

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I carry one with me and will use it when I need to. However, yesterday with pulling a tree stump to clear the trail I did not have enough rope to use the block.

I have a synthetic winch tow line in my shopping cart that I have been considering just for those reasons.

View attachment 15216
Joe do you run synthetic on your Honda? What's that recovery rope rated at

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm still on the fence whether I like synthetic rope or wire. I have been around people using stynthetic rope and I have not seen fail.

I am using wire rope right now but I am thinking about getting the synthetic extension and trying it for a while to see if I like it.

I think quarter inch synthetic rope as break strength of 6800lbs

Sent from my iPhone 10s

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm still on the fence whether I like synthetic rope or wire. I have been around people using stynthetic rope and I have not seen fail.

I am using wire rope right now but I am thinking about getting the synthetic extension and trying it for a while to see if I like it.

I think quarter inch synthetic rope as break strength of 6800lbs

Sent from my iPhone 10s
That's a great way to test it for your own uses! I might do the same

JasonJ

JasonJ

Jan 5, 2016
North MS
Everyone is talking about winch cable and I'm just sitting here thinking of all the possible scenarios going through my head if a chick says "oh hey, you guys want to come 18 miles back into the woods and have a few drinks at my treehouse"??? I suspect there is more to this story.

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone is talking about winch cable and I'm just sitting here thinking of all the possible scenarios going through my head if a chick says "oh hey, you guys want to come 18 miles back into the woods and have a few drinks at my treehouse"??? I suspect there is more to this story.
Exactly what I was thinking as well!:confused:

Reactions: JACKAL
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well like I said I got a flat on our underrated trailer out in the middle of nowhere the pioneer had to pull it back to camp. Left from home last night to the campground luckily the managers were there helped a bit and gave me a couple brews. Thanks so much to the great people at wolf creek lodge Angela and Steve are awesome people! Enjoy that 1000-5! Since the snowmobile trailer tires were to small and kept popping due to weight. Added bigger weight bearing tires had locking lugs pain without the socket then had to cut holes in the bed. They probably thought I was crazy but you need to get home. Stopped ever 15 miles all the way home to retighten lugs luckily I had enough side lighting on the sxs to do that safely as I was deep. Long trip. 80 miles took 3 1/2hours. Good to say the pioneer is home. Any weekend can go south I'm glad the truck is up to par probably got 23-24 mpg at those speeds so good and the pioneer once again flawless. It sucks to leave your rig that far but awesome to get it home. Its problems like these that make you appreciate the great weekends with dependable equipment. Time for a real trailer.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 15216
Well joe I did it. I'm sick of snapping crap so I listened to many on synthetic rope. I'll try it this weekend see if I can't snap 7000 pound break strength with the Warn. Also ordered 75 ft extension. Hopefully.

Reactions: joeymt33
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol!:D This reminds me of the movie, I think its called "With out a paddle" or something like that. These three guys go on a woodsy adventure to find DG Cooper's money and stumble upon a tree house inhabited with 2 hot earthy naked chicks.:)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hey @Stauvo! At least I wasn't carried off by a bear!

Reactions: Stauvo
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!