• Start date
chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hello from the Florida Panhandle.

So I was raised on Honda motorcycles and ATVs in the 70s-90s but have not owned a Honda SXS, yet. I have 2 machines, a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700SE and a 2017 Textron Stampede 900 EPS. Both machines are used strictly for hog hunting and I push them to their limits, often!

The Stampede I have over 3,000 miles on it with basically very little issues but there is basically no technical support for these machines because there are not that many out there. I have the machine set up like I want and the only thing that I might would change would be the shocks/springs because I have busted 2 shocks due to he weight that I carry. I have added the bandit utv suspension springs all the way around and they helped tremendously but again I have busted 2 shocks due to hitting a sharp bump or bottom. I keep a spare shock if that tells you anything and I can change it in less than hour that includes changing the spring also.

I love the x-cab part of my Stampede and that is what I am afraid I will miss by going to the Honda Pioneer. I keep this area packed with everything from ice chest, CO2 tank, jack, medical cut kit for the dogs and a snack box and 2gals of water for the dogs.

I like the idea of the shaft drive of the Pioneer and I know that Hondas are tough as nails. I can get aftermarket shocks with custom spring rates to carry the loads that I carry but I really want to know that this machine will stand up to being USED HARD every week. During my hunts I travel between 50 to 150 miles in 3 days of hunting.

Are there any drawbacks to the Pioneer 1000-3? Other than the obvious that I have been reading on the forum. 6 bay a20190303 095955

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ditto on what @BigOL3 suggests on a Pioneer 1000-5 , with its extended roll cage and roof.

It can secure the dog boxes top and bottom while offering protection from sun / rain and brush with the rear cage.

I think it would be a great machine for your use. Just carry spare tie rod ($20) instead of shocks. They do bend on really hard hits but save rest of system from damage usually.

chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You mention the Xtra cab ....... why not get the P1K5 with roof? Unless you carry more than 1/2 ton, you wont have to worry about overloading it and can carry a huge volume, and it has self leveling rear shocks.

I hope you are KILLING all those hogs!

We kill all we catch, average of about 200 a year.

I have thought and looked at the P1K5 a bunch and thought the same thing but my concern is loading the wet dogs and all of that stuff falling through the floor system to basically on top of the rear seats. Here is a thought, could I remove that section and basically make it a flat bed but leave the roll cage and roof there for protection? Anyone seen or done that? I am not in to looks really but actually functionality.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I have thought and looked at the P1K5 a bunch and thought the same thing but my concern is loading the wet dogs and all of that stuff falling through the floor system to basically on top of the rear seats. Here is a thought, could I remove that section and basically make it a flat bed but leave the roll cage and roof there for protection? Anyone seen or done that? I am not in to looks really but actually functionality.

The rear seats are soiled from underneath. Before removing anything I would just put in a rubber mat cut to fit going up the front bed wall about 8" That would solve your issue of concern. They even offer an OEM accessory bedliner that can go in out quickly. FYI

Edit added picture
Screenshot 20200609 091559 Chrome

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

What @JACKAL said! P1K5 will solve your problems.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Exactly at what @JACKAL said. I have the bed liner for hunting. It keeps the blood out of the seats wonderfully. It washes out with ease also.
I sometimes put a rubber mat in the bed liner if I’m in need of something not sliding

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello from the Florida Panhandle.

So I was raised on Honda motorcycles and ATVs in the 70s-90s but have not owned a Honda SXS, yet. I have 2 machines, a 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700SE and a 2017 Textron Stampede 900 EPS. Both machines are used strictly for hog hunting and I push them to their limits, often!

The Stampede I have over 3,000 miles on it with basically very little issues but there is basically no technical support for these machines because there are not that many out there. I have the machine set up like I want and the only thing that I might would change would be the shocks/springs because I have busted 2 shocks due to he weight that I carry. I have added the bandit utv suspension springs all the way around and they helped tremendously but again I have busted 2 shocks due to hitting a sharp bump or bottom. I keep a spare shock if that tells you anything and I can change it in less than hour that includes changing the spring also.

I love the x-cab part of my Stampede and that is what I am afraid I will miss by going to the Honda Pioneer. I keep this area packed with everything from ice chest, CO2 tank, jack, medical cut kit for the dogs and a snack box and 2gals of water for the dogs.

I like the idea of the shaft drive of the Pioneer and I know that Hondas are tough as nails. I can get aftermarket shocks with custom spring rates to carry the loads that I carry but I really want to know that this machine will stand up to being USED HARD every week. During my hunts I travel between 50 to 150 miles in 3 days of hunting.

Are there any drawbacks to the Pioneer 1000-3? Other than the obvious that I have been reading on the forum.View attachment 207024View attachment 207025
I have the three seat. I bought it as a new year old model cheap. Having been around both now I wish I'd have spent the extra money and got the 5 seat. The roof line makes it more maneuverable in tight places and the door storage would be welcomed to keep my bed emptied. I dont have passengers and the added seating isn't a factor for me. Just something else to consider.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Honda’s are reliable, that’s why I bought all of them I’ve had. The pics below are my 1000-5 on 30s sitting next to my buddies camo 1000-5, the other pic is a 700 pulling three gravity wagons.

2029B479 923E 49DA B33A B8BBFEA6946C
760F2114 3E0D 4608 BD24 169A16EE65B4

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from the mud holes of WNY! The P1K is the jack of all trades master of none. Enjoy. 😉😎🤎
#ntc

Reactions: JenElio
advertisement
SWB

SWB

Apr 22, 2019
South Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I got tired of shifting with my foot and driving with one hand during hunting season. That was a good enough reason for me.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. We have the P1K-3 and love it. All of our kids are gone from home. We are in the country with a couple of horses, garden, etc. We use ours a lot to haul hay,horse feed,fertilizer,fuel jug,25 gallon sprayer,air tank,welder,generator, etc. It replaced an 07 Yamaha Rhino.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll throw my two cents in here, I’m new to sxs’s but not to the pioneer, a buddy bought one of the first 700‘s about 6 years ago, he lives in central FLA , sand, mud ect. When he first got it we were down visiting and got to drive it around and loved it I knew that when the time came to buy one it would be a pioneer. That thing has had a pretty hard life, it’s hauled deer , it’s hauled a cow or two , it’s hauled drunken adults, so on and so on it just keeps running. I got the P1K-5 deluxe and love it, I’ve pulled my 20-0 pontoon with it, we took it to ride royal blue in Tn, trails were bad, ruts mud rocks that pioneer just eat it up. For me I like the P1K5 because it has the bed, or I can flip up the seats and bring people with me. IMHO, it’s the way to go hands . Welcome from WNC.

Last edited:
Reactions: JenElio and Mudwing
PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2

You could do that. It would be pretty easy.

Reactions: Isaiah
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You can pull the rear lower seat section (your butt cushion) out of the 1k5 as well with no tools. It would make cleaning up in the rear seat area much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaiah and JenElio
chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes slightly. The 3 seat bed is a bit longer and a bit wider. The 5 seat rops has to fit around the bed.

I thought so, I need all of the bed space that I can get for what I do with it. Going to change the shocks and tires/wheels anyway.
I am leaning more toward the 1000-3 base model. I don't care about the LED headlights and like I said, I'll be changing the shocks/tires/wheels out.

Reactions: Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!