New member from western NC pioneer 1000

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I immediately started posting questions before doing an introduction. Was on a time limit. Now that it's been ordered and is a done deal, I can slow down a tad and introduce myself.

City boy who finally got his dream of owning 28 acres in the mountains, remote and secluded. Very little flat area except for the creek that runs down the entire length long ways and of course the pad for the house.

Having land that was so steep you couldn't even walk it much less utilize it for anything, I rented an excavator for a month and cut me in 3 different roads running from the house to the top and back down to the other side of the creek. They all connect.

Originally it was for a walking trail. But being a gun enthusiast I had decided I wanted to set up a target range and quickly decided that a quarter mile hike with all my gear was too much for me!

I am 55 and recently fully retired from my own plumbing repair company. It's where I also learned to run an excavator.

Not having any experience or previous ownership with a UTV, other than calling people absolutely insane for spending $15,000 on a little go cart and refusing to ever consider one for any reason at all, I started to shop around for possibilities.

First I looked at golf carts and almost went that route believe it or not, would have been the biggest mistake of my life. I then settled on one of these little 2 Wheel Dr. gas operated UTV at tractor supply company. $3,000

Got it home and couldn't even get it up the first small embankment over my creek! Started researching some more and saw the Massimo 4x4 msu500. It was $8000. Called and asked if I could return this under the 30 day policy and get credit towards it. They said yes.

What a world of difference!!! This thing had some really aggressive tires, came with a winch, hardtop, and I took it everywhere and anywhere all over my property. It impressively went through tons of mud i would've never dreamed possible. I was now hooked and could only imagine the possibilities.

The only problem was the 500 engine. My area has some pretty severe inclines, 30° plus, and not just for a few feet, but for a couple hundred yards and even though it made it, with a full load and another person, you could tell it was taking all it had to get up those inclines.

In short, it does the job and I should be absolutely satisfied. Considering I'm only using it for my property there was really no reason for me to get anything else. But then one day it wouldn't start all the way in the back of the property. I started wondering what exactly, was I going to do if I couldn't get this thing started? How would I get it back? There's no way to get a vehicle back there and I started really pondering what a disaster it would be if this thing could not get started. Eventually I figured it out myself and got it going. Was a loose wire on the injector.

But the bug had bit and I was now slowly but surely turning into a UTV enthusiasist. I was already a full-size 4 x 4 truck enthusiast. Have a Chevy crew cab, Duramax diesel, 3500 single wheel, 4x4 with warn winches front and back Plus a host of other accessories. I was sadly starting to realize that these UTVs could easily out mud my truck and take me places I could never go with it.

So I started looking for a second one in case I ever broke down again and also knowing I wanted more power, was looking at a Massimo 700 that seemed perfect at $9000. It was that second purchase that just opened the door to everything.

Knowing now that I had opened the door to a part of life I never previously considered and knowing just how fun and exhilarating it was to drive one of these things, I started doing much more research than I did the first go-round.

There are horrible reviews out there on the Massimo and all I can say is so far I am extremely pleased. I don't know about longevity but I guess we will find out. But those bad reviews really got me looking at other brands.

One thing led to another and I came across the Honda pioneer 1000. Seems like I am lucky as I am really entering the field where technology has peaked and wasn't unfortunate enough to spend $15,000 on a unit last year and then kick myself in the butt when the pioneer came out.

If I had went through all of this last year, I would've bought the Honda 700. And probably not have been anywhere near as happy as I will be with a 1000. Let's just say that I'm really glad the 2016 with the year for me to start looking at UTV :)

But, I was very let down that at the base price for the 1000 EPS of $16k they came with absolutely nothing and to get it with the winch, doors, hardtop, blah blah blah, the whole thing came out to 23k!!! Really??!!

Am I REALLY going to spend $23,000 on one of these things, knowing I could buy a really great vehicle for the road for that money? I could buy a heck of a brand-new car for that, one heckuva great used truck for that??? Am I going to be one of the people that I called insane earlier for spending so much money on them??

Well, you betcha! Here I am, throwing myself into the bucket of very insane individuals. The only solace I have, is knowing that at least I got, in my opinion, the very best ever UTV available that money could buy :)

So in short, in 90 days, I went from not even knowing anything about them, to signing off on the finance agreement for 23,000!

I got the 1000 EPS in white. Upgraded to 28" mud light tires. Full five year warranty (non Honda) Winch, 72" plow for my roads, soft doors and soft rear panel, hard top, bad mat, skid plates, rear bumper, rear view mirror, full optical windshield (no hard coat)

Already have another winch I got from Amazon with a mounting plate for the rear.

Truth be told, I really just wanted to add a receiver to the front and have my winch portable so I could move it to the front or back. But the plow made that impossible.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. I have spent to date including the Massimo I am keeping, over $30,000, so I can ride on a mile or two of mountain roads I put it on my property.

Feeling really stupid right now to be honest! I did buy a trailer and have him throw that in on the deal and I am hoping, that maybe there are some other areas where I can take off for a week and go into the back country and really enjoy this thing more so than just here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick49274 and sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I immediately started posting questions before doing an introduction. Was on a time limit. Now that it's been ordered and is a done deal, I can slow down a tad and introduce myself.

City boy who finally got his dream of owning 28 acres in the mountains, remote and secluded. Very little flat area except for the creek that runs down the entire length long ways and of course the pad for the house.

Having land that was so steep you couldn't even walk it much less utilize it for anything, I rented an excavator for a month and cut me in 3 different roads running from the house to the top and back down to the other side of the creek. They all connect.

Originally it was for a walking trail. But being a gun enthusiast I had decided I wanted to set up a target range and quickly decided that a quarter mile hike with all my gear was too much for me!

I am 55 and recently fully retired from my own plumbing repair company. It's where I also learned to run an excavator.

Not having any experience or previous ownership with a UTV, other than calling people absolutely insane for spending $15,000 on a little go cart and refusing to ever consider one for any reason at all, I started to shop around for possibilities.

First I looked at golf carts and almost went that route believe it or not, would have been the biggest mistake of my life. I then settled on one of these little 2 Wheel Dr. gas operated UTV at tractor supply company. $3,000

Got it home and couldn't even get it up the first small embankment over my creek! Started researching some more and saw the Massimo 4x4 msu500. It was $8000. Called and asked if I could return this under the 30 day policy and get credit towards it. They said yes.

What a world of difference!!! This thing had some really aggressive tires, came with a winch, hardtop, and I took it everywhere and anywhere all over my property. It impressively went through tons of mud i would've never dreamed possible. I was now hooked and could only imagine the possibilities.

The only problem was the 500 engine. My area has some pretty severe inclines, 30° plus, and not just for a few feet, but for a couple hundred yards and even though it made it, with a full load and another person, you could tell it was taking all it had to get up those inclines.

In short, it does the job and I should be absolutely satisfied. Considering I'm only using it for my property there was really no reason for me to get anything else. But then one day it wouldn't start all the way in the back of the property. I started wondering what exactly, was I going to do if I couldn't get this thing started? How would I get it back? There's no way to get a vehicle back there and I started really pondering what a disaster it would be if this thing could not get started. Eventually I figured it out myself and got it going. Was a loose wire on the injector.

But the bug had bit and I was now slowly but surely turning into a UTV enthusiasist. I was already a full-size 4 x 4 truck enthusiast. Have a Chevy crew cab, Duramax diesel, 3500 single wheel, 4x4 with warn winches front and back Plus a host of other accessories. I was sadly starting to realize that these UTVs could easily out mud my truck and take me places I could never go with it.

So I started looking for a second one in case I ever broke down again and also knowing I wanted more power, was looking at a Massimo 700 that seemed perfect at $9000. It was that second purchase that just opened the door to everything.

Knowing now that I had opened the door to a part of life I never previously considered and knowing just how fun and exhilarating it was to drive one of these things, I started doing much more research than I did the first go-round.

There are horrible reviews out there on the Massimo and all I can say is so far I am extremely pleased. I don't know about longevity but I guess we will find out. But those bad reviews really got me looking at other brands.

One thing led to another and I came across the Honda pioneer 1000. Seems like I am lucky as I am really entering the field where technology has peaked and wasn't unfortunate enough to spend $15,000 on a unit last year and then kick myself in the butt when the pioneer came out.

If I had went through all of this last year, I would've bought the Honda 700. And probably not have been anywhere near as happy as I will be with a 1000. Let's just say that I'm really glad the 2016 with the year for me to start looking at UTV :)

But, I was very let down that at the base price for the 1000 EPS of $16k they came with absolutely nothing and to get it with the winch, doors, hardtop, blah blah blah, the whole thing came out to 23k!!! Really??!!

Am I REALLY going to spend $23,000 on one of these things, knowing I could buy a really great vehicle for the road for that money? I could buy a heck of a brand-new car for that, one heckuva great used truck for that??? Am I going to be one of the people that I called insane earlier for spending so much money on them??

Well, you betcha! Here I am, throwing myself into the bucket of very insane individuals. The only solace I have, is knowing that at least I got, in my opinion, the very best ever UTV available that money could buy :)

So in short, in 90 days, I went from not even knowing anything about them, to signing off on the finance agreement for 23,000!

I got the 1000 EPS in white. Upgraded to 28" mud light tires. Full five year warranty (non Honda) Winch, 72" plow for my roads, soft doors and soft rear panel, hard top, bad mat, skid plates, rear bumper, rear view mirror, full oily windshield. Already have another winch I got from Amazon with a mounting plate for the rear.

Truth be told, I really just wanted to add a receiver to the front and have my winch portable so I could move it to the front or back. But the plow made that impossible.

Well, that's me in a nutshell. I have spent to date including the Massimo I am keeping, over $30,000, so I can ride on a mile or two of mountain roads I put it on my property.

Feeling really stupid right now to be honest! I did buy a trailer and have him throw that in on the deal and I am hoping, that maybe there are some other areas where I can take off for a week and go into the back country and really enjoy this thing more so than just here.
Go to rider-planet.com and click on your state. Welcome to the club! By the way I never understood my friends that said "you can buy a jeep for that" they are nowhere near as fun as a utv!

Reactions: vince
Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome, great post enjoyed the read.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Being in western NC your close to a good many people on here and close too great trail riding. Windrock and royal blue is probably about 2 hours from you. Not sure where you are in NC tho.. I live in SC near NC border close to I26.. I fly fish a lot in NC. I shoot a lot and hunt too.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Being in western NC your close to a good many people on here and close too great trail riding. Windrock and royal blue is probably about 2 hours from you. Not sure where you are in NC tho.. I live in SC near NC border close to I26.. I fly fish a lot in NC. I shoot a lot and hunt too.

I am in Hayesville! Moved here from Charleston SC.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I am in Hayesville! Moved here from Charleston SC.
Really nice area. I've fished some streams over that way. Being in that area your a little farther away from wind rock and royal blue but they would be well worth the drive. I'm not familiar with any trail systems near you but I bet there is some. Btw you living the dream it sounds like. Pretty much what I want to do. Small cabin in western NC mountain with land for riding hunting. I do want land in mid SC too Saluda area. But the land in both areas is my dream. Friends and I lease land in Saluda now 4100 acres.

Last edited:
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Really nice area. I've fished some streams over that way. Being in that area your a little farther away from wind rock and royal blue but they would be well worth the drive. I'm not familiar with any trail systems near you but I bet there is some. Btw you living the dream it sounds like. Pretty much what I want to do. Small cabin in western NC mountain with land for riding hunting. I do want land in mid SC too Saluda area. But the land in both areas is my dream. Friends and I lease land in Saluda now 4100 acres.

4100 ACRES??? My goodness. That's one heck of a lease! Yes this is my dream. But 4100 acres would REALLY be my dream. Bet there's lots roads back there to ride :)

Reactions: scott
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey @Plumber101010, when do we get some pics of your vehicle? You know we all love to post pics.

I'd like to see that thing hauling 1000lbs. That's a site to see I bet.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
LMAO! Murphy's Law..

I HAD about a dozen pics, in different stages.

A full load, half load, 1/4 load and then a load right before it wouldn't dump, and then the load that it did dump.

But after that thread went array, I figured posting pics was a lost cause and deleted them all..but last night no yet!! :)

But worry not, I have another 16 ton load freshly delivered a couple days ago sitting at the foot of my driveway waiting to do it all over again!

I will post them here for you. Lord knows, don't want to encourage any more whining complaints about me :)

Almost done with all my add on projects too, like light bars and such. Will post pics when complete.

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Cool, it's always nice to get a image with a story. If I were moving that much rock, I would definitely memorialize it with pics.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Reactions: sharp
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I do have one of it sitting on my new bridge I sent to my daughter that I finished last night. The base part, have railings still. Can't see much though.

The light bars really light up the night at 24,000 lm and was using it to work by!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have some of my light bars I posted on another forum as to the best location

Never mind, the website is going through some glitches it appears and wont let me load them keeps saying error. I'll post them tomorrow.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Congrats on the new P1, and awesome property. Our stories are pretty close to the same. I'm 59 and needed a way to get around our very steep heavily wooded 10 acres. I wish I could have access or could afford heavy equipment to make trails. I'm currently just running my P1 up the hills as far as I can go, then getting the chainsaw out to cut a path. Then I buck the logs up in 6 ft lengths, load them in the P1 and haul them down the hill. I'm using the logs for a border on my rather looong driveway. After I cut the trail in, I run the P1 over the trail trying to spin the tires as much as I can to make a nice path. That's the best part of the whole deal. I too will use these trails to go up to a really nice area I plan to put in a gun range. Anyway, I'm over in Roan Mountain Tennessee, probably not more than 30 minutes from you. If your ever in the area , pop on by. Around theses parts UTV's, and ATV's are considered daily drivers, and most folks have them. If you visit a neighbor, it's always on the SXS. Take mine every Sunday to the store to get the paper. It's a good life, and I sure like my P1.

Reactions: Rick49274 and sharp
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Congrats on the new P1, and awesome property. Our stories are pretty close to the same. I'm 59 and needed a way to get around our very steep heavily wooded 10 acres. I wish I could have access or could afford heavy equipment to make trails. I'm currently just running my P1 up the hills as far as I can go, then getting the chainsaw out to cut a path. Then I buck the logs up in 6 ft lengths, load them in the P1 and haul them down the hill. I'm using the logs for a border on my rather looong driveway. After I cut the trail in, I run the P1 over the trail trying to spin the tires as much as I can to make a nice path. That's the best part of the whole deal. I too will use these trails to go up to a really nice area I plan to put in a gun range. Anyway, I'm over in Roan Mountain Tennessee, probably not more than 30 minutes from you. If your ever in the area , pop on by. Around theses parts UTV's, and ATV's are considered daily drivers, and most folks have them. If you visit a neighbor, it's always on the SXS. Take mine every Sunday to the store to get the paper. It's a good life, and I sure like my P1.

Wow!! That's one heckuva way to make a trail I'll tell ya :) Do you know how to run an excavator? It wasnt that much, $1900 for a month. I got it sitting here again to load the dump bed up with rock and do some fine tuning for the roads for $660 for the week.

A week is really more than sufficient to cut you in a couple roads. The month that I had it there was tons of downtime and rain and laziness and everything else. Probably only wound up working it a full week out of the month and did three full roads fairly long.

I would give anything to be able to drive this thing on the street. North Carolina is quite stringent and I'm sure the highway patrol would love a reason to flash me over!

I envy you being able to drive it places :)

Reactions: joeymt33
D

Dasmoeturhead

Wow!! That's one heckuva way to make a trail I'll tell ya :) Do you know how to run an excavator? It wasnt that much, $1900 for a month. I got it sitting here again to load the dump bed up with rock and do some fine tuning for the roads for $660 for the week.

A week is really more than sufficient to cut you in a couple roads. The month that I had it there was tons of downtime and rain and laziness and everything else. Probably only wound up working it a full week out of the month and did three full roads fairly long.

I would give anything to be able to drive this thing on the street. North Carolina is quite stringent and I'm sure the highway patrol would love a reason to flash me over!

I envy you being able to drive it places :)
Ive never actually driven one. I'm a retired heavy equipment mechcanic, so I have worked on them, and that's about it. I can operate all the equipment good enough to be able to test and what not. Shoot, I just spent $5,000 on my dang driveway. There went ally fun money., that's why I'm cutting trail like a caveman. Haha. It's a lot of work, and I ain't getting any younger. Yeah there pretty cool up here in the high country when it comes to rising on the road. There are some folks up here who license them as medium speed vehicles. There only legally allowed on roads with a speed limit of 40 mph or less. I'm not going to bother with it. The National Park up here is only about 1.5 miles up the road. I never see Johnny Law up here, we all take care of each other up here. It's pretty unique. I even ride with a retired North Carolina Highway Patrolman. So I guess if we get pulled over, maybe he can put in a good word for me. It's all good, and we have fun.
Sounds like you've got one hell of a good property over there. Bet your enjoying retirement.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The plow on the front helps even out the weight.

Can't tell by the picture at ALL. In fact, it's amazing how photography works. Looking at that road it doesn't look inclined at all does it? Looks like just a little hill.

But the top third of that road is severely inclined. So inclined, that if the 1000 was parked sideways it would tip over and roll down. But pic looks like a stroll park.

As you can see, I got this as a true work vehicle, the play will come later :)

Just for kicks I loaded up my Massimo 500 with a full load (600 pounds) and dumped it with no sweat it all. Just tap the handle and she goes.

Problem is, the Honda holds a lot more and so it's a trade-off of time. The extra 10 minutes to shovel out and then dump is still faster than the shorter load that dumps because of the time involved in getting to where I need to get to.

This is my first road entrance of 3 off the driveway, it's already done. But where I'm going to now is at the rear of the property it's about a 10 minute drive.

Last two are where I mounted the light bars.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After playing with this a while, I think the biggest issue is the latch. If I hit the latch and it stayed open I could use both hands and feel pretty secure that I could assist the bed and dump it because I almost can with one.

It's the balancing act that makes its so hard, because when you hit the latch, if you let go it just goes back into the locked position. So I have to hold the latch with one hand and awkwardly try to pull up with my other.

I don't think I need to devise a winch to assist as much as I need to devise a way to have the latch stay open so I can use both my hands and all my strength :)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Advice for plowing. Do yourself a BIG favor and cut a notch in the glove compartment so it can stay closed amd the winch control can come out.

The cord plugs into the glove compartment, which I think is a horrible location personally, and if your just winching it doesn't matter that much.

But when you're plowing all day long and you're forced to leave it open, all your stuff will come flying out!

The notch allows you to keep it closed.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!