P700 New P700, odd overheating issues. Using Inferno cab heater; may be to blame?

R

Rat_Patrol

Feb 28, 2022
MN
Firstly, new member, hello all!

I just bought a new P700-4 Deluxe in the fall. Right away, I installed an Inferno cab heater kit. I didn't get much chance to run it hard after install, we had a really cold winter up here, so the machine sat. A week or so ago, I took it out into the field and it got a lot of full throttle time going through the snow up hills. Every now and again, it would overheat. I would stop the machine and let it idle, but it would not cool down. Also, the heater output was not "hot" but only warm. I shut the engine off, give it 30 seconds, fire it back up, and it would cool right down. Coolant is full, but I did have to fill it back up after about 30 minutes, so it clearly got some air out, but it ran the reservoir dry drawing fluid in, so maybe still some air? I checked, no coolant leaks.

So I'm thinking 1 of two things:
Either there is still an air bubble in there causing cavitation
or
The 10 or whatever feet of hose ran up to the heater core is causing issues and I need an aux pump.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Farmer and Buggyman
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
The factory water pump is fine, there is significant volume between the hoses and the heater itself.
Keep it topped off and work to get any air out of the system.

Reactions: Buggyman
R

Rat_Patrol

Feb 28, 2022
MN
Is there any trick to get the air out, or just keep running it hard with a jug of coolant with me? As a note, after I re-filled it, it has not drawn anything from the reservoir.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not well versed in the 700, there might be a bleeder screw somewhere close to the engine to help bleed the air.
Get the front tire 12" or more off the ground, remove rad cap, let engine idle 20 minutes or so. Should bleed most of the air out.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Firstly, new member, hello all!

I just bought a new P700-4 Deluxe in the fall. Right away, I installed an Inferno cab heater kit. I didn't get much chance to run it hard after install, we had a really cold winter up here, so the machine sat. A week or so ago, I took it out into the field and it got a lot of full throttle time going through the snow up hills. Every now and again, it would overheat. I would stop the machine and let it idle, but it would not cool down. Also, the heater output was not "hot" but only warm. I shut the engine off, give it 30 seconds, fire it back up, and it would cool right down. Coolant is full, but I did have to fill it back up after about 30 minutes, so it clearly got some air out, but it ran the reservoir dry drawing fluid in, so maybe still some air? I checked, no coolant leaks.

So I'm thinking 1 of two things:
Either there is still an air bubble in there causing cavitation
or
The 10 or whatever feet of hose ran up to the heater core is causing issues and I need an aux pump.

Thoughts?
welcome to the forum from Ohio.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am not well versed in the 700, there might be a bleeder screw somewhere close to the engine to help bleed the air.
Get the front tire 12" or more off the ground, remove rad cap, let engine idle 20 minutes or so. Should bleed most of the air out.
have to check the manual to be sure but I believe you are right on the bleed screw

Reactions: Backwoods
1950Willys

1950Willys

Apr 4, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
The bleeder screw is near the block so probably will not bleed the extra length of hose and heater, i added heater last summer an had to park on steep hill and took radiator cap off and idled forever and blipped throttle every now and then. It finally burped itself enough not to overheat.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
As noted above I elevated the nose and let er run for a bit and viola the air worked its way out pretty quick.
Good luck and welcome from the 48353.

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Check the fluid level in the overflow bottle/tank. Air will escape the system via the overflow bottle/tank while running. The air gets replaced by the fluid in the bottle/tank, provided it has fluid in it, on shutdown and while cooling. Keep a watch on the fluid level in the tank for the next few rides. Don't over fill the tank as it will dump on the ground when the system is full, hot and no air in the system.
Cheers, stay warm with that heater

Reactions: Buggyman