P500 New tires/wheels/Shocks

N

NorthernGuy

Apr 22, 2016
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Thinking of buying 26-9-12 front, 26-11-12 rear Mudlite XTR's mounted on ITP alloys. Does anyone have any info on this tire combo? Believe this will add 1inch to width but no issue there. Also curious if anyone has had shock replacement done, I understand this will lower clearance by one inch but this should be offset by the large tire size. was considering not have shocks replaced but not sure is that would be wis? Apprecizte any comments

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@NorthernGuy Welcome to the club!

The overall width will be determined by the wheel offset you select. On the rear if you select a 5+2 offset and run the 11" wide tire it will be same as OEM width, if you use the generally standard 4+3 offset you will be 2" wider than OEM in the rear, if you use the 4+3 offset on the front you may be 3" wider than OEM as it is close to a 5+1 offset on the OEM front wheel that is only 6" wide.

The tires will be fine, I run 26x9x12 on all 4 corners no issues at all. I don't know anything about the adjustable shocks that are offered on the sticker recall, one or two have posted they like them and didn't lose much clearance.

Reactions: rocmar and ehart814
N

NorthernGuy

Apr 22, 2016
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500

The overall width will be determined by the wheel offset you select. On the rear if you select a 5+2 offset and run the 11" wide tire it will be same as OEM width, if you use the generally standard 4+3 offset you will be 2" wider than OEM in the rear, if you use the 4+3 offset on the front you may be 3" wider than OEM as it is close to a 5+1 offset on the OEM front wheel that is only 6" wide.

The tires will be fine, I run 26x9x12 on all 4 corners no issues at all. I don't know anything about the adjustable shocks that are offered on the sticker recall, one or two have posted they like them and didn't lose much clearance.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I will check the offset before ordering.
Along the same line, any preference re radial or bias ply tires?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I will check the offset before ordering.
Along the same line, any preference re radial or bias ply tires?
10 different people will give you 12 different tire opinions. Personally I prefer 8 ply radials for durability and puncture resistance.

Reactions: jak9922
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA

Not sure I agree with ya Jackal...I have the 5+2 offset with 11" tires and I am at 53" total width. Aren't the stock rims 5+1? With the stock tires being 10" wide and the rims being 1" less offset the 5+2 rims and 11" tire will make you 3" wider

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
10 different people will give you 12 different tire opinions. Personally I prefer 8 ply radials for puncture resistance.
Not sure I agree with ya Jackal...I have the 5+2 offset with 11" tires and I am at 53" total width. Aren't the stock rims 5+1? With the stock tires being 10" wide and the rims being 1" less offset the 5+2 rims and 11" tire will make you 3" wider
With rubber your mileage may vary an inch or so.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Excellent advice....
Jackal

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Thinking of buying 26-9-12 front, 26-11-12 rear Mudlite XTR's mounted on ITP alloys. Does anyone have any info on this tire combo? Believe this will add 1inch to width but no issue there. Also curious if anyone has had shock replacement done, I understand this will lower clearance by one inch but this should be offset by the large tire size. was considering not have shocks replaced but not sure is that would be wis? Apprecizte any comments

The reviews I've seen on the replacement
shocks...aren't worth it.
but also a 26" tire ...ain't 26"
With 8 psi.either

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I would go same size tire
on all corners

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

@SBuckJ after re-reading your post I can see why you disagree, I am referring to 9" wide tires on all four corners and you mention 10" & 11" wide tires, of course two 10" or 11" wide tires will measure wider than two 9" wide tires on identical wheels mounted on the machine. The 10" would be 1" wider overall and the 11" would be 2" wider overall (machine width at the tire sidewall) compared to the 9" wide tires I am commenting about. So I agree apples and oranges are a different fruit.

advertisement
N

NorthernGuy

Apr 22, 2016
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500

N

NorthernGuy

Apr 22, 2016
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Okay--so ended up buying Bighorn 2.0 radials,26"/ 9" front and 26/11" rears, mounted on ITP Alloys with 5+2 offset. Also had the new shocks mounted at the same time. By the way, the new shocks have pre-load adjustment at all 4 corners.
Measured the height with the bike on the trailer from bottom of frame and shows 9.75" stock and 10" after shocks and tires. Stock measurement from outside of tirewalls, stock 48 5/8 front, now 53 1/2, rear stock 48 7/8, now 54 1/2.
Like the ride, tracks straight at higher speeds on gravel road, will have to wait till hunting season to see how they perform in swampy rocky etc. terrain.
Will try to figure out how to post pics. Thanks for all the advise, hope this helps.

Reactions: 500oneer
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Okay--so ended up buying Bighorn 2.0 radials,26"/ 9" front and 26/11" rears, mounted on ITP Alloys with 5+2 offset. Also had the new shocks mounted at the same time. By the way, the new shocks have pre-load adjustment at all 4 corners.
Measured the height with the bike on the trailer from bottom of frame and shows 9.75" stock and 10" after shocks and tires. Stock measurement from outside of tirewalls, stock 48 5/8 front, now 53 1/2, rear stock 48 7/8, now 54 1/2.
Like the ride, tracks straight at higher speeds on gravel road, will have to wait till hunting season to see how they perform in swampy rocky etc. terrain.
Will try to figure out how to post pics. Thanks for all the advise, hope this helps.

That's interesting measurements. You gained only a quarter of an inch after going up two inches in tire size? Maybe those shock are quite a bit lower.

Sorry if I missed part of an earlier conversation.

Reactions: Montecresto
N

NorthernGuy

Apr 22, 2016
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
The recall letter from Honda re shocks advised that the replacement suspension would lower the ground clearance from 9.6 inches to 8.5 inches. Going from 24" tires to 26" tires would increase ground clearance by approximately 1"

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I did not know there was a shock recall? I am unsure if I would want to reduce the ground clearance, but if they allow the suspension to work it might be worth looking into.

N

NorthernGuy

Apr 22, 2016
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I gather the recall was issued to certain 2015 500's. I suspect that if your front shocks have preload adjustment that you have the latest shock/spring combo? Best to check with your dealer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!