P1000 new to me 17 1000-5 problems

B

brushybarry

Nov 26, 2018
pikeville ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just picked up a 17 1000-5 with 460 miles. got it home, rode it about 3 miles up and down the road and it went all to s***. wouldnt pull, once it got warm it was like clutches were slipping, oil light came on. Id stop and wait for about 2 minutes, fire it back up and it would go again for a couple minutes, no oil light. once home i let it rest for about an hour, tried again up and down my driveway and it seem to run fine. supposed to take it on a ride today but damn sure dont trust it now. I test rode the machine longer before I bought it than I did when it went crazy and it ran like a new one. any ideas??

Reactions: sharp
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sounds to me like something is out of wack/adjustment like the shifting cable possibly? I’d check under the machine and check the driveline to see if anything looks out of the ordinary. I’m sure it’s something fairly simple or nothing the dealer can’t fix I would assume it’s under warranty still?
Welcome BTW from the Great Lakes State. I see your from Pikeville? Most of my relatives live in Nearby Prestonsburg area, (Maytown) I use to spend a lot of my summers as a kid there and Loved golfing at Jenny Whylie state park. I love it down there. I’m sure you’ll figure it out of somoeone will have the answer on her. Keep us posted if you happen to get it on your own;)

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Another welcome from The Great Lakes State :D

Reactions: sharp and Remington
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
just picked up a 17 1000-5 with 460 miles. got it home, rode it about 3 miles up and down the road and it went all to s***. wouldnt pull, once it got warm it was like clutches were slipping, oil light came on. Id stop and wait for about 2 minutes, fire it back up and it would go again for a couple minutes, no oil light. once home i let it rest for about an hour, tried again up and down my driveway and it seem to run fine. supposed to take it on a ride today but damn sure dont trust it now. I test rode the machine longer before I bought it than I did when it went crazy and it ran like a new one. any ideas??
Check all the oil levels, check for leaks, look over wiring make sure a mouse didn't chew something or that a wire didn't come loose. Really an odd issue. Did the temp light come on? Take a pic of what lights did come on.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try the clutch reset procedure.
Like @Cuoutdoors mentioned. Confirm oil levels first according the manual.

Reactions: Remington and sharp
B

brushybarry

Nov 26, 2018
pikeville ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
fluid levels are fine. looked over all connections and dont see anything. It runs great for about 15 mins then its like it just falls out of gear and the oil light comes on. turn it off wait a minute then restart, no oil light and it will go in gear and drive for around 15 seconds and it does it again. shut it down and wait an hour or 2 and it takes off like a brand new one again.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
fluid levels are fine. looked over all connections and dont see anything. It runs great for about 15 mins then its like it just falls out of gear and the oil light comes on. turn it off wait a minute then restart, no oil light and it will go in gear and drive for around 15 seconds and it does it again. shut it down and wait an hour or 2 and it takes off like a brand new one again.

complete guess but sounds like there is a clog somewhere that is preventing full pressure in the full oil system.
First time Ive heard this example. Have you checked the pickup screen in the oil pan?

H

HondaTech

Sounds like a clutch issue. Whether it be a sensor or contamination.

It sounds alot like the 1 I had that was under water. Worked ok until It warmed up then would stall and wouldnt take off again till it cooled down.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine acted very similar when my battery was bad.

B

brushybarry

Nov 26, 2018
pikeville ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
just talked to tech at local honda shop. He says 100% its a oil pressure sensor. Told me there is 3 of them and if I want to fix it myself to change all 3, or bring it in and theyll hook it up and see which one is bad. They are several weeks behind on service work. I could take it to them and wait a few weeks and warranty may cover it, but Im just going to change all 3 myself. He said they have had 5-6 in with this issue and it has been a sensor on all with many having 2 bad. He was very confident so hopefully this will get it fixed. I got the sensors ordered and will update after getting them put in.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Another possibility is a clutch update that was done incorrectly. There is an o-ring in the case that needs to be installed correctly. A few viewers had their machines returned to them after a clutch update with these symptoms. Turns out, when the oil is cold it is thick enough to keep pressure up. As the oil gets hot, it thins and gets by that part where the o-ring is supposed to be, causing a low oil pressure condition. But definitely check all your grounds and other electrical connections! Good luck and keep us posted.

2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh good lord. Mines going in for that and the other four fixes. I hope they know what they’re doing. Fingers crossed

I hear ya. My local dealer refused to do clutch update because the few they have done made it worse. I said don’t the new ones come with update? He said yes but they are not doing clutch update in their shop.

I’m going to eventually do the clutch update but prob drive 2hrs each way to a more experienced Honda only dealer that knows what they are doing ;-)

H

HondaTech

I hear ya. My local dealer refused to do clutch update because the few they have done made it worse. I said don’t the new ones come with update? He said yes but they are not doing clutch update in their shop.

I’m going to eventually do the clutch update but prob drive 2hrs each way to a more experienced Honda only dealer that knows what they are doing ;-)

Not to stir up anything, but you need to call Honda and report them. They cannot refuse to a service update or warranty repairs.

Plus their just straight up lying about it being worse after the update.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

A friend of mine is a "tech" at my local dealer. Although he's a great guy and a good friend, I wouldn't trust him to work on anything more complex than my wheelbarrow. And he knows I feel that way about his work. It's all good but I think I'll research dealers within 300 miles who have done several and had no problems.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I had everything done at my local dealer, fingers crossed, and everything looks/runs good so far.....:cool:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!