New to Pioneers, Welcome your inputs!

S

Slurugger

Feb 10, 2024
Missouri
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Greetings all, I'm a new member from the St. Louis area. I started riding Honda ST90s as a kid and then rode a Polaris Sportsman 500 for the last 10 years (sorry). Now with a family I need a 5 seater so we can all ride together. After doing significant research it seems the Pioneer 1000-5 is the ideal fit for us. I haven't identfied any consistent issues with the Pioneer 1000s except maybe excessive heat in the cab from mid mounted engine, am I missing something? I also learned on another forum that maybe the cluches had issues prior to 2018?

I'm planning to buy used, is there anything beyond the usual (i.e. abuse/lack of maintenance) that I should look for in 2015-2023 Pioneers? For example, in my area I see a lot of 2021s for sale so is that a COVID purchase situation or is there something to be concerned with that model year?
Any and all thoughts you can provide to a potentially new Pioneer owner would be greatly appreciated!

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. I have a 2016 P1K3, it has been great. It had several recalls done and a new style clutch cover installed. Most problems were MY 2016-2017. Definitely recommend the 1000 version over the others. Biggest problem I’ve heard about is the clutch. This forum can answer any questions you might have.
#NTC

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings all, I'm a new member from the St. Louis area. I started riding Honda ST90s as a kid and then rode a Polaris Sportsman 500 for the last 10 years (sorry). Now with a family I need a 5 seater so we can all ride together. After doing significant research it seems the Pioneer 1000-5 is the ideal fit for us. I haven't identfied any consistent issues with the Pioneer 1000s except maybe excessive heat in the cab from mid mounted engine, am I missing something? I also learned on another forum that maybe the cluches had issues prior to 2018?

I'm planning to buy used, is there anything beyond the usual (i.e. abuse/lack of maintenance) that I should look for in 2015-2023 Pioneers? For example, in my area I see a lot of 2021s for sale so is that a COVID purchase situation or is there something to be concerned with that model year?
Any and all thoughts you can provide to a potentially new Pioneer owner would be greatly appreciated!
If you need 5 seats but not necessarily the shorter wheelbase I’d personally recommend the P1K-6 … six seater. The rear seats in it are the same as the front and far more comfortable for kids and adults alike. It also shifts the engine back which will help with the cabin heat. They seem to be available new at a discount possibly putting it at a similar price point to what you are looking at used for the P1K5.

Edit-you also still have a bed for snacks and drinks in the 6 seater

JMHO

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I second that you may want to take a look at the 1000-6. The 1000-5 is great for me, as 98% of the time it's riding around with front seat only passengers, so I get the benefit of the shorter wheelbase and have a few pop-up seats I can use once in a while.

But if I were buying with the idea of riding 5 people around regularly, I'd look at the 1000-6. The rear seats in the 1000-5 are not optimal - They can be modified to make them more comfortable. If it's just kids and you're not riding all day, a lot, you'll probably be fine though.

Nothing wrong with the 21s. Someone here can chime and and remind me whether it was 21 or 22 when they made a number of changes, including a change in the upper a-arm mounts. They did get a bit stronger on this upgrade.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Check front frame A arm mounts.

Check for missing welds on frame

Expect to buy a Quick Shield to avoid the dreaded swamp ass.

If the muffler is on crooked, don't worry about it, most are.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome from upstate central New York

Many good people and information on Honda Forum </> & they like pictures

Red was the first Color All other colors followed ( Honda Hope's they sell )

Buy the Newest you can afford ( simular to all Vehicles ) Newer </>Will Have more </> of the Aminaties you Will Soon Want.

Sxs's Have a Way of Draining </> CC's </> Bank Acct's </> Check Book

Find The One you Want
Enjoy the Toy & Make Memories

LIVE to be
SOS -- ( SLOWER -- OLDER -- SMARTER )

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

Welcome from Ohio and good luck with your search.

S

Slurugger

Feb 10, 2024
Missouri
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
If you need 5 seats but not necessarily the shorter wheelbase I’d personally recommend the P1K-6 … six seater. The rear seats in it are the same as the front and far more comfortable for kids and adults alike. It also shifts the engine back which will help with the cabin heat. They seem to be available new at a discount possibly putting it at a similar price point to what you are looking at used for the P1K5.

Edit-you also still have a bed for snacks and drinks in the 6 seater

JMHO

I apprecaite that, I need to double check the dimensions. I'm trying to squeeze this into my 3rd car garage which is a single. I already have a mower in there so when I intially looked I thought the 6 might take up too much space. Right now I just have my 500 Sportsman in there so going to five even seems like it will be crowed. But I apprecaite the thoughts regardless.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Howdy and welcome....again, haha, from Northern Iowa
These gentleman over here will be able to help you more then the other place.
Over there, it's just me, helping the needy owner that couldn't find this place first. ;)
Over here you have MANY. The wealth of hands on knowledge, is the best you will find anywhere.
The search bar should become your best friend.
From lights, tires, noises, to best front winch bumper, it can help.
When the search bar fails you, there is usually a quick answer from someone.
Have a good day

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my best Lurch impersonation. “ YOU WELCOME “ from IdaGnome. These guys are smarter than me so ask them. I’m here for the entertainment. And the pictures. And the memes. And please ignore the oblivious mistake of starting my sentences with the word And. And that will be all….And thanks…
CFC9AB54 6D7A 4881 9CCE 257CC1D9FF6A

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!