SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
I'm also guilty of creeping around in this forum for a week or two unannounced. Stumbled across this site looking for information on a 2022 P520 that I'll be taking delivery of later this week. I was looking for what other owners had to say about the good, the bad, and the ugly with P500/520 machines. From what I've read so far, the bad and ugly doesn't exist with the P500/520 SXS. A lot of good info on this website. Thanks for allowing me to join!!!
Howdy from Oklahoma and welcome to the club. You're in good company. A lot of guilty folks around here. My experience with my P500 has been all good. Well, except when I shift gears it sounds like someone threw a handfull of nuts and bolts in a blender. I have been assured that is normal. :)

Last edited:
TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Welcome from Kansas!!! Love to see the pictures when you get it. This forum is fantastic for asking questions. Everyone here seems like they want to help you in the best way! Awesome group of people!!!.....

slikoriko

slikoriko

Dec 12, 2021
Prescott Valley AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm also guilty of creeping around in this forum for a week or two unannounced. Stumbled across this site looking for information on a 2022 P520 that I'll be taking delivery of later this week. I was looking for what other owners had to say about the good, the bad, and the ugly with P500/520 machines. From what I've read so far, the bad and ugly doesn't exist with the P500/520 SXS. A lot of good info on this website. Thanks for allowing me to join!!!
Welcome. You are not the only one roaming on this site . Full of information

advertisement
F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
I am new too, bought ours on 10/27 after being on a waitlist for a few months... drove it across the parking lot then onto the trailer made it to our exit off the interstate... A kid had fallen asleep and ran the red-light! T-boning us in the trailer destroying our explorer, trailer and new pioneer 1000! been on the waitlist since Oct 29 Just gonna wait on the 2022's now I suppose? and yes I know pics or it did not happen
BTW today is day 107 and still not settled up with ALLSTATE they are awful.... got a lawyer and now waiting on a check.
View attachment 318288 View attachment 318289 View attachment 318290 View attachment 318292 View attachment 318293 View attachment 318295
That doesn't look like a Pioneer 520 to me.

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
I have the 520. It's my first SXS. I enjoy the 50 inch width, the comfort and versatility of the P520. The shifting is absolutely crappy and noisy for a few hundred miles and then it just becomes noisy. So many people say that a shaft drive is better than a CV belt but I completely disagree unless it's for pulling or towing. A belt is so much smoother.

I had ATVs for a long time and rode them hard all year round in Western New York including in the snow never once had to replace a belt on a Japanese machine. Yes this Honda is shaft and I'm fine with it but there's definitely no Stark advantage over it again unless you're pulling or towing.

Certainly the ground clearance is a bit short but chances are those of us that have the P520 already accounted for that and the existing clearance is acceptable for our needs. I live in Central Florida so riding in the Ocala National Forest is nowhere near the hard terrain, roots,.mud and rock I have been used to in NY.

I really enjoy being able to take someone with me and enjoy the ride. I don't mud or swamp my machines anymore so this machine should last both of us as long as we want it to.

Welcome!

Oh, I suggest extending the rear diff vent hose up much higher than it is, and sealing around the base of the tube with silicone. You don't have to be in much water and I in my case there was a compromise a couple of times. I'm very diligent about fluids in my machine doesn't get 30 hours on it without all the fluids being changed at least twice and the rear end kept coming out dirty until I rerouted and sealed the vent tube

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
Welcome to the club! I hope you have better luck than I have had in obtaining a Honda Side X Side. Been waiting now 5 weeks for my new Talon 1000X-4 to arrive. A new trailer is sitting in my pole barn along with both a front and rear windshield, mirrors, a rear deck retaining cage and a new GPS system. All I need is a machine to put all this stuff on. 😡 They say all good things are worth waiting for, I say BULLS**T. I would like to receive this toy while I’m still young enough to ride it. Hope you get yours soon, take lots of pictures and have lots of fun!!!!!!!!
Donzi 18

G

Gunstockmaker

Nov 19, 2021
Farmington MO
Ownership

1. 520
I own a 520. SHifted roughly at first but since I've put 100 miles on it - it's working well. Wish it had hi-beams. Not wild about putting it in reverse but living with it Goes almost anywhere.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I own a 520. SHifted roughly at first but since I've put 100 miles on it - it's working well. Wish it had hi-beams. Not wild about putting it in reverse but living with it Goes almost anywhere.

You can bypass the reverse lever. Rear end is noisy due to the straight cut gears, sounds bad but gets better with time and switching out the gear lube to heavier synthetic. After first service hammer down, you won't hurt it.
The Good... it's tiny and bulletproof.
The Bad... lack of suspension and hp.
The Ugly... thought you got a deal on an entry level machine but that's just the price of admission, now the spending starts.
The Reality... throw a few more grand on it to set it up right and it'll amaze you what it can do.
Bigger better tires, radials. Adds ground clearance, rides and handles better.
Spread the stance, aftermarket wheels or spacers. Some say you don't need to but I can assure you, it'll handle better and is far more capable.
Replace the stock shocks with WE's or Elka's. Makes a huge difference in the ride and handling.
Torq Locker for the front differential. 25% more traction guaranteed.
EPS. Harsh bump steer and cranking on that wheel sucks when you're deep in the sh**.
Well that's about 3 grand in performance parts but it's a different machine afterward. Of course you'll want a roof, windshield, winch and all that too.... refer back to the ugly. 😁

advertisement