New to the forum

J

Jonah Staten

Oct 28, 2022
Lancaster, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi all, my name is Jonah Staten and I live in Amanda Ohio. Recently received as a gift a Honda Pioneer 1000 M3D. I recently purchased a 6000 lb winch and would like to later add some LED lights on it. Based on the reading I've done I need to add an auxiliary battery to power the winch and lights (along with anything else I might add later). My question what brand and size battery do you suggest?

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from BC. You don't have to have a second battery unless you plan to run a lot of accessories with key off. Lots of reading and info on this. Congrats on your new ride. You better post some pics of your buggy before the cops show up.

J

Jonah Staten

Oct 28, 2022
Lancaster, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome to the club from Tennessee
This is what I put in my talon
Congrats on the new ride
ML35-12GEL - 12 Volt 35 AH, GEL Type, Internal Thread (INT) Temrinal, Rechargeable SLA AGM Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HC55J24/?tag=sxsweb24-20
I read that because the transmission works electronically, it is dangerous to let the battery run down. So therefore it is wise to put an auxiliary battery in so that the main battery does not get used except for the detrimental use of the machine itself.

J

Jonah Staten

Oct 28, 2022
Lancaster, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I read that because the transmission works electronically, it is dangerous to let the battery run down. So therefore it is wise to put an auxiliary battery in so that the main battery does not get used except for the detrimental use of the machine itself.
My understanding of it was, the draw of the auxiliary things like winch, LED lights etc. Might run the regular battery down enough to do damage to the transmission. As far as shifting I guess etc

J

Jonah Staten

Oct 28, 2022
Lancaster, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My understanding of it was, the draw of the auxiliary things like winch, LED lights etc. Might run the regular battery down enough to do damage to the transmission. As far as shifting I guess etc
I just want to make sure that I don't damage a brand new side by side that I could never have afforded myself. The last thing I want to do is tear up my gift hahaha

advertisement
Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I just want to make sure that I don't damage a brand new side by side that I could never have afforded myself. The last thing I want to do is tear up my gift hahaha
I’ve got rock lights, interior lights, 12 inch light bar, winch, infernal heater, noam radio with amp, tyt th-8600, street legal kit on mine. I run it for two years without an auxiliary battery never any problems. I just put the battery in because I started riding by myself, and didn’t want to get stranded because I killed a battery.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
congrats on your new ride, enjoy.....

my advice is to read, read, read and educate yourself.....

be careful with an overrated heavy winch and then of course the bulk of steel to mount it, there was another member on here where there was a ton of weight added to the front and of course tires wore on the insides, etc..... not sure how you decided on 6000 winch, but general rule of thumb is 1.5x - warn recommends 3500# for a 1500# machine

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Last edited:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like some others have said a second battery is not a must have but a nicety. My older friend has the same items you are talking about and is only running the stock battery. He just makes sure to have his rig running when he is running the winch. When I built my setup I wanted to run a radio and figured I wanted it on while I was sitting with the rig off so I decided to add the second battery. I don't believe you will find anyone that regrets adding the second battery though. Just calculate whatever you think you will run now and maybe in the future and go from there. I have found it is easier to add stuff to my rig when it was new though, so if you think you might want a second battery it might be easier to add it now.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi all, my name is Jonah Staten and I live in Amanda Ohio. Recently received as a gift a Honda Pioneer 1000 M3D. I recently purchased a 6000 lb winch and would like to later add some LED lights on it. Based on the reading I've done I need to add an auxiliary battery to power the winch and lights (along with anything else I might add later). My question what brand and size battery do you suggest?
Welcome from NW Arkansas!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!