Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Are you using the skids a lot because you're plowing unpaved drive/roadway?

If so, two options to eliminate the skids completely:

1. Some have taken a piece of tubular steel that is the same length as your blade and cut it long ways from one side to the other (making a slot) and then slipped the bottom edge of the plow blade into that slot and hit it with a few tack welds to keep it on the wear bar. Or maybe weld some tabs to it (see pic below) and then drill holes in the wear bar so you can remove it. The round shape of the tube will allow the blade to glide over the top of unpaved roadway. You don't get the "cut" that you get from a blade if you have to plow any paved roadway, but you also wont' tear up your unpaved roadway or plow all the rocks/dirt when plowing snow.

2. I secured a 5"H x 5'W x 1"D piece of rubber conveyor belt to the bottom edge of my plow blade (used the wear bar and longer bolts to attach it). It's lasted 6-7 years. I can plow just about anything and take most of the snow off without damaging the unpaved roadway or even my grass/lawn. It just glides over the top of it like the tube solution in suggestion #1 above.

S

simooner

Mar 18, 2021
hun tsville ontario
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are you using the skids a lot because you're plowing unpaved drive/roadway?

If so, two options to eliminate the skids completely:

1. Some have taken a piece of tubular steel that is the same length as your blade and cut it long ways from one side to the other (making a slot) and then slipped the bottom edge of the plow blade into that slot and hit it with a few tack welds to keep it on the wear bar. Or maybe weld some tabs to it (see pic below) and then drill holes in the wear bar so you can remove it. The round shape of the tube will allow the blade to glide over the top of unpaved roadway. You don't get the "cut" that you get from a blade if you have to plow any paved roadway, but you also wont' tear up your unpaved roadway or plow all the rocks/dirt when plowing snow.

View attachment 321242

2. I secured a 5"H x 5'W x 1"D piece of rubber conveyor belt to the bottom edge of my plow blade (used the wear bar and longer bolts to attach it). It's lasted 6-7 years. I can plow just about anything and take most of the snow off without damaging the unpaved roadway or even my grass/lawn. It just glides over the top of it like the tube solution in suggestion #1 above.

View attachment 321240
thanks for the ideas. i like the conveyor belt ill have to look into that

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
my warn plow new last spring is wearing the skids really hard, anybody else have the same problem ,any fixes thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum from the lower 48!

We know what plow u have, but what kind of machine do u have?
pics?

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I built the bottoms of my skids up with some hard surfacing welding rod. My driveway is all concrete. They’ve held up pretty good since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Make sure that the skids and scraper are adjusted properly for the type of surface you are plowing.

For my driveway, which is asphalt, I put a thick piece of cardboard under the scraper and lower the skids to the ground.

The skids and scraper should wear together evenly.

Also, if the snow is light and fluffy, I don't let the winch all the way out so that the plow is under it's full weight.

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
S

simooner

Mar 18, 2021
hun tsville ontario
Ownership

1. 700-2
I built the bottoms of my skids up with some hard surfacing welding rod. My driveway is all concrete. They’ve held up pretty good since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah that what i was thinking , i have a flux core welder i will try that thanks

Reactions: Lady01
KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have used 1/2” tool steel welded to skids to help. Now use 1/2” of gravel pit conveyor belt (used) under the cutter bar to do the job. Skids never touch the ground. It lasts a long time plowing cement or a longer time doing ashphalt.

S

simooner

Mar 18, 2021
hun tsville ontario
Ownership

1. 700-2
little update ,after plowing season got looking at the plow and realized the dealer had mounted the plow using the wrong set of holes on the plow .had the plow tilted back. i changed the position on the mount and now the plow sits level. now ive got the skids at the dealer i will see if they will replace them.
because they put it together wrong.if not i will try to weld them up .thanks for the advice

Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!