BOX1

New Wheels and Tires Keep 68" Width?

T

TedF

Jun 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can I buy new wheels and tires and still maintain the 68" width on a Talon R? If so, where do I find them? Specs? Manufacturer? Dealer? Etc.

Reactions: Blownzuki and ChadD
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can I buy new wheels and tires and still maintain the 68" width on a Talon R? If so, where do I find them? Specs? Manufacturer? Dealer? Etc.
No. Even with 6+1 in the front, you will be at about 69.5" wide in front because the stock rims are only 6.5" wide and the tires are only 9" wide. Once you put 6+1 7" wheels and 10" wide tires, you will add 1.5" to the width.

The closest you can get is to use stock front wheels all the way around, 1.5" spacers in the rear and 9.5" wide tires. you will end up about 1/2" wider that way.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
STI HD 9 14x7 6+1 fronts are 6.5” wide wheels., their rear 5+2 keep my Pioneer 1000 at 63.5” wide front amd rear with 28/10-14 Rockabillies. I dont know if that helps with a Talon.

Reactions: Blownzuki
T

TedF

Jun 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon R
No. Even with 6+1 in the front, you will be at about 69.5" wide in front because the stock rims are only 6.5" wide and the tires are only 9" wide. Once you put 6+1 7" wheels and 10" wide tires, you will add 1.5" to the width.

The closest you can get is to use stock front wheels all the way around, 1.5" spacers in the rear and 9.5" wide tires. you will end up about 1/2" wider that way.
Thanks for you input. It has been difficult through the pandemic times to find anyone with the willingness or knowledge to help. I ended up buying new wheels and tires that a dealership had on the floor. Front System 3 SB 4's, dealer said 6+1, manufacturer's chart shows 5.5+1, Rear 4+3 with ITP Ultracross 30x10r15 all around. Now I am 71.5 in front and 70.5 in back. I am wondering if there is a way to get back under 70" without a complete loss of my investment? There are trail systems in my area with 70" gates.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for you input. It has been difficult through the pandemic times to find anyone with the willingness or knowledge to help. I ended up buying new wheels and tires that a dealership had on the floor. Front System 3 SB 4's, dealer said 6+1, manufacturer's chart shows 5.5+1, Rear 4+3 with ITP Ultracross 30x10r15 all around. Now I am 71.5 in front and 70.5 in back. I am wondering if there is a way to get back under 70" without a complete loss of my investment? There are trail systems in my area with 70" gates.
That tire/wheel combo should net you 70.2" in front and 69.2" rear. The lower the machine sits, the wider it becomes. Have you added a lot of accessories? Have you checked your ride height?

T

TedF

Jun 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not really added much. How do I check my ride height? What can I do about it?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not really added much. How do I check my ride height? What can I do about it?

1. You must check on a level surface.
  2. Make sure all tires are at 16psi for measuring.
  3. Make sure the machine is as loaded as when you drive it (gear, driver and passenger).
  4. Roll back and forth at least 20 feet and make sure the machine stops on its own (don't use the brakes).
  5. STAY in the car and have someone measure.
  6. Measure front and rear as pictured below.
    1. With your tires (30") you should be between 14 and 14.5" front and rear.
    2. This is a STARTING POINT, adjust as needed for your riding style.
    3. The front can be up to 1/2 higher than the rear for handling reasons but should never be lower than the rear.
    4. You can set it on the high side to make it as narrow as possible (14.5" front, 14" rear)
  7. Adjust height with the Preload adjusters (top nuts on the shock). They are about 1:2 ratio. For every inch you move the preload nut, the height will change approximately 2 inches.
  8. Adjust crossover nuts if necessary. The higher the crossovers, the softer the ride but be cautious and avoid coil bind.

Front is from the ground to the bottom of this tab...

Rear is from the ground to the bottom of the rear loop...

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
One more thing, my machine was not even in the rear from the factory. Make sure you are all even (measure or count the threads from the top of the shock to the adjuster nuts) when you are done.

T

TedF

Jun 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon R
Paul, this is great stuff how do you know all this.
If you can't tell I am pretty new to this.

Reactions: Dankathy
T

TedF

Jun 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well then, there is hope for me yet.
I am going to check this and follow your guide, it may be a while before I can do it. Thank you.
And that is an awesome video from Moab.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!