OK you Colorado experts..need advice

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at doing our 4th summer in a row in CO (July ). We are pretty well versed in the Silverton and Taylor Park areas (Both awesome BTW). Looking for a new place that has BLM style off-grid camping that is is UTV/ATV/Dirtbike friendly. We typically camp in a group (2-4 toyhauler trailers) and we usually do two weeks with about 4 or 5 nights in each spot. We like cool nights and higher altitudes. Being able to take the UTV into town is nice but not a deal killer.

I have heard about the Grand Mesa but not sure if they have what we need. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- does anyone know if you can camp off the grid (BLM) west of Creede where you can backdoor Silverton/Lake city by UTV? I know you can get from Silverton to the Rio Grande Reservoir (just west of Creede) on a UTV but not sure of the camping options?

Much Thanks

Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at doing our 4th summer in a row in CO (July ). We are pretty well versed in the Silverton and Taylor Park areas (Both awesome BTW). Looking for a new place that has BLM style off-grid camping that is is UTV/ATV/Dirtbike friendly. We typically camp in a group (2-4 toyhauler trailers) and we usually do two weeks with about 4 or 5 nights in each spot. We like cool nights and higher altitudes. Being able to take the UTV into town is nice but not a deal killer.

I have heard about the Grand Mesa but not sure if they have what we need. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- does anyone know if you can camp off the grid (BLM) west of Creede where you can backdoor Silverton/Lake city by UTV? I know you can get from Silverton to the Rio Grande Reservoir (just west of Creede) on a UTV but not sure of the camping options?

Much Thanks

There are a number of dispersed camping sites between the west end of the Rio Grande reservoir and Pole creek. Probably can’t go too far past the reservoir pulling a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TimG and Cuoutdoors
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Koda - do you if you can take a sxs into Creede from there?

Reactions: TimG
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Head waters of the Rio Grande

Reactions: TimG
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks 100Acre - crossed that river many times coming from Silverton over Stoney. I was hoping to do something different this summer but maybe its hard to top Silverton and Taylor Park?

Reactions: TimG and 100Acre
Koda

Koda

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Canton Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Koda - do you if you can take a sxs into Creede from there?
Don’t know for sure but year before last we talked to some guys on the loop and they had been staying in Creede and said there were not a lot of trails to ride From town. May have changed since then though

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!