P1000 One big battery

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
was thinking of mounting a t-5 catagory battery under the drivers seat then running large wires up to the existing battery location. I would then remove the wires from my stock battery and bolt them to the wires coming from the new battery under the drivers seat. My question is do you guys think this will affect the charging system and/or the computer, transmission etc. in a negative way? I did this on my 700 and it worked great but i have read how finicky these tranys are about voltage though I have had no problems out of mine, but i also drive it like i drive anything with a STANDARD transmission. Thanks in advace great bunch of guys on here

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
was thinking of mounting a t-5 catagory battery under the drivers seat then running large wires up to the existing battery location. I would then remove the wires from my stock battery and bolt them to the wires coming from the new battery under the drivers seat. My question is do you guys think this will affect the charging system and/or the computer, transmission etc. in a negative way? I did this on my 700 and it worked great but i have read how finicky these tranys are about voltage though I have had no problems out of mine, but i also drive it like i drive anything with a STANDARD transmission. Thanks in advace great bunch of guys on here

I considered doing a single large battery but $60 for an isolator was a cheap insurance policy. There's also that much more capacity

J

JTW

You can do it just fine.. and shouldn't have any issues from it. The point of the dual battery is to isolate the accessory drain from the stock system.. that way you always have adequate voltage for the machine functions. If you 100% know that you'll never pull the larger battery down, with accessory draw, enough to impede the systems function, then go for it. But that's what is nice bout the dual setup. You can't draw the stock battery it down with accessory power. You may lose accessory power but you will not lose systems voltage. You can always add a battery under the seat of the t5 type with a $60 true isolator in between and achieve it all! Or add an oddessy under the hood if you won't have large accessory amp draw.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I have a single car (not a battery wizard) sized battery on my 700. I did it mainly for the extra ooomph for starting on cold mornings. The stock battery didn't have enough cca to get my pioneer started after sitting in the cold shed for a week, thats not good for me as I use it to plow snow. I don't use mine as a party rig so using the battery for a while when its not running is not an issue. We do make frequent stops when riding to let the dogs run and with the radio on the whole time I have not had any problems getting started again most stops maybe a half an hour or so. I ditched the stock battery mainly because it was useless to me and to save a little weight.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
You can do it just fine.. and shouldn't have any issues from it. The point of the dual battery is to isolate the accessory drain from the stock system.. that way you always have adequate voltage for the machine functions. If you 100% know that you'll never pull the larger battery down, with accessory draw, enough to impede the systems function, then go for it. But that's what is nice bout the dual setup. You can't draw the stock battery it down with accessory power. You may lose accessory power but you will not lose systems voltage. You can always add a battery under the seat of the t5 type with a $60 true isolator in between and achieve it all! Or add an oddessy under the hood if you won't have large accessory amp draw.
sorry i took so long ive been busy with work. I appreciate everyone for responding. Do you guys have a link for the isolator? It sounds like the dual battery set up is the way to go. Oh yeah 1200 miles no major issues loving this 1000-5

harrelljr99

harrelljr99

Feb 8, 2017
Georgia
Maybe this wouldn’t be an issue but thought I’d ask someone who would probably know better than I:

I’ve always thought ideally it’s considered best to keep water away from the battery’s topside. The terminals reside in this area, which creates power issues. Consider this situation:

Water drips onto the terminals (or submerged)
water forms a path between the terminals
Current begins to run between the terminals
The battery discharges with incredible speed
The water creates an electrical pathway, which leads to power leaving the battery.

What do you think...could this be an issue if I installed a larger battery under seat??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ultrasonic1
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have two batteries on a P5. Second one is under the seat at about the same height as the stocker. Neither is a water tight box and they've both been submerged at the same time, never had an issue yet.

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
One big battery is better than a small one, but one big one and one small one is better yet. If it is hard to start on the small one you might get one with more amps that would give more cranking power. If you using a winch the small one will certainly not keep up and you could overdraw from the large battery and not be able o start.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Maybe this wouldn’t be an issue but thought I’d ask someone who would probably know better than I:

I’ve always thought ideally it’s considered best to keep water away from the battery’s topside. The terminals reside in this area, which creates power issues. Consider this situation:

Water drips onto the terminals (or submerged)
water forms a path between the terminals
Current begins to run between the terminals
The battery discharges with incredible speed
The water creates an electrical pathway, which leads to power leaving the battery.

What do you think...could this be an issue if I installed a larger battery under seat??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a concern. If it was 125 ac house voltage, definitely a problem. 12 volts dc, no problem.

Reactions: JTW and Ultrasonic1
Ultrasonic1

Ultrasonic1

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Nomadic
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had an optima under the seat for a couple years, with a stinger isolator and the factory battery. I’ve got the terminals on the battery siliconed up good since it goes underwater often. I’ve also got remote terminals under the hood connected to the optima by 4 gauge jumper cables I cut the clamps off of and replaced with copper ends. I’ve jump started my Duramax with my buggy. All of my accessories run off the optima via the remote terminals under the hood. I’m sure there is a better way to do it, but so far this setup has worked flawlessly for me.
AB8C230C 6B0F 45D3 A600 BB52466194BF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!