Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
June 8, 2015 1:00 P.M.
Ministry of Transportation

Ontario is enhancing on-road access for more types of off-road vehicles (ORVs) and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) while increasing safety requirements for riders.

Beginning July 1, 2015, the province is implementing the following changes to ensure that ORV and ATV riders safely reach their destination:

• More types of ORVs and ATVs, including two-up ATVs, side-by-side ATVs and utility-terrain vehicles (UTVs), will be allowed to use the shoulder of public roads.
  • All riders -- including drivers and passengers of all ages -- will have to wear a helmet and use a seatbelt or foot rests, where applicable
This month, the province is promoting the new rules before they come in force July 1st, 2015 to ensure that municipalities have enough time to make necessary by-law amendments and to remind riders and drivers about the change.

The province is also allowing an education period to take place between July 1 to Sept. 1, 2015, before violation tickets are issued. However, during this time police officers may still lay a charge through a summons.

Ontario is home to thousands of kilometres of recreational trails making it a popular destination for riders from across Canada and the world. The province consulted with a wide array of trail, municipal, industry, enforcement, as well as health and safety stakeholders to ensure the rules strike the right balance.

Enhancing Ontario's tourism and recreational opportunities is part of the government's plan for Ontario. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.

Quick Facts
  • Off-road vehicle (ORVs) is a broad term that can include single-rider, two-up and side-by-side ATVs and utility terrain vehicles.
  • Drivers operating a permitted ORV along a road or highway must hold at least a G2 or M2 driver’s licence, and their vehicle must be registered and insured.
  • Previous to July 1, 2015, only single-rider ATV’s could operate along certain provincial and municipal highways.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
I wish we could see this happen in more places. They have never bothered me here but once and I had a small trailer with a bale of hay on it.

Told the local clown I was using it as farm equipment just like a tractor.

Reactions: sharp
pauln286

pauln286

Mar 29, 2017
Georgian Bluffs, Ontario, Ca.
Ownership

1. 700-4
The Provincial laws have allowed for the local regions/counties to establish their local bylaws. I live in Grey county and basically here most roads are open to ATV use between May 1st and November 10th sunrise to sunset. The key being "most" roads. That seems to be decided by the local towns and townships. Now the province has open up the laws EXCEPT on provincial highways. You know, the ones the province is responsible for. Thankfully last year the expanded the law to allow all ATV's. Before that is was just for single rider bikes.

I live at the border of Bruce county and the only roads that are open there that I am aware of is within the town of Wiarton and small sections county roads that are needed to connect the ATV trails.

Every area is different so check with the local clubs and/or law enforcement prior to hitting the pavement.

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!