Out on the Ranch

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Good afternoon Ya'll
This is my Talon on a ground squirrel elimination expedition, one of my regular uses for the Talon, this is private grazing land so shooting from a vehicle for ground squirrels is permissible in our great communist State of Kalifornia.
The boom attached to roof rack is removable with a single pin, it allows me to use the winch to load heavy stuff into the cargo area without stressing my old beat up body, it's also handy for lifting a dead deer or pig for dressing out.
Have a great day.
IMG 7785sxs

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Oh that thing hanging off the rear end is a rifle rest for areas with huge ground squirrel populations, I use the winch line to lift it up and down also. some of these squirrel towns are so big I can sit in one place for hours especially in the spring when the grass is green.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What's your rifle type/mfr/caliber? Distances you're shooting? If I didn't hate Kalifornia so much (I refuse to travel without an 'equalizer' or 6) I'd offer to join ya at my own expense but ... such is life.

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
What's your rifle type/mfr/caliber? Distances you're shooting? If I didn't hate Kalifornia so much (I refuse to travel without an 'equalizer' or 6) I'd offer to join ya at my own expense but ... such is life.
My rifles are all custom built, I own and operate a custom rifle business so I can build my rifles, that particular rifle is a trued Remington 700 action, with a Krieger barrel, H and S varmint stock and Leopold scope, it is chambered in 22 BR using Lapua cases, my Longest measured one shot hit with this rifle was 476 yards, most of my shots are 300 yards or less.
Most of California is great to live in, we have been taken over by the liberal population centers in the Bay area and LA basin.
In Kern County where I live the county sheriff will issue and encourage people get a concealed carry permit. we may be the last free county here !
My wife and I always have an equalizer, I would move but I'm to stubborn to let the Liberal sonsab****es run me off.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
This is my Talon on a ground squirrel elimination expedition, one of my regular uses for the Talon
Say, do you hire out. I’m infested, and they’re as bad as pack rats on equipment….😳

Reactions: crewcabrob
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Good afternoon Ya'll
This is my Talon on a ground squirrel elimination expedition, one of my regular uses for the Talon, this is private grazing land so shooting from a vehicle for ground squirrels is permissible in our great communist State of Kalifornia.
The boom attached to roof rack is removable with a single pin, it allows me to use the winch to load heavy stuff into the cargo area without stressing my old beat up body, it's also handy for lifting a dead deer or pig for dressing out.
Have a great day.View attachment 298205
Btw, where the hell is that terrain, looks lunar…..😂

Last edited:
Reactions: crewcabrob
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Btw, where the he’ll is that terrain, looks lunar…..😂
That is the Sierra Nevada mountain foot hills on the western slope, east side of the San Joaquin valley, it looks like that because of extreme drought and cattlemen getting all the grazing they can.
In the winter and spring if we get rain those hills turn emerald green with lots of grass then dry out for the summer.
My shooting buddy and I usually shoot for sport, but yes I have hired out in the past to get rid of ground squirrels on horse ranches on the coast where they can't use bait, precision shooting is the only safe way.
Where are you located, we might make a deal :)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is the Sierra Nevada mountain foot hills on the western slope, east side of the San Joaquin valley, it looks like that because of extreme drought and cattlemen getting all the grazing they can.
In the winter and spring if we get rain those hills turn emerald green with lots of grass then dry out for the summer.
My shooting buddy and I usually shoot for sport, but yes I have hired out in the past to get rid of ground squirrels on horse ranches on the coast where they can't use bait, precision shooting is the only safe way.
Where are you located, we might make a deal :)
I'm in Kalirado ruined by millions of liberal Kalifornians fleeing the state they ruined with their screwed up politics - which they were happy to bring here with them, like rats carrying the plague. :confused: So when you give up 'there', I can't recommend 'here', it's become just as bad as 'there' - two great geographically beautiful states ruined by liberal politics. :confused:

Are your ground squirrels the same as our prairie dogs (which I think are different critters)?

Are SxSs allowed anywhere in Death Valley, one of my favorite places?

Last edited:
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I agree about the liberals leaving the state, they take their poison every where they go, but lots of them are not Californians they came from all over the country in the 50"s and 60's for the jobs then ruined our state retired or sold out for massive profits and moved on to other places where they drive up the cost of housing so much the local folks can't afford a house.
The newer liberals here came for free medical and welfare while driving a new Escalade !

Yes prairie dogs and ground squirrels are different critters, ground squirrels are typically smaller than P dogs and don't usually live in as large towns as P dogs, but they are just as much fun to shoot, a good high velocity bullet will cause a squirrel to disintegrate on impact.

Death Valley is a National Park so probably no side by sides or any vehicle that is not street legal in the park. The BLM ground outside the park should be accessible, but they have their own rules and it will differ from one area to another, check before you go, they probably require helmets.

Interesting spelling I've never seen Kalirado spelled that way, but it make sense.

If you are serious about shooting your P dogs I could be tempted to make trip.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good afternoon Ya'll
Have a great day.View attachment 298205
I was wondering why there were no more pigs in the ranch up here in Northern California. They left and went down there. Its not unusual to see a decline in them up here about every 10 years, then they come back an tear the crap out of everything. But they are just not coming back this time. It's been about 6 years since the population has dropped. They sure are good to eat. We usually put two a year in our freezer along with a couple of Blacktail and that is pretty good for our meet supply. Sure do miss that wild pork.
Our Zone A North deer season just ended September 26th. We put two in the freezer. My wife's buck was bigger than mine, but we won't talk about that. :). We don't have ground squirrel on the ranch, glad of that. I do enjoy hunting them, been awhile though, not too many places you can go to hunt/shot them.

Reactions: Squeegee
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I was wondering why there were no more pigs in the ranch up here in Northern California. They left and went down there. Its not unusual to see a decline in them up here about every 10 years, then they come back an tear the crap out of everything. But they are just not coming back this time. It's been about 6 years since the population has dropped. They sure are good to eat. We usually put two a year in our freezer along with a couple of Blacktail and that is pretty good for our meet supply. Sure do miss that wild pork.
Our Zone A North deer season just ended September 26th. We put two in the freezer. My wife's buck was bigger than mine, but we won't talk about that. :). We don't have ground squirrel on the ranch, glad of that. I do enjoy hunting them, been awhile though, not too many places you can go to hunt/shot them.
Pigs are getting scarce any where on public land, best chance of getting one is guided private land hunts, I've only done one guided hunt that was free, I don't really care to have a guide because the cost of the pig gets outrageous but I don't mind letting them clean the dead pig.

What part of Northern Ca are you in, every spring around Alturas, Surprise Valley and Fort Bidwell they have what they call squirrel wars where they shoot multiple thousands of squirrels out of the alfalfa fields its great fun if you get to go, take multiple rifles because the shooting can be so fast your barrel will overheat quickly.

Have a great day

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Pigs are getting scarce any where on public land, best chance of getting one is guided private land hunts, I've only done one guided hunt that was free, I don't really care to have a guide because the cost of the pig gets outrageous but I don't mind letting them clean the dead pig.

What part of Northern Ca are you in, every spring around Alturas, Surprise Valley and Fort Bidwell they have what they call squirrel wars where they shoot multiple thousands of squirrels out of the alfalfa fields its great fun if you get to go, take multiple rifles because the shooting can be so fast your barrel will overheat quickly.

Have a great day
I use to guide for pig hunts. We just don't have the pigs here on the ranch anymore (I didn't over hunting them), but managed the hunts so we wouldn't. All the other ranches around us that didn't hunt them much doesn't have anymore either. I guided on a few other ranches with cattle that had a pig problem.
Yes, I have heard of the squirrel hunts up by Alturas. I hear that it has gotten so popular now, that they are limiting the number of people that hunt.
I'm about 2.5 hours north of San Francisco.

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
That would put you up around Hopland/ Ukiah area, I have cousins up in that region, spent lots of time on the Russian river about a million years ago. I don't know what goes on over in Surprise Valley these days I shot squirrels out of Fort Bidwell in the early 90's I liked the North end of the valley to get away from the free for all shooting down toward Cedarville where it could get dangerous in a hurry.
Here's another photo of my Talon on a camping trip into Monache Meadows/ Golden Trout Wilderness, loaded with camping gear and supplies for 2 weeks, that was my first trip using the roof rack can't do without it now.
IMG 1276monache

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
You wouldn't by chance know Varmint Al would you?
Varmint Al's Handloading/Reloading Page he used to be in the Cali area and has a wonder page full of great information. if i remember correctly he was rather fond of squirrel shooting also.
I did not know Varmint Al, he was up North about 230 miles from me here in Bakersfield.
I did read some of his information over the years, I also heard he was an actual rocket scientist :)

Reactions: Squeegee and CID
lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
That would put you up around Hopland/ Ukiah area, I have cousins up in that region, spent lots of time on the Russian river about a million years ago. I don't know what goes on over in Surprise Valley these days I shot squirrels out of Fort Bidwell in the early 90's I liked the North end of the valley to get away from the free for all shooting down toward Cedarville where it could get dangerous in a hurry.
Here's another photo of my Talon on a camping trip into Monache Meadows/ Golden Trout Wilderness, loaded with camping gear and supplies for 2 weeks, that was my first trip using the roof rack can't do without it now.View attachment 298951
You would be correct in the location. Hunted a lot of pigs and deer on the Holland and Cloverdale area. That rack looks pretty handy. We use to pack into wilderness areas with our horses and fish some of those high mountain lakes. Marble Mountain wilderness being one of them. You sure learn how to pack your stuff when it all goes on a horse.

Reactions: Smitty335
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
You would be correct in the location. Hunted a lot of pigs and deer on the Holland and Cloverdale area. That rack looks pretty handy. We use to pack into wilderness areas with our horses and fish some of those high mountain lakes. Marble Mountain wilderness being one of them. You sure learn how to pack your stuff when it all goes on a horse.
Do you Know any Ingles, Johnson's or Phelps from Hopland, Ukiah or Booneville areas ?
I used to raise Quarter horses and Paints, did a lot of packing when I was young, switched to quads then finally to the Talon.

Reactions: Smitty335
lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
I know Johnson from Boonville.
I had Quarter horses that I packed and hunted with also.
Used quads for hunting. Then SxS. Don't have the horses anymore.
I had the Honda trail 90 that I hunted with, then the 3 wheelers came out. I got a Big Red 3 wheeler that I pig hunted with with my dogs before the 4 wheelers came out.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!