Out on the Ranch

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah the overpopulation of ground squirrels back in Cali is a big issue in many places, they carry fleas that carry plague, and degrade hillsides causing mudlsides too (personal experience with that). I always had great results with cheap and effective 22 LR hollow point. Our Beagle Rat Terrier mix was also an amazingly effective squirrel killer. In areas where they don't try to cut back on coyotes they do a pretty good job too.

In Texas now, and several detailed studies have shown that the Californians moving here are actually more conservative than the average native Texan. The biggest factor affecting a slight shift to the left is younger native born Texans. Go figure. Can't speak for Colorado of course. No surprise but in all states it is the big city folks that lean left. If you do a red/blue overlay of all states it is pretty obvious where the densely populated counties lean. Bat sh8T crazy folks in both parties these days make me not want to identify with any party right now.

Regarding feral pig population they used to fluctuate up and down a lot on our ranch, and many claimed it was due to "hog cholera" sweeping through and killing them off every decade or so. Just a possibility.

Last edited:
lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah the overpopulation of ground squirrels back in Cali is a big issue in many places, they carry fleas that carry plague, and degrade hillsides causing mudlsides too (personal experience with that). I always had great results with cheap and effective 22 LR hollow point. Our Beagle Rat Terrier mix was also an amazingly effective squirrel killer. In areas where they don't try to cut back on coyotes they do a pretty good job too.

In Texas now, and several detailed studies have shown that the Californians moving here are actually more conservative than the average native Texan. The biggest factor affecting a slight shift to the left is younger native born Texans. Go figure. Can't speak for Colorado of course. No surprise but in all states it is the big city folks that lean left. If you do a red/blue overlay of all states it is pretty obvious where the densely populated counties lean. Bat sh8T crazy folks in both parties these days make me not want to identify with any party right now.

Regarding feral pig population they used to fluctuate up and down a lot on our ranch, and many claimed it was due to "hog cholera" sweeping through and killing them off every decade or so. Just a possibility.
That's what it seems like on the the ranch here. About every 10 years, the pig population drops and then comes back pretty quick. But I never find any dead pigs around, because I use to think the same thing. Haven't seen a pig on the ranch for about 6 or 7 years. But.....just the other day I finally saw some pig rooting!!
IMG 20221217 104047507

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!