Outdoor kitchen countertops?

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I built an outdoor kitchen about 5 years ago. We use it all the time but the tops are not holding up. I used 1” cedar for the tops thinking it was the best choice to be out in the elements. The kitchen is covered but rain and moisture still get in there when it’s windy. The cedar has warped and looks like s*** from all the grease splatter from the blackstone. I want to redo them this weekend but not sure what to use. Oak? Laminate? Butcher block? Concrete? There is a used restaurant supply place by me that has stainless countertops. Those would work but would take some fabrication.

Figure with the wide range of knowledge here someone may have the answer!

Thanks

Pics from when it was first built.

IMG 7078
IMG 7076

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My customers that have once use Some sort of hard surface, like concrete, granite, ect. You can try compost decking but it might melt getting heat from your cook top. If you do any type of wood, you would have to do a poly urethane on it and lots and lots of coats and will probably have to reapply it yearly to keep up its durability. Not sure about u, but I wouldn't want to do that. Do the job one time with a hard surface. Buy once Cry once.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I built an outdoor kitchen about 5 years ago. We use it all the time but the tops are not holding up. I used 1” cedar for the tops thinking it was the best choice to be out in the elements. The kitchen is covered but rain and moisture still get in there when it’s windy. The cedar has warped and looks like s*** from all the grease splatter from the blackstone. I’m want to redo them this weekend but not sure what to use. Oak? Laminate? Butcher block? Concrete? There a used restaurant supply place by me that has stainless countertops. Those would work but would take some fabrication.

Figure with the wide range of knowledge her someone may have the answer!

Thanks

Pic from when it was first built.

View attachment 425646View attachment 425647
Might look into Corian countertops by DuPont, durable and readily available at LOWE'S , Home Depot, etc.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I built an outdoor kitchen about 5 years ago. We use it all the time but the tops are not holding up. I used 1” cedar for the tops thinking it was the best choice to be out in the elements. The kitchen is covered but rain and moisture still get in there when it’s windy. The cedar has warped and looks like s*** from all the grease splatter from the blackstone. I’m want to redo them this weekend but not sure what to use. Oak? Laminate? Butcher block? Concrete? There a used restaurant supply place by me that has stainless countertops. Those would work but would take some fabrication.

Figure with the wide range of knowledge her someone may have the answer!

Thanks

Pic from when it was first built.

Looks nice 👍

For outdoors like that I'd recommend a man-made material. Quartz, or Corian would probably be best. Anything else and you'll have to seal/treat it ever so often. If you're set on wood, Teak would be my go to, again.....have to oil it now n then but it'll last a lifetime.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So basically a hard surface of some sort.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I did my own concrete countertops and they turned out decent.

Followed the Michael Builds channel on YouTube.

He has a bunch of variations also.

Was a reasonably easy and fun project.

IMG 0953

IMG 0978

It's coming up on 5 years and they are holding up really well.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I built an outdoor kitchen about 5 years ago. We use it all the time but the tops are not holding up. I used 1” cedar for the tops thinking it was the best choice to be out in the elements. The kitchen is covered but rain and moisture still get in there when it’s windy. The cedar has warped and looks like s*** from all the grease splatter from the blackstone. I want to redo them this weekend but not sure what to use. Oak? Laminate? Butcher block? Concrete? There is a used restaurant supply place by me that has stainless countertops. Those would work but would take some fabrication.

Figure with the wide range of knowledge here someone may have the answer!

Thanks

Pics from when it was first built.

My neighbor made a countertop with the left over composite decking from his deck and it has stood up well.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks nice 👍

For outdoors like that I'd recommend a man-made material. Quartz, or Corian would probably be best. Anything else and you'll have to seal/treat it ever so often. If you're set on wood, Teak would be my go to, again.....have to oil it now n then but it'll last a lifetime.
Corian stains pretty easily doesn't it? We never see them anymore around here. I recall going to a house and they looked terrible after a yr or 2. I'd do concrete personally

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Corian stains pretty easily doesn't it? We never see them anymore around here. I recall going to a house and they looked terrible after a yr or 2. I'd do concrete personally
It can stain, and scratches also, but it's pretty simple to bring it back to new as needed.

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Appreciate all the replies! Back when I first built this I had planned on doing a concrete top. Plans changed last minute when I decided to do the cedar. I think I am going to do the concrete. Hopefully I’ll be able to post back with some good pics by Sunday!

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director