P1000 P 1000-5 and Elka suspension, worth every penny!

2Ladiesdad

May 31, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I posted here about 2 months ago about how I was disappointed in my pioneer purchase because it rode so rough I would physically hurt the next day after riding rough terrain. I ordered Elka stage 3 front and rear shocks through iShock slightly over 2 months ago. I've put about 20 miles on them this weekend on different terrain, this thing feels like a different machine completely. Obviously it's no RZR and the suspension travel is still limited but it rides much smoother and handles completely different, it's still top heavy but doesn't have so much body roll now. If anyone is on the fence like I was about trading it in or upgrading suspension I'd say upgrade the suspension. I wanted a machine that was more than just a toy, I can use this around the house to work with or hit the trails with my family of 4 comfortably. Yes there are cheaper options for suspension, I had experience with elka in the past on my 450R and they were always the gold standard for Atv suspension, there are alot more options for suspension than there used to be. Darren at iShock recommended the Elka system for the pioneer due to its limited suspension travel, he said he would sell me what I wanted but the Fox shocks have a issue with bottoming out and Walker Evans is slightly more expensive, King makes them for the pioneer also but King is ungodly expensive and their build time is over a year out. I ordered from iShock after speaking with Elka directly and talking to Darren, iShock offers a money back guarantee, if I wasn't completely happy with them he said he would change what needed to be changed or give me a full refund on them. It took just over 8 weeks for me to get them because Elkas production is so backed up from being closed due to the Coronavirus, the results were definitely worth the wait! It might be putting lipstick on a pig but it's a pretty pig 😂.
20200731 140114
20200731 140101
Snapchat 1459550948

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I posted here about 2 months ago about how I was disappointed in my pioneer purchase because it rode so rough I would physically hurt the next day after riding rough terrain. I ordered Elka stage 3 front and rear shocks through iShock slightly over 2 months ago. I've put about 20 miles on them this weekend on different terrain, this thing feels like a different machine completely. Obviously it's no RZR and the suspension travel is still limited but it rides much smoother and handles completely different, it's still top heavy but doesn't have so much body roll now. If anyone is on the fence like I was about trading it in or upgrading suspension I'd say upgrade the suspension. I wanted a machine that was more than just a toy, I can use this around the house to work with or hit the trails with my family of 4 comfortably. Yes there are cheaper options for suspension, I had experience with elka in the past on my 450R and they were always the gold standard for Atv suspension, there are alot more options for suspension than there used to be. Darren at iShock recommended the Elka system for the pioneer due to its limited suspension travel, he said he would sell me what I wanted but the Fox shocks have a issue with bottoming out and Walker Evans is slightly more expensive, King makes them for the pioneer also but King is ungodly expensive and their build time is over a year out. I ordered from iShock after speaking with Elka directly and talking to Darren, iShock offers a money back guarantee, if I wasn't completely happy with them he said he would change what needed to be changed or give me a full refund on them. It took just over 8 weeks for me to get them because Elkas production is so backed up from being closed due to the Coronavirus, the results were definitely worth the wait! It might be putting lipstick on a pig but it's a pretty pig 😂. View attachment 216320View attachment 216321View attachment 216322
Nice

t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool, I'm very glad you found your happiness with your Pioneer!

Couple of questions:

1. Did these provide any increased lift?

2. What sort of modifications were required and how was ease of installation?

3. Using your stock 12" (I believe) wheels and tires without any rubbing?

4. I assume there are other "stages" available. Why/how did you settle on the "Stage 3"?

5. Cost?

6. Was realignment required?

Reactions: Raynman and Isaiah

2Ladiesdad

May 31, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool, I'm very glad you found your happiness with your Pioneer!

Couple of questions:

1. Did these provide any increased lift?

2. What sort of modifications were required and how was ease of installation?

3. Using your stock 12" (I believe) wheels and tires without any rubbing?

4. I assume there are other "stages" available. Why/how did you settle on the "Stage 3"?

5. Cost?

6. Was realignment required?
I believe the stock ride height is just over 10 inches (I got a little excited and forgot to measure before I pulled my stock shocks). Right now I'm sitting at just over 13 inches of clearance to the bottom of the frame. No modifications at all, just remove the stock shocks and install the new ones. Yes stock wheels and tires, no rubbing. Elkas some in stage 1-5, I settled on stage 3 because I wanted the adjustment knob on the shocks, the front are piggybacks and the rear are remote reservoir. They cost me $2050 delivered to my door. I need to set the toe adjustment, but it doesn't appear to be out of alignment by looking at it though I'm sure it is.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I believe the stock ride height is just over 10 inches (I got a little excited and forgot to measure before I pulled my stock shocks). Right now I'm sitting at just over 13 inches of clearance to the bottom of the frame. No modifications at all, just remove the stock shocks and install the new ones. Yes stock wheels and tires, no rubbing. Elkas some in stage 1-5, I settled on stage 3 because I wanted the adjustment knob on the shocks, the front are piggybacks and the rear are remote reservoir. They cost me $2050 delivered to my door. I need to set the toe adjustment, but it doesn't appear to be out of alignment by looking at it though I'm sure it is.
Monitor your CV axel joint temp while riding a stretch of road to the next trail, have a friend who did the same thing and was blowing grease out the boot, smoking like a freight train. He adjusted it down, issue solved. I run Elka 5's, gained 1 inch and have had no issues with axels CV joints running in CO. for extended runs. Enjoy your Elka's, it's hard not to. Happy Trails!

2Ladiesdad

May 31, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i ordered june 1'st.i lay the blame solely on ishock.who the hell knows when they subbed my order.i don't think they've even been built yet
That's strange, I had nothing but a good experience with I shock. I'm not sure where you are located but I'm within a 8-10 hour drive from where elka is based in Canada so shipping times for me are going to be shorter than most.

advertisement

2Ladiesdad

May 31, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
west coast,B.C.
I'm on the east coast of the U.S. Elka is pretty much directly north of me just across the Canadian border. Either way it sucks, I know I was getting a little fed up waiting 8 weeks when I expected to wait 3-5 weeks. Everyone is behind right now from being shut down.

R

rickoshea

I'm on the east coast of the U.S. Elka is pretty much directly north of me just across the Canadian border. Either way it sucks, I know I was getting a little fed up waiting 8 weeks when I expected to wait 3-5 weeks. Everyone is behind right now from being shut down.
i was told 3-5 by Darren as well.when i voiced my displeasure after 7 weeks of waiting he started getting unprofessional.i won't deal with him now.

2Ladiesdad

May 31, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i was told 3-5 by Darren as well.when i voiced my displeasure after 7 weeks of waiting he started getting unprofessional.i won't deal with him now.
Id be upset also if he had gotten unprofessional with me, but all my interactions with him even asking where my shocks were after 6-7 weeks he was completely professional and courteous. I know he told me 3-5 weeks but he is at the mercy of the manufacturer and can only relay what they are telling him every thing is jacked up right now because of the coronavirus. I'm not making excuses for him at all, just stating my experience, there is no excuse for being unprofessional with your customers especially after spending the kind of money these shocks cost.

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I posted here about 2 months ago about how I was disappointed in my pioneer purchase because it rode so rough I would physically hurt the next day after riding rough terrain. I ordered Elka stage 3 front and rear shocks through iShock slightly over 2 months ago. I've put about 20 miles on them this weekend on different terrain, this thing feels like a different machine completely. Obviously it's no RZR and the suspension travel is still limited but it rides much smoother and handles completely different, it's still top heavy but doesn't have so much body roll now. If anyone is on the fence like I was about trading it in or upgrading suspension I'd say upgrade the suspension. I wanted a machine that was more than just a toy, I can use this around the house to work with or hit the trails with my family of 4 comfortably. Yes there are cheaper options for suspension, I had experience with elka in the past on my 450R and they were always the gold standard for Atv suspension, there are alot more options for suspension than there used to be. Darren at iShock recommended the Elka system for the pioneer due to its limited suspension travel, he said he would sell me what I wanted but the Fox shocks have a issue with bottoming out and Walker Evans is slightly more expensive, King makes them for the pioneer also but King is ungodly expensive and their build time is over a year out. I ordered from iShock after speaking with Elka directly and talking to Darren, iShock offers a money back guarantee, if I wasn't completely happy with them he said he would change what needed to be changed or give me a full refund on them. It took just over 8 weeks for me to get them because Elkas production is so backed up from being closed due to the Coronavirus, the results were definitely worth the wait! It might be putting lipstick on a pig but it's a pretty pig 😂. View attachment 216320View attachment 216321View attachment 216322
Is your P1K5 a Deluxe with the Load Leveling Rear Shocks ?? I've heard these are a bear to replace ?

Reactions: Raynman and Lady01
Honda1000-5

Honda1000-5

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2018
New Brunswick Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice review,I'm considering them.I'm in NB, Canada and called a suspension shop asking about Walker Evans, they sell them but leaned me towards ELKA Stage 3's since they're made here and parts are easier to get. They will cost me $3000.00 of our Northern Peso's with tax included---install $75.00/hr.
I'm only about an 5 hour drive from where they are made but the dealer told me to count on 8 weeks for delivery due to COVID.

Last edited:
NickN

NickN

Dec 7, 2019
Boulder Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered Stage 3's July 8th, its Aug 14th today so I'm at a little over 5 weeks. Anxious to get them. My 4 year old girls were not enjoying the stock ride on rocky trails, "Daddy its too bumpy".

advertisement