P1000 P1k snorkel and snow question

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First, thanks for this forum. It is an amazing information source!

I finally got to get off of snow removal equipment and had a chance to run my P1k a bit yesterday...to inspect plow work :(. That said, I have several water crossings in my local AO and intend to do a snorkel mod ASAP as spring is coming. My limited driving with tracks in the snow under certain conditions (deep powder), has snow going everywhere. Driving over deep snow is in low range WOT with the P1k often engulfed in a cloud of snow dust. So much, that I actually have stopped and checked the stock inlet for snow accumulation (zero thank you Honda engineering). I am wondering if running a snorkel year round might not be a good thing if year round includes deep powder which would just suck a metric ton of snow dust under certain conditions. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Honda Road 2 9 17

Reactions: Corona1
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First, thanks for this forum. It is an amazing information source!

I finally got to get off of snow removal equipment and had a chance to run my P1k a bit yesterday...to inspect plow work :(. That said, I have several water crossings in my local AO and intend to do a snorkel mod ASAP as spring is coming. My limited driving with tracks in the snow under certain conditions (deep powder), has snow going everywhere. Driving over deep snow is in low range WOT with the P1k often engulfed in a cloud of snow dust. So much, that I actually have stopped and checked the stock inlet for snow accumulation (zero thank you Honda engineering). I am wondering if running a snorkel year round might not be a good thing if year round includes deep powder which would just suck a metric ton of snow dust under certain conditions. Anyone have experience with this issue?

View attachment 32636
Cover the intake with Frogzskin. It's the same material used on intakes for snowmobiles.

J

JTW

Cover the intake with Frogzskin. It's the same material used on intakes for snowmobiles.
I have both the regular snorkel riser that I'm making a frogzskin prefilter screen for and a second prefilter Head I can put on if it's extremely dusty. As you can see in the pics.. I put a stainless quick release colar on mine to switch quickly between heads.

IMG 1787 IMG 2081

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have both the regular snorkel riser that I'm making a frogzskin prefilter screen for and a second prefilter Head I can put on if it's extremely dusty. As you can see in the pics.. I put a stainless quick release colar on mine to switch quickly between heads.

View attachment 32643 View attachment 32644

That collar is already in my cart on Amazon, and the good people on this forum are helping me pay for it. I took the gift card for winning the January ROTM :D

J

JTW

That collar is already in my cart on Amazon, and the good people on this forum are helping me pay for it. I took the gift card for winning the January ROTM :D
Great! A feller could probably get by without it.. but I was afraid with the filter head that it would or could eventually get pulled or pushed down and choke out the machine.

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
J

JTW

I would install 2nd battery under seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah.. I considered that and may wish I had eventually but it all worked out. I do think I'm really going to like the two battery system though.. well, when I finally get it all rigged.

Reactions: Ridem32 and AKRider
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a good option if you don't intend to install a second battery under the hood.
I'm definitely going with 2nd battery after a few lot temp cranking/starting issues. I have a soft top, heater, wiper and some other stuff sitting at my dealer (if I can ever get down there) waiting to be installed. My son is inches on pulling the trigger on a P1K deluxe and I'm trying to time a trip to pull mine down the hill and pull his up on the same turn around as it is 120 miles round trip I think the heater is going to conflict with an under seat battery, but not sure. I'm really waiting to get the dealer stuff done so I can either work around it or redo it "my way."

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I'm definitely going with 2nd battery after a few lot temp cranking/starting issues. I have a soft top, heater, wiper and some other stuff sitting at my dealer (if I can ever get down there) waiting to be installed. My son is inches on pulling the trigger on a P1K deluxe and I'm trying to time a trip to pull mine down the hill and pull his up on the same turn around as it is 120 miles round trip I think the heater is going to conflict with an under seat battery, but not sure. I'm really waiting to get the dealer stuff done so I can either work around it or redo it "my way."
I'm not familiar with how the heater works.. but with limited storage I wanted to keep my under seat open.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The OEM Honda heater would eliminate the option of putting a battery under the seat.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How big is that thing???
I am not sure. I have only looked at the honda install instructions and in their pics it seems to take up the majority of the space under the seat. My heater is a generic one and i mounted it through the lower kick pannel under the middle front seat

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: AKRider and JTW
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm not gonna read through the thread, I'll just give you advice to live by.

Only time you take the snorkel off is when you drop it at the shop.

Frog skinz.

That is literally all. Always always have a snorkel. My local dealer doesn't have any problem with snorkels. Some dealers do.

Always.
Have.
Snorkel.
Frog skinz.

What your poor? Go to Walmart buy pantyhose for ten bucks and zip tie it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Frog skinz.

That is literally all. Always always have a snorkel. My local dealer doesn't have any problem with snorkels. Some dealers do.

Always.
Have.
Snorkel.
Frog skinz.

LMFAO!!!!

Reactions: AKRider
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry

Frog skinz.

Always.
Have.
Snorkel.
Frog skinz.

$10 bucks that's high as a cats back. I'm sure there is a grannie that lives close by. Grannies are sweet they will give you a old pair

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
$10 bucks that's high as a cats back. I'm sure there is a grannie that lives close by. Grannies are sweet they will give you a old pair

Yeah. 10 bucks is steep. Ask your sister if she has an old pair you could borrow.

In all seriousness I think they are less than a dollar per.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!