P500 and New York State Law

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
My son has a P500 being delivered to the house on Monday. :) I ordered the hard top and scratch resistant windshield which will follow in about a week. I have been absorbing as much as I can on the P500. I quickly found this site and see it will be a great help for any maintenance, or repairs. :)

I was surprised to find that NY is the only state that does not allow SxS to be registered. With the definition being an ATV that is either wider than 70" or more than 1000lbs. The P500 easily passes the width, but is a mere 10lbs too heavy. Also, in NY all ATVs have to be registered, even if it is only for your property. While there has been a number of attempts to change this, they have all been shot down.

Anyway here is my quandary. My son lives in CT, so he will not have to pay state sales tax and registration which would be around $700. The dealer says he can register it as ATV, but it would have to be put in my name, and of course, the fees paid. The primary riding will be on our 60 acres, and other adjoining properties with permission, which appears to be legal. The issue arises when using public ATV trails, where it has to be a registered ATV, and no UTV are allowed. I can't say for certain that I wouldn't want to do that sometime in the future. But, if I go tax free way, when I go to the DMV that might hit a snag at the 10lb over.

Anyway, if there are any NYer's that would like to share advice, please do. I will have to call dealer tomorrow at the latest to change the present tax free plan.

Reactions: Ollie
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
It was delivered yesterday and it truly fits on the back of a pick-up. Took it for a few laps around the fields, before dark. :)

P500s

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Fuzzy, sorry for not responding to your request. I tried to look in to it but no luck seeing I'm in NC. I know we have a few in the community from NY but don't remember who.
Glad you got it home safe. Now get out there and hit the trails.
C-Ya around the community.

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
My wife works @ DMV in NYS, I asked her and she said if it's over 1000lbs it's a no go on registering it. I registered my Pioneer 700-4 in PA & mounted a DOT safety triangle on the back. I have passed both the county sheriff & NYS troopers while traveling the side of the road and have never been given a second like for what it's worth ;)

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thx. I do plan at stopping by the Central Tractor and getting a safety triangle or two. I need one for a replacement on a tractor, as well.

If I lived near some of the extensive trail systems that they have up north, I probably would have gone the other way. Dealer must decide that there was no gas in the tank to put it on a 10lb diet. ;)

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
NYS: 1. (a) "All terrain vehicle" or "ATV" means any self-propelled vehicle which is manufactured for sale for operation primarily on off-highway trails or off-highway competitions and only incidentally operated on public highways providing that such vehicle does not exceed seventy inches in width, or one thousand pounds dry weight.

It's Odd that Honda only lists wet weight as surely it would be under 1000 lbs dry weight and meet the ATV standards for the state.

B

buster

Aug 31, 2014
Dry weight is 985- that's without fluids.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
scottn57 said:
or one thousand pounds dry weight.

I had not seen the "dry weight" spec in the verbiage I had found earlier. Technically then it would be classified as ATV, which a dealer in NY is required by law to register prior to delivery.

Took the P500 for its 1st night time cruise around the property. That was fun!

Hardtop and windshield should be in this week, and will stop by Walmart for the large action packer.

K

kensmithjr

Sep 16, 2019
Prattsburgh, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys. I live in upstate NY and am trying to buy a P500 from a dealer in PA. What do I need to do to make it registerable as an ATV in NY? The dealer (in PA) starts the registration paperwork? Do I need to point out to him that it's under 1000 dry weight? Any advice appreciated thanks.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey guys. I live in upstate NY and am trying to buy a P500 from a dealer in PA. What do I need to do to make it registerable as an ATV in NY? The dealer (in PA) starts the registration paperwork? Do I need to point out to him that it's under 1000 dry weight? Any advice appreciated thanks.
Not sure what the weight is on the P500 but in NYS you cannot register as an ATV over 1000 lbs. I’ve got a P700 that remains unregistered due to this fact. I carry a copy of the Certificate of Origin as proof of ownership and insurance card and I’m good to go. Certain municipalities(mostly rural) will allow UTV travel on the side of the road. You also need an orange triangle to do this.

Reactions: kensmithjr
advertisement
K

kensmithjr

Sep 16, 2019
Prattsburgh, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I just called the dealer in PA and he says that they will provide a MSO (Manufacture Statement of Origin) from Honda that says the weight of the P500 is 992 lbs. That's the dry weight of the vehicle and under the 1000 lbs limit. So I take that to the NY DMV and I should get an ATV license! Woot woot.

Reactions: Ollie and Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just called the dealer in PA and he says that they will provide a MSO (Manufacture Statement of Origin) from Honda that says the weight of the P500 is 992 lbs. That's the dry weight of the vehicle and under the 1000 lbs limit. So I take that to the NY DMV and I should get an ATV license! Woot woot.
Excellent. ;)

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
But yeah, NY needs to update their registration rules so everyone else can get a license too. That's stupid.
No, no. Let’s not bark up that tree. I’m fine not paying anything a year and having a way to identify me with a license plate. :D As long as you have proof of ownership and insurance you are good to go. ;)

K

kensmithjr

Sep 16, 2019
Prattsburgh, NY
Ownership

1. 500
No, no. Let’s not bark up that tree. I’m fine not paying anything a year and having a way to identify me with a license plate. :D As long as you have proof of ownership and insurance you are good to go. ;)

But you're not really "good to go" because it's technically illegal.

Reactions: Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
But you're not really "good to go" because it's technically illegal.
It’s not illegal because there’s no law on it. When you carry proof of ownership and insurance and have a Slow Moving Vehicle Orange Triangle on the back you fall under the SMV’s in your municipality. So I’m good to go. ;) But it doesn’t matter because you’re in a P5 and sounds like you’re going to register as an ATV. Pay the man. :cool:

K

kensmithjr

Sep 16, 2019
Prattsburgh, NY
Ownership

1. 500
It’s not illegal because there’s no law on it. When you carry proof of ownership and insurance and have a Slow Moving Vehicle Orange Triangle on the back you fall under the SMV’s in your municipality. So I’m good to go. ;) But it doesn’t matter because you’re in a P5 and sounds like you’re going to register as an ATV. Pay the man. :cool:

I hope it works out for you! I want to be legal on public trails for ATVs.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!