P500 P500 changes over the years

S

SloRide

Aug 27, 2022
NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,
Recently found this site while getting familiar with the Pioneer 500/520. First pick was a 520 but current stock is limited at best. Anyway what I was wondering is what changes have been made over the model years for the P500? For instance when did the MT/AT feature become available? Any other changes or model year to stay away from etc. Looks like a used P500 is how I'll get into the sxs world.

Thanks in Advance!
SloRide

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
The 16 was manual only transmission. As far as other changes and when they occurred, there is plenty of info in here. I don't think there is really any year to avoid.
Good luck on the search for a machine and welcome to the club from East Tennessee.

Ps. Red is the fastest and pictures or it never happened.

S

SloRide

Aug 27, 2022
NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The 16 was manual only transmission. As far as other changes and when they occurred, there is plenty of info in here. I don't think there is really any year to avoid.
Good luck on the search for a machine and welcome to the club from East Tennessee.

Ps. Red is the fastest and pictures or it never happened.
Thanks! So 2017 forward is MT/AT. Any particular thread that has other info? searched around with no luck. May go look at a 2015

Reactions: crewcabrob
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
You may have to do some reading through the posts to find out about the differences. I don't think there is one thread that discusses them all just different threads as they occurred. Yes 17+ are auto/ manual. I think that's the same year they reshaped the "hip bar" or whatever it's called and they changed the gear ratio some.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
'17 is when they went with the auto feature. They also raised the hip bars, lowered the suspension an inch and dropped the speed limiter to 39 mph. I believe they gave it adjustable front shocks that same year as well and did away with one of the rops support bars at the drivers side rear wheel well. 520 got the dump bed, different engine and gussets at the top of the rops.

Last edited:
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve driven several different year models of p500 and there no noticeable difference besides the auto/manual feature. I have a 2020 and always run it in manual. If a used buggy has been taken care of I wouldn’t let the year model sway your choice.

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
For what it's worth, my friend bought a 2015 500 when it first came out. And it has performed flawlessly.
Aside from the needlessly high shift points it performs great.

I have a 2021 520, and I prefer the manual mode almost exclusively. But the 520 can be shifted much lower in there rpm scale

S

SloRide

Aug 27, 2022
NY
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well I test drove a new P520 and looked at a couple used P500's in the area. I couldn't tell the difference between the years. They all drove sound and shifted very similarly. The P520 seemed a bit quieter but it was new and bare bones so no roof, windshield or back window to hold in the noise.

Came across a 2015 with ~700 miles on it with back window, roof, hardcoat tip out windshield and a Warn 3500 winch and a toolbox on the rack for just under $7K. Overpriced but that's the market right now. Bought by a senior citizen who had it for 6 years then sold to his 72 y.o friend who had it a year. It's in the garage now. I know, no pictures it didn't happen. LOL

Thanks for all your replies!

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome from central upstate N.Y
RED was the1st color all other colors followed Honda hope's they sell .
Many good people on the Honda forum AND they LIKE PICTURES.

2015 P500 --700 miles just broken in <> with over $1500.00 worth of Acc: <> under $7K is a decent price in this area.

ENJOY the TOY

Net Worth is about to DIP ( with ALL things you think you Need & Want )

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I drove a 520 for the first time a few weeks ago, it was only a few days old. It definitely shifted smoother and quieter than any 500 I’ve driven!

Reactions: futzin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!