Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I ended up with a leak from the front output shaft seal after doing my "re-gear" mod, the final shaft that runs through the engine moved back and rolled/damaged the seal. Turns out it's pretty easy to change.

Start by pulling seat & covers like you would for an oil change, you have to drain the oil anyway. See Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide for pulling covers, draining oil, etc. I'll pick up from there......

I pulled the center skid plate but in hindsight it wasn't necessary other than to clean it.

Replacement part#
  • Honda oil seal, 91202-HR0-F01

OK, gather up some tools, you'll need a
  • 17mm combination wrench
  • 17mm 3/8" drive socket
  • 14mm 3/8" drive socket
  • 3/8" 6" extension
  • 3/8" ratchet
  • Long skinny screw driver
  • 6" 1/4" extension
  • Small hammer (I used a small piece of brass)
  • Several Miller Lites (Optional)
Tools

You'll need to pull the front diff forward to remove the propeller shaft, this can be accomplished by pulling the top diff bolt/nut. Use 17mm wrench & 17mm socket/ratchet, no extension needed here.

Step 1

Now pull the 2 bolts on the bracket holding the diff to the frame at the front, 14mm socket, 6" extension & ratchet. You can reach these without pulling the front bumper.

Step 2

Now the diff can be pulled forward until the driveshaft is off the mainshaft. Note, I did not need to disconnect the 4WD cable or indicator switch wire. There is enough slack.

Shaft off

Now is a good time to clean up the area with some rags/brake clean. If you look close you can see that the O-ring for the front driveshaft is missing. When the shaft moved back during the gear mod it rolled inside of the seal and damaged the seal in the process. You'll want to take it off before pulling the seal.

Time to remove the seal, take the long skinny screw driver, stick it between the seal & shaft and pop it out.

Remove seal

Clean the shaft & seal "pocket", apply some grease to the shaft and GENTLY slide the new seal on the shaft past the splines & O-ring groove, I find that rotating the seal back & forth minimizes the chance you'll damage the new seal. Once it's in the pocket you can push it in with your fingers, a 1/4" extension is just the right size to fit in between the shaft & case plus it has nice rounded edges so you won't damage the seal. Working your way around the shaft use a small hammer (or brass) and lightly tap the seal until it's seated.

Install seal

Re-install your drive shaft O-ring

O ring

Now you can reverse procedure, get the drive shaft started on the output shaft, at this point it helps to have a friend but it can be done by yourself.

Line up shaft

Go back to the front and push the diff back in place. Start the 2 14mm bolts in the front then lift the back to line up the top bolt. Tighten everything up and your done, have a beer & celebrate.....just don't forget to finish your oil change. o_O

B

Bionicknee

Sep 12, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I ended up with a leak from the front output shaft seal after doing my "re-gear" mod, the final shaft that runs through the engine moved back and rolled/damaged the seal. Turns out it's pretty easy to change.

Start by pulling seat & covers like you would for an oil change, you have to drain the oil anyway. See Honda Pioneer 500 Oil Change Guide for pulling covers, draining oil, etc. I'll pick up from there......

I pulled the center skid plate but in hindsight it wasn't necessary other than to clean it.

Replacement part#
  • Honda oil seal, 91202-HR0-F01

OK, gather up some tools, you'll need a
  • 17mm combination wrench
  • 17mm 3/8" drive socket
  • 14mm 3/8" drive socket
  • 3/8" 6" extension
  • 3/8" ratchet
  • Long skinny screw driver
  • 6" 1/4" extension
  • Small hammer (I used a small piece of brass)
  • Several Miller Lites (Optional)
View attachment 82126

You'll need to pull the front diff forward to remove the propeller shaft, this can be accomplished by pulling the top diff bolt/nut. Use 17mm wrench & 17mm socket/ratchet, no extension needed here.

View attachment 82125

Now pull the 2 bolts on the bracket holding the diff to the frame at the front, 14mm socket, 6" extension & ratchet. You can reach these without pulling the front bumper.

View attachment 82127

Now the diff can be pulled forward until the driveshaft is off the mainshaft. Note, I did not need to disconnect the 4WD cable or indicator switch wire. There is enough slack.

View attachment 82128

Now is a good time to clean up the area with some rags/brake clean. If you look close you can see that the O-ring for the front driveshaft is missing. When the shaft moved back during the gear mod it rolled inside of the seal and damaged the seal in the process. You'll want to take it off before pulling the seal.

Time to remove the seal, take the long skinny screw driver, stick it between the seal & shaft and pop it out.

View attachment 82129

Clean the shaft & seal "pocket", apply some grease to the shaft and GENTLY slide the new seal on the shaft past the splines & O-ring groove, I find that rotating the seal back & forth minimizes the chance you'll damage the new seal. Once it's in the pocket you can push it in with your fingers, a 1/4" extension is just the right size to fit in between the shaft & case plus it has nice rounded edges so you won't damage the seal. Working your way around the shaft use a small hammer (or brass) and lightly tap the seal until it's seated.

View attachment 82130

Re-install your drive shaft O-ring

View attachment 82131

Now you can reverse procedure, get the drive shaft started on the output shaft, at this point it helps to have a friend but it can be done by yourself.

View attachment 82132

Go back to the front and push the diff back in place. Start the 2 14mm bolts in the front then lift the back to line up the top bolt. Tighten everything up and your done, have a beer & celebrate.....just don't forget to finish your oil change. o_O

I have this same problem on a 2015 P700. Are the drivelines in any way simalar? Will this method work on my 700?

Thanks in advance
Bionicknee

Reactions: DG Rider
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have this same problem on a 2015 P700. Are the drivelines in any way simalar? Will this method work on my 700?

Thanks in advance
Bionicknee
I don't have any experience with the P7 but I would imagine its very similar, most likely the same seal. If there isn't a slip joint on the front driveshaft then you will need to move the diff forward to get the shaft off.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Great job thanks for the info man....
Wonder if it the same procedure for the rear,my rear might have to be done.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Thanks in advance
Bionicknee
It is somewhat similar, but you will still have to move the diff forward to get the front shaft out.

S

snookpro

Dec 24, 2014
I don't have any experience with the P7 but I would imagine its very similar, most likely the same seal. If there isn't a slip joint on the front driveshaft then you will need to move the diff forward to get the shaft off.
What seal part # did you use

Thanks

Snookpro

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
What seal part # did you use

Thanks

Snookpro
There's a picture of it with the part # in the first post, the part # is also listed there.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!