P500 P500 Inferno heater instal- lessons learned?

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
No part number, I went to NAPA and we took a look at what radiator hised they happened to have with a 90 degree angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandofCheese

LandofCheese

Apr 11, 2022
Wisconsin
The sxs is 2 hours away and the nearest auto parts from there is an hour so i'm trying to bring what i need up with me. does an I/D of 5/8ths sound right?

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I think so., 5/8” is a standard radiator hose size. Check the size of the hose that came with it.

Here’s one on amazon.

Dayco 80402 90-Degree 5/8” Diameter Molded Coolant/Heater Hose with 18” Total Length

The other thing I did was to seal up the air tubing on both ends where it meets the ducts in the dash and on the heater itself. I used the aluminum high temp foul for chimneys because I had a big roll left over, and the stuff sticks great. Duct tape would also work.

Reactions: Buckaroo41
Buckaroo41

Buckaroo41

Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2022
South of Heaven West of Hell
Ownership

1. 520
I think so., 5/8” is a standard radiator hose size. Check the size of the hose that came with it.

Here’s one on amazon.

Dayco 80402 90-Degree 5/8” Diameter Molded Coolant/Heater Hose with 18” Total Length

The other thing I did was to seal up the air tubing on both ends where it meets the ducts in the dash and on the heater itself. I used the aluminum high temp foul for chimneys because I had a big roll left over, and the stuff sticks great. Duct tape would also work.

How has the heater been working so far? Worth the time and money invested?

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Andolutely. Together with finding and blocking as many cold air infiltration points, it takes about 10 minutes for the P5’s engine to get warm enough for the engine thermostat to open and get heat coming out.

I still wear winter clothes but find I take off my cap and gloves and unzip my jacket. I’m comfortable riding. I’ve not tried unplugging the fan or blocking the radiator with cardboard- I’m not looking to ride at sub freezing temps with a T shirt.

I adjusted the reverse lockout cable from the under dash pull down years ago. That area was a major source of cold air entering the cab. I just covered it with black Gorilla duct tape. No points for pretty when you’re cold!

I have to think about how I could use cab air as the heater input instead of continually sucking in outside cold air.

Reactions: Buckaroo41

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!