BOX1

P500 P500 on Tracks in Snow

IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
The other day I posted a picture of my P500 on tracks in the Builds forum. Several guys asked me to post video of it running in snow. I wasn't sure how I was going to do that as I usually hunt alone but then I thought of the drone my wife gave me for Christmas. It has a tracking mode so would theoretically be able to film while I drove the P500.

Results were mixed...I did get some video but I also crashed the drone into trees twice, haha! I used the video editor that came with the drone to splice several videos and to cut some footage (like the crash scenes!). The editor automatically added music that I couldn't figure out how to remove so sorry my little P500 video sounds much more epic than it is!

Here's a link to the extremely amateur YouTube video:

Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
IdBuckshot, you did great on your video. So a couple of questions, It looks as though you are running in semi packed snow there on that logging road. How does it do in deeper unpacked snow. Also what gear were you pulling in the video? I am contemplating pulling the trigger to run cats here in southern idaho.

IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
IdBuckshot, you did great on your video. So a couple of questions, It looks as though you are running in semi packed snow there on that logging road. How does it do in deeper unpacked snow. Also what gear were you pulling in the video? I am contemplating pulling the trigger to run cats here in southern idaho.
Hey Stacy,

The snow there really wasn't quite as packed as it appears on the video. It was probably about 3' deep and I would sink to over my knees when I stepped out of the machine. There was a very old groove visible from the last time a truck punched in there a month or so ago.

I don't have a lot of experience in it yet and haven't been in deep powder but I'm pretty confident it would go up any road a person is likely to be cat hunting (just not quickly!).

I was starting in 2nd and shifting to 3rd in those videos. The shifting under load can be pretty clunky because there's so much rolling resistance to the tracks. You can see the machine slow almost to a stop when I make the shift. Heavy snow/uphill causes me to have to downshift. I sometimes end up going really slow but haven't come close to running out of torque or traction yet.

Hope that helps, be glad to answer any other questions.

Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Stacy,

The snow there really wasn't quite as packed as it appears on the video. It was probably about 3' deep and I would sink to over my knees when I stepped out of the machine. There was a very old groove visible from the last time a truck punched in there a month or so ago.

I don't have a lot of experience in it yet and haven't been in deep powder but I'm pretty confident it would go up any road a person is likely to be cat hunting (just not quickly!).

I was starting in 2nd and shifting to 3rd in those videos. The shifting under load can be pretty clunky because there's so much rolling resistance to the tracks. You can see the machine slow almost to a stop when I make the shift. Heavy snow/uphill causes me to have to downshift. I sometimes end up going really slow but haven't come close to running out of torque or traction yet.

Perfect
Hey Stacy,

Yes that helps a ton. I knew she would pull slow with are gearing. And shifts would be less than graceful. Sounds pretty sure footed. If you don’t mind parting with what track you purchased and from what supplier?

Reactions: Eltobgi and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
The other day I posted a picture of my P500 on tracks in the Builds forum. Several guys asked me to post video of it running in snow. I wasn't sure how I was going to do that as I usually hunt alone but then I thought of the drone my wife gave me for Christmas. It has a tracking mode so would theoretically be able to film while I drove the P500.

Results were mixed...I did get some video but I also crashed the drone into trees twice, haha! I used the video editor that came with the drone to splice several videos and to cut some footage (like the crash scenes!). The editor automatically added music that I couldn't figure out how to remove so sorry my little P500 video sounds much more epic than it is!

Very cool. Gotta get me some. They would be great in Cape Breton this time of year. Awesome footage.
Caper

Reactions: IdBuckshot
IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Perfect

Yes that helps a ton. I knew she would pull slow with are gearing. And shifts would be less than graceful. Sounds pretty sure footed. If you don’t mind parting with what track you purchased and from what supplier?
I got the Camso UTV 4S1 tracks. I planned to buy them from ATVTracks.net out of Spokane as they gave me the best price and as far as I know are by far the most knowledgeable but just before doing that a barely used set came up on Craigslist and saved me about $1K.

Reactions: 100Acre and Caper
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I got the Camso UTV 4S1 tracks. I planned to buy them from ATVTracks.net out of Spokane as they gave me the best price and as far as I know are by far the most knowledgeable but just before doing that a barely used set came up on Craigslist and saved me about $1K.
Great timing and luck is everything. Went back and read your build. You have put a great looking machine together. All have to do a little more research on the tracks now that you posted that awesome video.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Great professional looking video. Companies spend $$$ making product commercials, sell it to them ..to buy more accessories. LOL. Perfect Avatar.

Last edited:
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe not quite the same but I run the Complast tracks on my Honda Foreman which I use while bow hunting in Idaho unit 55 in late November and early December. They work great in soft powder snow. Haven't run across a place I couldn't go yet while running on existing roadways. Have run in deep snow all the way from the City of Rocks to the roads end at Cache Peak. Going cross country in the sage brush might pose some issues. Whatever I can do to help lion hunters, I'm all about it.

Reactions: Huklebry and Caper
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe not quite the same but I run the Complast tracks on my Honda Foreman which I use while bow hunting in Idaho unit 55 in late November and early December. They work great in soft powder snow. Haven't run across a place I couldn't go yet while running on existing roadways. Have run in deep snow all the way from the City of Rocks to the roads end at Cache Peak. Going cross country in the sage brush might pose some issues. Whatever I can do to help lion hunters, I'm all about it.
We share a lot in common. I run 46,45,54,44,49.

Reactions: Huklebry and Caper
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

NICE video!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!