Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've had to rock mine back and forth about three times now to grab a gear. Seems to happen when I turn it off in gear. On a separate note, after plowing yesterday I was getting a strong smell of antifreeze. Popped the hood and everything looked fine, temp was fine as well...wth?

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I've had to rock mine back and forth about three times now to grab a gear. Seems to happen when I turn it off in gear. On a separate note, after plowing yesterday I was getting a strong smell of antifreeze. Popped the hood and everything looked fine, temp was fine as well...wth?
Antifreeze: did the radiator get covered with snow- might have been pushing more hot antifreeze into recovery bottle than usual- it's vented to atmosphere. The gear hanging-up thing: What oil are you running? I first have to say that I'm a pretty hard-core 'use what the manual says' guy, but I'll be damned if I can find anyone who stocks the Honda 10w-30 oil the manual recommends- not even the dealer. So I had been using Kawasaki's 10w40 oil, and then this last oil change I used 10w40 semi-synthetic motorcycle oil- can't remember brand- that specifically said 'specifically engineered for wet clutch transmissions'. It made an immediately noticeable improvement in shifts and clutch engagement. No where near the delays, and no more hang ups on cold days/cold starts. If I could find the recommended Honda 10W30, I would switch back to that just to compare.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Antifreeze: did the radiator get covered with snow- might have been pushing more hot antifreeze into recovery bottle than usual- it's vented to atmosphere. The gear hanging-up thing: What oil are you running? I first have to say that I'm a pretty hard-core 'use what the manual says' guy, but I'll be damned if I can find anyone who stocks the Honda 10w-30 oil the manual recommends- not even the dealer. So I had been using Kawasaki's 10w40 oil, and then this last oil change I used 10w40 semi-synthetic motorcycle oil- can't remember brand- that specifically said 'specifically engineered for wet clutch transmissions'. It made an immediately noticeable improvement in shifts and clutch engagement. No where near the delays, and no more hang ups on cold days/cold starts. If I could find the recommended Honda 10W30, I would switch back to that just to compare.

No, no snow up through the grille at all. Couldn't see a leak anywhere either and the temp gauge read good. Put my hand on cap and it wasn't that hot. Hell if I know.
As for oil, I'm running Honda 10w40. Did it the middle of summer too so it's not like it was super thick and cold or anything. I'll be going to Royal Purple Max Cycle in the Spring. Once again, hell if I know.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
No, no snow up through the grille at all. Couldn't see a leak anywhere either and the temp gauge read good. Put my hand on cap and it wasn't that hot. Hell if I know.
As for oil, I'm running Honda 10w40. Did it the middle of summer too so it's not like it was super thick and cold or anything. I'll be going to Royal Purple Max Cycle in the Spring. Once again, hell if I know.
I'm running the Purple stuff...as well.
way smoother. .keep an eye on your
antifreeze level...

Reactions: trigger and JWB
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Did ya get a few more....mph on the p5
...with a little Kawie juice in it..
....lol

Reactions: JWB and Mudwing
D

Deleted member 3748

I'v never had to rock mine to get it to start and I turn it off in gear every time. I don't want someone to be able to push it into the back of a truck. If they want to steal it, they're gonna have to work for it!

Reactions: rocmar and JWB
D

Deleted member 3748

Did you extend your vent lines? If yes, where did you extend the water pump vent? I wouldn't worry about it until the level starts going down, like @rocmar mentioned.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Did ya get a few more....mph on the p5
...with a little Kawie juice in it..
....lol
Nooo:oops: That's what the DEALER sold me! They don't even stock the Honda oils.....I haven't been back there since my first oil change.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Did you extend your vent lines? If yes, where did you extend the water pump vent? I wouldn't worry about it until the level starts going down, like @rocmar mentioned.

I haven't extended mine yet, was going to do it last weekend but didn't get to it. I plan to run them all up the rops to under side of roof. Don't plan on drilling them in either. Did you do yours already?

D

Deleted member 3748

I have an alarm on mine. :D
Genius!

I haven't extended mine yet, was going to do it last weekend but didn't get to it. I plan to run them all up the rops to under side of roof. Don't plan on drilling them in either. Did you do yours already?
I'll do mine when it's warmer outside. I only snorkeled it to keep the airbox clean. I'm not drilling into the ROPS for the vents either. I'll make some kind of fancy box on the ROPS or something.

I was wondering if the vent was giving you the coolant smell.

Reactions: lee and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Genius!

I'll do mine when it's warmer outside. I only snorkeled it to keep the airbox clean. I'm not drilling into the ROPS for the vents either. I'll make some kind of fancy box on the ROPS or something.

I was wondering if the vent was giving you the coolant smell.

Maybe, why would it be burping though? It wasn't even hot.
I want to run black rubber hose for all of them and just zip tie them up the rops, all to the back preferably.

D

Deleted member 3748

I want to run black rubber hose for all of them and just zip tie them up the rops, all to the back preferably.
Who knows? Coolant is under a lot of pressure.

Watch where you run the water pump vent. You don't want hot coolant spraying all over you if it overeats. :eek:

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Yep....mines to top of & behind seat...hide..
Zippy...tie...

Reactions: trigger
D

dannylj

Aug 12, 2014
Just an update. It was dead again when I went to unload it from my trailer today. I turn the key on so I could see if the display came on and removed the battery box cover. I pulled the 15 amp ign. fuse and plugged it back in. Everything came to life. I guess it was some corrosion in the fuse box. Cleaned everything up and put some dielectric greas in and all is working. I appreciate all of the responses. Maybe that will fix it. At least I know where the problem is.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!