P500 P500 Starting Issue

I

Infidel1911

Oct 14, 2019
New Jersey
Ownership

1. 500
Good morning,

I just bought a used 2017 P500 from a friend. Had 517 miles on it. Came with a Wurn hitch and plow. Started Saturday just fine, moved it from driveway to garage. Yesterday, when I went to start, it won’t crank. I hear a mechanical noise when I go to position 1, and then no crank on position 2. When I remove key, dash stays lit up. In neutral, parking brake on and foot on brake. I disconnected battery and dash went dark. Reconnected battery and same thing happens - no crank on position 2, except it now turns off completely. When I try it 3 times, I get the same issue - dash stays on with key removed issue. I connected Battery to charger overnight and shows fully charged.

Thoughts on what else I can try? Thanks

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you inspected the wiring harness that is visible? It sounds like something is shorting out, if he stored it for long periods rodents love to chew on the wiring.

happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Good morning,

I just bought a used 2017 P500 from a friend. Had 517 miles on it. Came with a Wurn hitch and plow. Started Saturday just fine, moved it from driveway to garage. Yesterday, when I went to start, it won’t crank. I hear a mechanical noise when I go to position 1, and then no crank on position 2. When I remove key, dash stays lit up. In neutral, parking brake on and foot on brake. I disconnected battery and dash went dark. Reconnected battery and same thing happens - no crank on position 2, except it now turns off completely. When I try it 3 times, I get the same issue - dash stays on with key removed issue. I connected Battery to charger overnight and shows fully charged.

Is it in gear and did you put your foot on the brake?

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Check to see what voltage you are getting, it may not be enough to turn it over but still show light on dash even if it shows a full charge.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
when the starter failed in my 500 that's what it did. just nothing.

get another vehicle and pull start. Put the 500 in 2nd gear, key on, pull slow and then slightly push the brake. should fire up as soon as you hit the brake.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Ask friend for refund

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't know what causes it, but the dash lights staying on seems like a common thing with the 500, so one of my 500 brothers will answer this soon. Be patient.

Wild ass guess: the ignition switch?

Richd

Richd

Jul 15, 2017
Vallejo,CA
Ownership

1. 500
Look at how the winch and any other add on's were connected...I'd look there first since they are not stock items. Did the friend add a second battery?

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Good morning,

you know that it won't start unless it's in neutral...I'm with DG might be ignition switch or sheaf wire....check behind the key switch ..

I

Infidel1911

Oct 14, 2019
New Jersey
Ownership

1. 500
ended up being the starter. Bought an OEM off Amazon for $210. Took all of 10 min to swap out. You can do it without any panel or rear rack removal. I thought it was going to be b**** but it slipped right out and new one just slid into place. 3 bolts and you're done.

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
ended up being the starter. Bought an OEM off Amazon for $210. Took all of 10 min to swap out. You can do it without any panel or rear rack removal. I thought it was going to be b**** but it slipped right out and new one just slid into place. 3 bolts and you're done.

I have a 2017 that I bought used and the starter went out not long after bringing it home. Mine didn't outright die like yours did, it was making a strange whining noise. One of the magnets had come loose, research showed that as a common issue with these starters. I got one from Amazon, but I went with an aftermarket one for $46.00.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!