P500 P500 - The ultimate rear box

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

I think I have found my final solution for the P500 rear box. I've been through several that were too big, too small, too weak, etc. I decided on two coolers bolted to the rack. One to be used as a cooler and one to be used as a box. The hard part was deciding which coolers to use. Since I have the Boss Audio ATV25B sound tube mounted back there I was limited on depth. I went the super cheap route and got the 48 qt. Igloo coolers from Walmart for $15.88 each because I only need to keep things cold for 8 hours or so. My rear rack is larger than stock because the I bolted the roof rack from my old Ford Escape to it but if you don't have the ATV25B back there this will still work. I have everything drilled and bolted and ready for silicone sealant on the cooler bolts then paint. I can't paint it until I get a warm space. Before the final tightening and paint, if you guys have any additional ideas, I'd love to hear them.

IMAG00452 IMAG01116 IMAG01117 IMAG01118IMAG01115

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I see its purpose. Get those stickers off and paint them black. Maybe trim the rods.
Maybe a eye bolt on the outsides at the hinge so you can run a strap or bungee across them both to keep them shut.
But, they will probably stay shut for the most cases.

D

Deleted member 3748

I see its purpose. Get those stickers off and paint them black. Maybe trim the rods.
Maybe a eye bolt on the outsides at the hinge so you can run a strap or bungee across them both to keep them shut.
But, they will probably stay shut for the most cases.
Thanks for the ideas! The strap will be a necessity! Eye bolts in the board is a great idea. I'll be painting them in camo olive with stenciled lettering to make it look authentic military.

D

Deleted member 3748

Not easily removable. There are 4 u-bolts at the edges of the plywood that hold it to the rack. How to drain the cooler is an excellent question... It cost twice as much to get a cooler with a drain so I decided I could put in a drain myself using an outdoor faucet.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Not easily removable. There are 4 u-bolts at the edges of the plywood that hold it to the rack. How to drain the cooler is an excellent question... It cost twice as much to get a cooler with a drain so I decided I could put in a drain myself using an outdoor faucet.

Or just drill a hole and use a rubber plug.

D

Deleted member 3748

Coolers are painted and done. Helmets and stuff fit in one cooler with room to spare and the other one is leftover for cooling.

I am going to have to repaint them in the Spring. The plastic paint isn't very durable and I'm going to re-do it with Plasti-dip.

IMAG01179 IMAG01181 IMAG01180

bigbore

bigbore

Jan 5, 2016
Coolers are painted and done. Helmets and stuff fit in one cooler with room to spare and the other one is leftover for cooling.

I am going to have to repaint them in the Spring. The plastic paint isn't very durable and I'm going to re-do it with Plasti-dip.

View attachment 31426 View attachment 31428 View attachment 31427

I would have mounted them so that the hinges were in the center so they could be accessed from the side of the atv like truck tool boxes. Do you carry a spare?

D

Deleted member 3748

I would have mounted them so that the hinges were in the center so they could be accessed from the side of the atv like truck tool boxes. Do you carry a spare?
I considered that, then went the other way. It was a 51% to 49% decision. I don't carry a spare. I carry a tire repair kit, a compressor and a bottle of slime.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

I've messed with Plasti-dip a little bit, seems to peel off too easy?

That's kind of the idea. If you put on 5 or 6 coats it's pretty durable but you can peel it off if you want it gone. I saw a guy paint his whole truck with it... lol. That was probably more expensive than a professional paint job.

Plasti-dip didn't hold up well on my truck step bars though. Do you think bed liner would stick to the plastic?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
That's kind of the idea. If you put on 5 or 6 coats it's pretty durable but you can peel it off if you want it gone. I saw a guy paint his whole truck with it... lol. That was probably more expensive than a professional paint job.

Plasti-dip didn't hold up well on my truck step bars though. Do you think bed liner would stick to the plastic?

Plastic is just plain hard to get anything to stick to. That trailer I have has a plastic car top carrier mounted on it, was painted when I got it. I've put a couple of coats on it and it'll still chip if you look at wrong.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!