P500 Trailer Length

M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All, new member, and looking to purchase a 2018 P500 this week. It is two hours away so just want to make sure I can get it home! Currently have a Foreman, but need more space to bring my kids along when doing work out at our hunting land.

I have a Triton trailer AUT864 that has a 8 foot bed and a trifold gate. The gate angels back a bit (AUT864 - Triton Trailers). I understand the total length is 102 inches, but wonder what the length from the front bumper to the back end of the rear tire? Just curious if I'll be able to make this trailer work for the time being understanding it will be tight (need to convince my wife of one new toy at a time:)) Figured I'd bring some weight to put in the front of the trailer if needed to balance it. Also figured I might have to use ratchet straps on the gate vs the included hardware to get it closed. If anyone could share that length or experience with a similar trailer would be much appreciated!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi All, new member, and looking to purchase a 2018 P500 this week. It is two hours away so just want to make sure I can get it home! Currently have a Foreman, but need more space to bring my kids along when doing work out at our hunting land.

I have a Triton trailer AUT864 that has a 8 foot bed and a trifold gate. The gate angels back a bit (AUT864 - Triton Trailers). I understand the total length is 102 inches, but wonder what the length from the front bumper to the back end of the rear tire? Just curious if I'll be able to make this trailer work for the time being understanding it will be tight (need to convince my wife of one new toy at a time:)) Figured I'd bring some weight to put in the front of the trailer if needed to balance it. Also figured I might have to use ratchet straps on the gate vs the included hardware to get it closed. If anyone could share that length or experience with a similar trailer would be much appreciated!
I haul mine on a 5'x8' trailer. It fills it up for sure, but it fits. I don't have a rear tailgate on mine. A couple of lengths of chain and a few bolts should make sure you don't have any issues if you need to let the gate lean back some. Take a couple of pieces of flat bar and a cordless drill with your bolts would be even better. Then your gate wouldn't move in either direction if you needed to quickly fab up braces to hold it for the trip home. If you are just going to strap it shut though I'd grab a piece of pipe insulation or a pool noodle so the straps don't get cut by the edges of your gate.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can get a decent idea how tight it is on my trailer in this picture.
full

M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks all, just purchased mine (2018 P500, Green) and will pickup this weekend!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all, just purchased mine (2018 P500, Green) and will pickup this weekend!
You're welcome and Congrats! Post up the pictures when you pick it up. It will never be that clean again. lol

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
It will be tight for sure. If the rear gate wont close then back the P5 into the trailer and take the front bumper off (it is only 4 bolts). The gate will close after that. I had to do that with my 8 foot trailer when I picked mine up (my gate closes straight up and down though). Either way you will get her home.

And remember...pics or it didn't happen :D

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
With an 8' trailer you need to be careful how you load the extra stuff. Rule of thumb is the tongue weight should be at about 10% of the total weight.

M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Pics as requested:) I had to make a few modifications, but I was able to make it work! I removed the front panel from my trailer. I needed to allow the bumper to overhand a bit and wanted to get more weight forward. I added a board across the gap instead as a tire stop. I had to move my tie down points to right under the tires on the inside. I'd like wider anchor points, but there isn't room. I have a couple inches of clearance between the exhaust and the gate since it angles to the back. I added a 80 pound bag of cement to the front of the trailer to give it a bit more weight. Took it 60 miles with no problem on the highway.

T2 T1

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pics as requested:) I had to make a few modifications, but I was able to make it work! I removed the front panel from my trailer. I needed to allow the bumper to overhand a bit and wanted to get more weight forward. I added a board across the gap instead as a tire stop. I had to move my tie down points to right under the tires on the inside. I'd like wider anchor points, but there isn't room. I have a couple inches of clearance between the exhaust and the gate since it angles to the back. I added a 80 pound bag of cement to the front of the trailer to give it a bit more weight. Took it 60 miles with no problem on the highway.

View attachment 125883 View attachment 125884
Congrats on the purchase. I'm glad you were able to get it home safely and make things work at least for the short term.

M

Mtholton

Apr 20, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks, first day out with it at my property went great, got trees planted, chores done, and a little joy riding.

I only tried it out tailoring it on a 60 mile trip and it seemed fine. Assuming I get it loaded with the correct tongue weight (roughly 1500 total trailer weight plus Pioneer), is there any concern that there isn't extra wheelbase room in either width or length in terms of stability at high speeds? The setup just seems a bit short and tall (not unlike the Pioneer in fact). I didn't see any swaying on the highway. If a trailer starts swaying does it gradually build up, or would it come out of nowhere? I don't think I went above 65 to keep it safe (was just having visions of my new ride in the ditch on its maiden tow:) ). Our cabin is 250 miles away and I'd be loaded up with the family and before I make that trip, just trying to make sure I'm not missing something in terms of trailer safety (maybe I'm just being paranoid)...

Trailer

advertisement
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, first day out with it at my property went great, got trees planted, chores done, and a little joy riding.

I only tried it out tailoring it on a 60 mile trip and it seemed fine. Assuming I get it loaded with the correct tongue weight (roughly 1500 total trailer weight plus Pioneer), is there any concern that there isn't extra wheelbase room in either width or length in terms of stability at high speeds? The setup just seems a bit short and tall (not unlike the Pioneer in fact). I didn't see any swaying on the highway. If a trailer starts swaying does it gradually build up, or would it come out of nowhere? I don't think I went above 65 to keep it safe (was just having visions of my new ride in the ditch on its maiden tow:) ). Our cabin is 250 miles away and I'd be loaded up with the family and before I make that trip, just trying to make sure I'm not missing something in terms of trailer safety (maybe I'm just being paranoid)...

View attachment 126010
I've taken mine a good ways from home (3-4 hours one way) on my little trailer behind our Toyota Sienna and not had an issue. I even had a CRF110F mounted up on the tongue of the trailer as you can see in the photo I posted earlier. Not saying I'd try to hang an off ramp at 80 or anything, but I think if you drive reasonable you will be fine.

Reactions: Mtholton

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!