jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So with the turbo install on Mighty Mouse right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to see what your thoughts, hopes, and expectations for it are. Personally, I'm not expecting huge performance gains in the area of top end speed. What I am hoping to see is a good boost (pun intended) in the quickness of the P5. I think the turbo will really help wake up the mid range so when you're cruising and mash the peddle it will take off like never before. Especially with the big old 32's!

So let me know what you hope to see with the Turbo!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So with the turbo install on Mighty Mouse right around the corner, I thought it would be fun to see what your thoughts, hopes, and expectations for it are. Personally, I'm not expecting huge performance gains in the area of top end speed. What I am hoping to see is a good boost (pun intended) in the quickness of the P5. I think the turbo will really help wake up the mid range so when you're cruising and mash the peddle it will take off like never before. Especially with the big old 32's!

So let me know what you hope to see with the Turbo!
The P5 is a great machine, I can’t wait to see what it does for Mighty Mouse. I think it might help your lower range a bit but I agree that most gains will be seen in the mid range. I might have to buy another P5 again one of these days.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Mid range power for sure. Can't increase speed unless you increase the engine red line, and doing that might drastically reduce engine life...
Check that, you can increase speed with a gearing change.... See below.... but it lacks power when running larger tires. Mine will run 50mph on GPS with 24" tires.

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
For what it's worth you may want to check out this article, maybe you already have this info.
Method for Turbocharging Single Cylinder Four Stroke Engines
I've read that article a while back which caused me to go to into research mode to see if I should even mess with turbocharging. Here is what I found and what the article doesn't tell you is that what it says is true and makes sense...for a carbureted single cylinder engine. That is what all the research that when into the design of the air capacitor dealt with. Single cylinder, carbureted engines where the carburetor causes complication with air fuel mix irregularities that will happen when trying to force air from a turbo through the carb.

In fact, every bit of info I found dealing with problems faced with a turbo on a single cylinder engine was with carbureted engines like you would have with go carts and the like. With the P5 being fuel injected and being able to adjust the air/fuel mixed based on real time figures from the machines sensors with a programer like the DynoJet Powercommander v with auto tune, which is what I'll be running, those problems don't apply.

Case in Point, you can buy a bolt on turbo kit for both the Yamaha Rhino 660 and 700 that is basically an identical system. The 660 being carbureted, see's very little gain from the turbo while the 700, which is fuel inject, see's a good bump in performance. This has me hopeful that the P5 will do well with a turbo but this is unexplored territory for the little guy so we'll just have to wait and see what I can do. I am by no means an expert on turbo's though so it will be a learning experience to say the least...lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!