P500 P500 WINCH

Garlicfarmer

Garlicfarmer

Jan 27, 2023
Oregon
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Still waiting for my 2022 P500 to get here at the dealers in Oregon.
Wondering about installing a winch. I plan on riding in Arizona in the winter.
When installing a winch in front of the radiator does it affect the cooling. It seems most of the winch blocks the radiator.
Should I buy a mount that goes down below. I don't ride in water or mud.
Thanks for any advise.
Ken in Oregon.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
When installing a winch in front of the radiator does it affect the cooling. It seems most of the winch blocks the radiator.
Thanks for any advise.
Ken in Oregon.
First off, Id call around and be willing to travel. You can prob have a P520 this week if U look. A dealer is just waiting for one to show up to them they will call u on there long list of people and hope someone backed out. With any deposit down just makes them know your prob not gonna they and call around. Its documented well on here.

As for your winch, when I had a P5 mine was mounted high in front of the radiator and did not cause any overheating and I had it dust, muck/swamp and snow. Mounted up high in front of the radiator is easier to use it as well.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

I don't think you are going to have any issues based on my experience. There is plenty of air that can circulate around the winch and get to the radiator. My fan barely runs on my p520 unless I'm doing a lot of slow riding in the summer. The fan will only run for short periods of time and not continuously.

Rob

Garlicfarmer

Garlicfarmer

Jan 27, 2023
Oregon
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
First off, Id call around and be willing to travel. You can prob have a P520 this week if U look. A dealer is just waiting for one to show up to them they will call u on there long list of people and hope someone backed out. With any deposit down just makes them know your prob not gonna they and call around. Its documented well on here.

As for your winch, when I had a P5 mine was mounted high in front of the radiator and did not cause any overheating and I had it dust, muck/swamp and snow. Mounted up high in front of the radiator is easier to use it as well.
Thanks for the advise. I. Waiting on a P500. Not 520. None of the dealers here in Oregon have one and in stock. I want the olive green one. Thanks for advise on winch also. I do have a large deposit down on the 500 at the dealers And it's only been about 2 weeks. So....

Garlicfarmer

Garlicfarmer

Jan 27, 2023
Oregon
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hi,

I don't think you are going to have any issues based on my experience. There is plenty of air that can circulate around the winch and get to the radiator. My fan barely runs on my p520 unless I'm doing a lot of slow riding in the summer. The fan will only run for short periods of time and not continuously.

Rob
Hi Rob. Thanks for the advise on the winch. Can't hardly wait to get my P500

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for any advise.
Ken in Oregon.
I never had my winch interfer with the cooling so you should be ok.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the advise. I. Waiting on a P500. Not 520. None of the dealers here in Oregon have one and in stock. I want the olive green one. Thanks for advise on winch also. I do have a large deposit down on the 500 at the dealers And it's only been about 2 weeks. So....
Well either one P5 or 520 🤣
they will have u strapped for months. Got to look out of state.
but Suit yourself, If have nothing but time…..just wait. Hopefully they dont play the game the rest do.
Id call them weekly if u decide to wait. Make them want to get u take care of u asap. Be a thorn in there side.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for any advise.
Ken in Oregon.
The only time I've seen a problem was with the Strong Made bumper and winch mounted on top. Wasn't anything to do with air flow, more of a got plugged with mud scenario. Mounting up high is the way to go IMO, keeps it out of that crap and easier to access. Also makes for better lifting angle for plowing. Brand of winch is like what's the best tire or oil but whatever you get I wouldn't go smaller than 3500lb.
Oh and you're holding out for the best color. 👍

Garlicfarmer

Garlicfarmer

Jan 27, 2023
Oregon
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
The only time I've seen a problem was with the Strong Made bumper and winch mounted on top. Wasn't anything to do with air flow, more of a got plugged with mud scenario. Mounting up high is the way to go IMO, keeps it out of that crap and easier to access. Also makes for better lifting angle for plowing. Brand of winch is like what's the best tire or oil but whatever you get I wouldn't go smaller than 3500lb.
Oh and you're holding out for the best color. 👍
Thanks
Ken in oregon

Garlicfarmer

Garlicfarmer

Jan 27, 2023
Oregon
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Well either one P5 or 520 🤣
they will have u strapped for months. Got to look out of state.
but Suit yourself, If have nothing but time…..just wait. Hopefully they dont play the game the rest do.
Id call them weekly if u decide to wait. Make them want to get u take care of u asap. Be a thorn in there side.
If I found one out of state but close by I might consider driving to get it but... I already gave a large deposit trying to encourage them. I really want the 500. I like the smaller engine. Burns less fuel. I am 72 this year. Just looking for a cruiser. Already had a Yamaha quad all set up. Just sold my Kawasaki Mule. Still have wifes ranger. Still have Honda Foretrax. I lived right next to the Oregon Coast sand dunes. Drove and played on them for years. Time to slow down and enjoy. Honda will fit in my Toy Hauler. Time for winters in AZ.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If I found one out of state but close by I might consider driving to get it but... I already gave a large deposit trying to encourage them. I really want the 500. I like the smaller engine. Burns less fuel.
Couple things to consider, there isnt a whole lot of diff in engines bet the 500 & 520 but a bit more power, not much in the gas usage. If u were thinking between a 500,700,1000 then we can have a cause for concern. The P5 is great dont get me wrong, but i bet you in the end your gonna say…..gee I wish I had gotten that dump bed!
I would have liked that over my P5 if it was out back then. Whatever u decide will be be fine tho. Just somethibg to think about.

As for that deposit, usually there about 500 at most 1k but should have been 500. You should have got a paper/form of some sort with a disclosure for that deposit. That should tell u if U can get it back for nothin (should imo) or there is a small fee (worth it imo than waiting months) or if they didnt give u anything back!
You already put it down so this wont matter, but Id never put a deposit down at a steelership unless you have a Vin number on a machine. When I snow check Sleds, Thats how they get my deposit, otherwise no way Jose!
Too much red tape

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Thanks for any advise.
Ken in Oregon
1st Welcome from central upstate N.Y
Many good people & information on the Honda forum AND they LIKE PICTURES .

Arange to get deposit back ( if needed )
Call around until you find P500 ( any color )
Stop Waiting for specific color ( could take YEARS )

FYI: -- P500 Plastic -- Not Expensive -- Contact \\ Partszilla // ( on line parts store ) nice to buy from / decent prices / good inventory
Buy --\\ Hood & both Rear Renders // -- color of your choice.
Red 1st & fast / Green goes deep / Brown dingle berry / Blue pretty / Camo hides&(Price is High)/ White lost in snow / Yellow safest
Last time purchased --All 3 -- shipped to door little under $175.00 ( 1st. acc purchase )

Winch:
Agree 3500 or more
Mounted on 2in receiver plate
2in Receiver BOTH <> Ft. & Rear
Wire for <> Ft & Rear use <> or <> storage
Used this method since 1986 on many Handa Atv/Utv NEVER a over heating problem.

Enjoy the Toy ( when you find one )
Many good times in the future

Last edited:
R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Couple things to consider, there isnt a whole lot of diff in engines bet the 500 & 520 but a bit more power, not much in the gas usage. If u were thinking between a 500,700,1000 then we can have a cause for concern. The P5 is great dont get me wrong, but i bet you in the end your gonna say…..gee I wish I had gotten that dump bed!
I would have liked that over my P5 if it was out back then. Whatever u decide will be be fine tho. Just somethibg to think about.

As for that deposit, usually there about 500 at most 1k but should have been 500. You should have got a paper/form of some sort with a disclosure for that deposit. That should tell u if U can get it back for nothin (should imo) or there is a small fee (worth it imo than waiting months) or if they didnt give u anything back!
You already put it down so this wont matter, but Id never put a deposit down at a steelership unless you have a Vin number on a machine. When I snow check Sleds, Thats how they get my deposit, otherwise no way Jose!
Too much red tape
I didn’t experience any of these issues while waiting for my P520 from the local dealership here in Washington. I walked in, expressed my interest, they got my info and I waited. I didn’t call or follow up until they notified me one had become available early, due to a cancellation. They gave me a choice to buy the available P520 or wait for the color I originally ordered. I took the P520 that was available since it was the beginning of riding season.

Not all dealers are bad or dishonest.

Mike

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I didn’t experience any of these issues while waiting for my P520 from the local dealership here in Washington. I walked in, expressed my interest, they got my info and I waited. I didn’t call or follow up until they notified me one had become available early, due to a cancellation. They gave me a choice to buy the available P520 or wait for the color I originally ordered. I took the P520 that was available since it was the beginning of riding season.

Not all dealers are bad or dishonest.

Mike
Consider Yourself one of the few lucky ones. And yes not all are bad but its quite a few. But u were still on a “list” How long did u wait before getting the lucky “ cancellation” like Charlie Bucket getting a Golden Tkt in Willy Wanka lol.
Took me a long time to find a 1/2 way decent dealer myself. But from a majority of the experiences here, what Ive stated is what happens. Search it and u will blow your mind 🤯

Last edited:
Parttime

Parttime

Feb 24, 2021
West Monroe La
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for any advise.
Ken in Oregon.
Welcome to the form. I know my parents ordered the 520 and it took a couple weeks to get delivered to Reno Nv. As far as a winch interfering with the air flow to the radiator. I wouldn’t worry about it. There’s plenty of room for the air to move around the winch. Plus the fan will draw what it needs.
Now I have a KFI 3500 lb winch also have a bison bumper. My winch is mounted low cause of the bumper. But my neighbor his is mounted high and he has zero issues with cooling.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Mine is a P500 love it! For winch I’d recommend SuperWinch Terra 4500lbs with synthetic line. They use less power than a lot of the competition including the 3500 SuperWinch. Can’t go wrong with KFI winch mounting kit for either top drawer product.
Cheers,
j

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
20230128 143837

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!