P500 P520 - Any complaints yet? Curious if bed rattles or squeaks, etc.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Hello friends,
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a new P520. We loved our 2018 P500 "Rambo." Having owned a SxS since then with a bed and tailgate, I know how much I love this feature, but also the fact that a bed tends to produce rattles and squeaks. How has the P520's been for folks? Any other complaints or oddities with the P520? From what I've read the P520's air filter is easier to get to, etc. Maybe Honda ironed out a few small complaints on the 520?
Thanks.

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
I really like my 520, never had any dealings with a 500 so I can’t do a comparison. The bed and tailgate on mine do not rattle, the only rattle I have is on the Honda OEM roof and I’m working on it. It definitely is easier to get to the air filter and to check the oil.

I have a 1000-5 and have pretty much given it to the wife. I have my tools for the farm loaded in the 520 and have been using it only.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I really like my 520, never had any dealings with a 500 so I can’t do a comparison. The bed and tailgate on mine do not rattle, the only rattle I have is on the Honda OEM roof and I’m working on it. It definitely is easier to get to the air filter and to check the oil.

I have a 1000-5 and have pretty much given it to the wife. I have my tools for the farm loaded in the 520 and have been using it only.
That is very helpful. Thank you for the response.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
The 520 is our first SXS but we love it. The only "squeeking", if you can call it that, is the roof moving on the frame, but not enough to bother us. My only big complaint has been the suspension. We ride on a lot of rocky and rough trails and it was beating us up pretty bad, so have a set of Elka S3's coming soon. It's just fine stock if your not planning on much rough stuff though. The only other thing I find is I could use more room for the distance to the throttle pedal. I drove my neighbours Ranger and the forward distance is about the same, but the seat height is 2 1/2 inches taller and it is much better. I tried a 2 inch thick cushion in the 520 and it made a big difference. I'm 5'10" so not overly tall.
We have 900km's on it now and I don't regret the decision to get it one bit. We have been glad more than once now that we also have a narrower machine! I've also been waiting to see if I think we need a torque locker, but so far I don't think so. Last week we did a long day on some pretty gnarly trails, and it was the very first time I lost drive from the front end coming off the ground, so had to back up and take a different line. So only the one occasion, and we have done some really good rocky climbs, it's such a little goat, just amazes me what it can climb up.
The pic is a good example of the rocks we get on our trails, though you don't see the elevation at all in the pic, it was quite steep, and you have to zoom in to really see the rocks. We were in first gear and 4w and crawled up this section with absolutely zero issues. Was really fun, but can't wait to try it with the new suspension!
IMG 4986

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
The 520 is our first SXS but we love it. The only "squeeking", if you can call it that, is the roof moving on the frame, but not enough to bother us. My only big complaint has been the suspension. We ride on a lot of rocky and rough trails and it was beating us up pretty bad, so have a set of Elka S3's coming soon. It's just fine stock if your not planning on much rough stuff though. The only other thing I find is I could use more room for the distance to the throttle pedal. I drove my neighbours Ranger and the forward distance is about the same, but the seat height is 2 1/2 inches taller and it is much better. I tried a 2 inch thick cushion in the 520 and it made a big difference. I'm 5'10" so not overly tall.
We have 900km's on it now and I don't regret the decision to get it one bit. We have been glad more than once now that we also have a narrower machine! I've also been waiting to see if I think we need a torque locker, but so far I don't think so. Last week we did a long day on some pretty gnarly trails, and it was the very first time I lost drive from the front end coming off the ground, so had to back up and take a different line. So only the one occasion, and we have done some really good rocky climbs, it's such a little goat, just amazes me what it can climb up.
The pic is a good example of the rocks we get on our trails, though you don't see the elevation at all in the pic, it was quite steep, and you have to zoom in to really see the rocks. We were in first gear and 4w and crawled up this section with absolutely zero issues. Was really fun, but can't wait to try it with the new suspension!
View attachment 280344
Awesome! Thank you

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Mine has a squeak post-PTO. I think its mud/a rock in the rear brake or something similar.

Other than that, I love it.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Mine has a squeak post-PTO. I think its mud/a rock in the rear brake or something similar.

Other than that, I love it.

Similar thing on mine, but more of a rubbing sound. Definitely rear brake, as it goes away when I tap the pedal. As much sage brush as I run over it's probably a piece wedged in there somewhere.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Similar thing on mine, but more of a rubbing sound. Definitely rear brake, as it goes away when I tap the pedal. As much sage brush as I run over it's probably a piece wedged in there somewhere.
I can third the rear brake squeak. Goes away when tapping on the pedal. I am thinking it may need some lube on the caliper pins and some anti squeal on the pads.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Well kinda it only has about 200 miles on it. It may not have happened the first trip but at least around the 100 mile mark. Its not hard to get to I plan on living the caliper pins and putting some disck breaker quiet where the pads ride. I have also been thinking of getting a caliper lock for it at night. I just have measure what size holes I need for a lock

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 280344
Put a locker in it,and you will be looking for the more challenging lines !

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Ha you can hear the bed rattle? I'm always listening for the flux capacitor squeal

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Same on mine, the bed does not rattle
That’s pretty cool because both my Pioneer 1000-3 and 1000-5 have horrible bed rattles. I guess Honda is using a better/different design with the P520….😎

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!