crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi guys!

Just curious if anyone knows the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the P520?

The website list base weight of 1065 pounds with all fluids and a full tank of gas.
It also lists a 450 pound bed limit.
Any idea if the weight of the driver and passenger is part of the 450? I would seriously doubt it, but stranger stuff happens all of the time. The combined weight of my wife, 3 dogs and myself is about 435pounds. Larger tires, different wheels and wheel spacers, added about 100 pounds over stock. Roof, windshield, glove box, under hood storage, winch mount, winch and an aftermarket light added about another 100 pounds.

I'm trying really hard to figure out my needs for Elka shocks. Given that we might go on two big Overlanding Adventures next year: Western Canada and the Arizona Peace Trail, I'm ordering new shocks and planning for how much I can carry. Overlanding will require us to either pull a small trailer or load the bed up with supplies. The dogs will not go with us, but even then my wife and I will contribute 350 pounds to the trip.

Any help with this would be great!

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I assume Trigger likely has one of the heavier P500s around. Anyone who routinely carries a lot of weight not only on the machine, but also the few extra pounds we all end up with, please let me know how a heavily loaded machine performs at altitude and adverse trail conditions.

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
450 is for the bed only. the rack on the 500 is rated the same. just looked in my 2021 manual which is for both. 520 is 882lb. and 500 is 880lb. driver, passenger, all cargo and accessories.

Last edited:
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Since it is off road only, they probably don't have to publish those specs. My guess would be 450 max bed load + passengers. Tire rating is a factor also.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've often thought about going and weighing my machine at the stone dock scales, I'll do it one of these days. Pretty sure I'm over the allotted amount already. This machine handles it though with a Dobeck and opening up the airflow. Haven't had it at altitude yet. I plan to keep adding sh** until it won't move.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I've often thought about going and weighing my machine at the stone dock scales, I'll do it one of these days. Pretty sure I'm over the allotted amount already. This machine handles it though with a Dobeck and opening up the airflow. Haven't had it at altitude yet. I plan to keep adding sh** until it won't move.
Plus a few pounds of mud. Seen guys transport large game on the P500 flat rack, definitely more than 450 LBS. Guess weight for planning purposes depends on intended use.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks guys! I didn't have my owners manual handy today, should have looked there first.

At least I have some extra room to play with. I will no doubt be close when I start adding up extra fuel, water and all camping gear needed for Overlanding.

Rob

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Hi guys!

Just curious if anyone knows the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the P520?

The website list base weight of 1065 pounds with all fluids and a full tank of gas.
It also lists a 450 pound bed limit.
Any idea if the weight of the driver and passenger is part of the 450? I would seriously doubt it, but stranger stuff happens all of the time. The combined weight of my wife, 3 dogs and myself is about 435pounds. Larger tires, different wheels and wheel spacers, added about 100 pounds over stock. Roof, windshield, glove box, under hood storage, winch mount, winch and an aftermarket light added about another 100 pounds.

I'm trying really hard to figure out my needs for Elka shocks. Given that we might go on two big Overlanding Adventures next year: Western Canada and the Arizona Peace Trail, I'm ordering new shocks and planning for how much I can carry. Overlanding will require us to either pull a small trailer or load the bed up with supplies. The dogs will not go with us, but even then my wife and I will contribute 350 pounds to the trip.

Any help with this would be great!

Rob

These units are very capable, but a word of caution, too much weight on the rear will greatly alter the handling characteristics of such as small lightweight machine. Hence, I would plan out the load and trail well (inclines and declines, angles, etc.) before taking off with a heavy load. Safety first and keep the shiny side up :)

Reactions: crewcabrob
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1000-5 has a sticker on the frame with the gvwr on it. Can't remember where on the frame it is

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
These units are very capable, but a word of caution, too much weight on the rear will greatly alter the handling characteristics of such as small lightweight machine. Hence, I would plan out the load and trail well (inclines and declines, angles, etc.) before taking off with a heavy load. Safety first and keep the shiny side up :)
Yep, I appreciate the advice. I am planning on carrying extra fuel over the hood via a Rotopax I have. I also plan on utilizing the space under the drivers seat for a 100Ah battery to run things in camp. Not much, but every little bit helps.

I don't really think I will get that close to the limit now that I have started compiling the equipment, but I will have to be very deliberate with my choices for supplies and such.

Rob

advertisement
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
My 1000-5 has a sticker on the frame with the gvwr on it. Can't remember where on the frame it is
I didn't have a chance to look over my Pioneer to see if it has one or not.

If I would have been smart, I would have weighed everything I took off or put on to keep a total.

Rob