BOX1

P700 P700-4 hard start when warmed up

R

Red Dawg

Mar 14, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey guys I’m pretty stumped on this one. I just got done doing a lot of work to this 2016 p700-4. ALL new starting gear including cam,torque reducer,one way starter clutch and new oem top end with jug. I also adjusted the valves to spec and the dang thing trashed another starter today. It maybe had 30 starts on it. It was a cheap caltric starter but my thought was that I shouldn’t need an expensive Honda starter with all new stuff. The buggy starts up great when she’s cold. But when she’s warmed up it’s really tough to get her started. The starter seems like it’s struggling to turn the motor over and every once in awhile it would suddenly catch and make a horribley loud “clank” then slowly start turning over again. Now it’s just ground the teeth off the starter. I just ordered the dreaded $427 honda starter which about made me puke when I pushed the order confirmation button. That is a completely ridiculous price I might add. But I’m wondering if maybe the cheap starter just didn’t have enough a** to turn the motor over properly and that’s what caused this issue or could it be something else? I have put a crap ton of time and money into this thing and it’s still not up to par. Pretty disappointed. I’ve rebuilt a lot of atv’s, dirt bikes, and a couple of sxs’s and never once had issues like this. Could it be the computer getting warm, weak fuel pump, tiny battery? Seems like the design of this thing is pretty crappy if you ask me. Any info will help. Thanks!

R

Red Dawg

Mar 14, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Also I feel like they should have just added a bigger battery and starter instead of a torque reducer, and fancy camshaft that fails. But who am I.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A quick guess would be the spring is getting weak on the torque reducer.
When hot it is even worse.
But other more knowledgeable will probably chime in to help.
Have a good day
Edit
Crap, didn't see that you had already changed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Dawg
R

Red Dawg

Mar 14, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah it’s all brand new so I’m stumped.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ok, now to type CORRECTLY what I read about this morning. Was running late for work.
I had read about the auto decompressor there is small spring that gets weak.
Something to research.
Back to work
Have a good day

R

Red Dawg

Mar 14, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah I read that too. That is located on the camshaft and I put a whole new camshaft in it. So all of the starting gear has been replaced. So I believe it’s either fuel related or computer related.

Reactions: Backwoods
R

Red Dawg

Mar 14, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Idk maybe once I get this fancy gold plated starter in the mail it will start better. 😑

• Haha
Reactions: Backwoods
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
suggestion if new starter doesn't solve,

check starter solenoid

ive jumped from a car battery direct to the starter on small engines, atvs to eliminate if the issue was starter\battery\solenoid\etc. or a bad decompression mechanism, valves way out of adjustment, etc.

Reactions: Red Dawg
R

Red Dawg

Mar 14, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Wow that’s a great idea! Thanks for the advice!

R

Red Dawg

Mar 14, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well guys the oem starter made a huge difference. Cranks over way faster than the cheap one. It doesn’t seem to struggle at all also. So it seems to have fixed the problem. Only time will tell. Thanks for the help y’all! I truly appreciate it!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!