P700 P700 Transmission Issue

SteveDurden

SteveDurden

Oct 12, 2018
Ozark, AL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Had my 2017 P700 serviced a couple of weeks ago. When riding this past weekend, It lost all drive and the coolant temperature light came on. Pushed it home and let it sit for a spell. cranked it up and put in Forward. Linkages and all worked and it sounded like it went into gear, but no moving. Same for reverse. When in forward and reverse it can be rolled like it's in neutral. Oh, and the high temp light came on again, the coolant temp data screen went to max, and the fan came on. Thoughts anyone?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had my 2017 P700 serviced a couple of weeks ago. When riding this past weekend, It lost all drive and the coolant temperature light came on. Pushed it home and let it sit for a spell. cranked it up and put in Forward. Linkages and all worked and it sounded like it went into gear, but no moving. Same for reverse. When in forward and reverse it can be rolled like it's in neutral. Oh, and the high temp light came on again, the coolant temp data screen went to max, and the fan came on. Thoughts anyone?
Have you checked the engine oil and coolant levels?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did this happen at EXACTLY the same time?

The maxed temp and light suggest something with the coolant temp sensor on the back of the heat...or the wiring...or actual overheating, but I don't think the ecm disables the clutch engagement for that.
There is also an oil temp sensor just below the crank access plug on the rear of the engine, but again, I don't know if that lights the temp light and gauge...or if it kills drive.
If this all happened at exactly the same time, I'd suspect wiring damage affecting all of this. Check battery connections and grounds?
Also...just to make sure these aren't two different issues, check the oil just to be sure.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just thinking...one other thing...
If there was a slight delay with the temp light after losing drive, I think the water pump on a 700 is driven off the end of the oil pump. If the pump chain broke or jumped off, that would explain both.

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
SteveDurden

SteveDurden

Oct 12, 2018
Ozark, AL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the replies. Coolant and oil levels check out. I can't say the temp light and loss of drive were simultaneous, but the events were close enough to seem related.