Pancake Compressors

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for a small compressor for the new place and spotted this guy on a black friday deal

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...ke-Air-Compressor-3-Tools-Included/1000595155

anyone have any experience with it? Seems like a decent deal for whats included, and I'll be doing some flooring/molding here soon so the extra tools would be a nice pick up as well.

Anyone have another brand/style they prefer? I dont need a full sized at this point.

Thanks for the input!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking for a small compressor for the new place and spotted this guy on a black friday deal

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...ke-Air-Compressor-3-Tools-Included/1000595155

anyone have any experience with it? Seems like a decent deal for whats included, and I'll be doing some flooring/molding here soon so the extra tools would be a nice pick up as well.

Anyone have another brand/style they prefer? I dont need a full sized at this point.

Thanks for the input!

Look at duty cycle they are going to run a lot if you’re using air.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I designed these at a previous job.
They are seriously lacking in capacity.
What will you do with it 90% of the time?
What is the most demanding task you will ask it to do?

2.5 CFM is nothing. You can't run anything continuously.

It will air up a tire. It will drive a nail/brad. If that is all you need, then it beats having nothing.

These are the same compressors as the ones at the gas stations.

Reactions: dnjones161
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I designed these at a previous job.
They are seriously lacking in capacity.
What will you do with it 90% of the time?
What is the most demanding task you will ask it to do?

2.5 CFM is nothing. You can't run anything continuously.

It will air up a tire. It will drive a nail/brad. If that is all you need, then it beats having nothing.

These are the same compressors as the ones at the gas stations.

Thats about it- air up a tire, drive a nail into a piece of quarter round, nothing crazy.

I'm not trying to paint anything with it or run an impact wrench or anything like that.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Other than the name on the compressor, it looks just like the Porter Cable kit I have. My nail guns are similar except for the stapler, which looks like the other nail guns, only smaller. The compressor also handle a PC Framing gun when I built 1500' of wooden fence.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I've had a Craftsman pancake compressor for 20 yrs. 15 yrs ago it rolled over in the back of the truck and broke the fins off the cooling fan inside. Hung a lot of doors, trimmed a lot of houses and ran a lot of soffit with that compressor since then. Don't think I've drained the tank in 4 or 5 yrs now and I still use it all the time, it won't die.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I came to the same conclusion a couple of years ago.
My big one took up space and just didn't need it any longer.

I switched to a pancake as well.
It fills fast and it's portable, I like it alot. Even at 75 psi on rv tires, I can generally get around all 6 tires just for maintenance in one charge.

BTW-
I just changed the long, coiled, 25' hose with a 6' straight hose from Amazon. Trying to wrap that up neatly was like folding a fitted sheet- impossible, just a trip hazard as I carried it around. Much less hassle.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Other than the name on the compressor, it looks just like the Porter Cable kit I have. My nail guns are similar except for the stapler, which looks like the other nail guns, only smaller. The compressor also handle a PC Framing gun when I built 1500' of wooden fence.

Thanks for the replies everybody.

It looks like Home Depot running the Porter-Cable for the same price right now. So far as I can tell they are manufactured together and share every part but the sticker kit.

It'll probably just depend on which store I get to first lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Thanks for the input!
I’ve been using one for a dozen years. Mostly limited use, tires, cleaning out machinery, airing up inflatables. But I have used it to construct a few outbuildings using various nail guns, running throughout the day for days on end. No complaints.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is a different sticker kit variant, but it does well. I'd suggest you pay attention to the initial start up procedure though. I think it was something like run it for 5 or 10 minutes with the valve open to seat the compressor seals. I then suggest filling it to max psi and leaving it for a good while. If the pressure doesn't drop you are golden. If it does take a significant dive exchange it and try again. I left mine at 120 PSI (or maybe it is 150 psi sorry been a while) over night (easy 8 hours) and it held fine. I gleaned the tip from reviews though and several guys went through a couple to get a good one. Quality control on them appears to be job number eleventeen.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've had a Craftsman pancake compressor for 20 yrs. 15 yrs ago it rolled over in the back of the truck and broke the fins off the cooling fan inside. Hung a lot of doors, trimmed a lot of houses and ran a lot of soffit with that compressor since then. Don't think I've drained the tank in 4 or 5 yrs now and I still use it all the time, it won't die.
Do go ahead and drain that tank now that you’re thinking about it, probably have a bit of diminished capacity right now.....:cool::D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Thanks for the input!
Btw, the three tools that come with it would cost $199.00 themselves. :cool:

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Purchased!

Realized today it ain't any cheaper Friday so Im sleeping in!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thanks for the input!
I've not had good luck with oilless, the compressor I've got now is an oil compressor, 10 Gal, 3.8 CFM at 90 PSI. I'll be laying a little over 450 SQ foot of # 2, 3/4 inch Red Oak flooring in our Master Bed Room in the very near future. It will get a work out, so will I! HA!

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Do go ahead and drain that tank now that you’re thinking about it, probably have a bit of diminished capacity right now.....:cool::D

probably have a rusted tank about to explode.

Reactions: Montecresto