Parking brake to make it street legal in Michigan.

Heathcliff

Heathcliff

May 25, 2020
Sand Lake, Michigan
I've searched everywhere and the only thing I come up with is a piece called, spring brake thingy. It looks like it works fine, but I'm not sure if it complies with Michigan law concerning a parking brake. I have read that it needs to be a cable operated brake, separate from the hydraulic system. But the form from the SOS doesn't say that. Making a side by side street legal is so expensive, and I don't want to go through the whole process only to be told that without the proper parking brake, it doesn't qualify. Anyone from Michigan done this yet? What about other states with similar requirements?
Screenshot 20200606 202640 Gallery

Last edited:
Reactions: Biteme
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I cant answer your question about Michigan law compliance but I have the Spring Brake Thingy in my Talon and it works great as an add on parking brake. That form doesn't indicate that the parking brake needs to be cable operated but I would think calling whoever is in charge of the inspection could be able to tell you for sure.

The parking brake installation is just 2 bolts and the operation is just as simple. Press the brake down with your right foot and move the lever over with your left foot and let go of the brake pedal. Press the brake pedal again firmly and the Spring Brake Thingy releases.

IMG 20200606 202435779 XL

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I've searched everywhere and the only thing I come up with is a piece called, spring brake thingy. It looks like it works fine, but I'm not sure if it complies with Michigan law concerning a parking brake. I have read that it needs to be a cable operated brake, separate from the hydraulic system. But the form from the SOS doesn't say that. Making a side by side is so expensive, and I don't want to go through the whole process only to be told that without the proper parking brake, it doesn't qualify. Anyone from Michigan done this yet? What about other states with similar requirements? View attachment 206589
Hillbilly brake

Heathcliff

Heathcliff

May 25, 2020
Sand Lake, Michigan
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.705 Brake equipment.

Sec. 705.

(1) Brake equipment shall be required as follows:
(a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or moped, and a low-speed vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the vehicle, including 2 separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least 2 wheels. If these 2 separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way, they shall be constructed in a way that failure of 1 part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes on at least 2 wheels.
(b) A motorcycle or moped when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least 2 brakes, 1 on the front wheel and 1 on the rear wheel, that may be operated by hand or foot

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.705 Brake equipment.

Sec. 705.

(1) Brake equipment shall be required as follows:
(a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or moped, and a low-speed vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the vehicle, including 2 separate means of applying the brakes, each of which means shall be effective to apply the brakes to at least 2 wheels. If these 2 separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way, they shall be constructed in a way that failure of 1 part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes on at least 2 wheels.
(b) A motorcycle or moped when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with at least 2 brakes, 1 on the front wheel and 1 on the rear wheel, that may be operated by hand or foot
This is common in many stated. All the bolded part means is that you cannot use a single master cylinder system (like from the 1950's). The Talon passes this part of the law because it uses a dual master cylinder (and anti-lock brakes to boot). If the front fails, the rear still works and vise-versa.

That section has nothing to do with a park brake. Is there something else in the law that specifically states there must be a parking or hand brake?

Reactions: Biteme and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Found it, section (g) of the same code...

(g) A motor vehicle and combination of vehicles, except pole trailers, motorcycles, and mopeds, shall be equipped with parking brakes adequate to hold the vehicle on any grade on which it is operated, under all conditions of loading on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material. The parking brakes shall be capable of being applied in conformance with the foregoing requirements by the driver's muscular effort or by spring action or by equivalent means. Their operation may be assisted by the service brakes or other source of power if failure of the service brake actuation system or other power assisting mechanism will not prevent the parking brakes from being applied in conformance with the foregoing requirements. The parking brakes shall be designed in a manner that when once applied they shall remain applied with the required effectiveness despite exhaustion of any source of energy or leakage of any kind. The same brake drums, brake shoes, and lining assemblies, brake shoe anchors, and mechanical brake shoe actuation mechanism normally associated with the wheel brake assemblies may be used for both the service brakes and the parking brakes. If the means of applying the parking brakes and the service brakes are connected in any way, they shall be constructed in a manner that failure of 1 part shall not leave the vehicle without operative brakes.

The part in red might be a problem with the "Spring Brake Thingy" or "Hillbilly Brake". If the system springs a leak, the park brake will fail.

That being said, then my 2015 Audi (and many other newer cars) do not pass this requirement. My Audi, by the flip of a switch, utilizes a motor to actuate the rear hydraulics to apply the park brake so the same applies to my Audi. If my Audi springs a leak in the rear hydraulics, my park brake fails. I don't think Michigan thought this out very well. All those legislators in their fancy cars don't meet this requirement in my opinion. According to some estimates, 2/3 of all new cars have electric or electronic park brakes. Electric are applied by the driver while electronic can automatically apply when parked on an a hill.

If they are going to allow all the newer cars to slide on this requirement, then they should let a SxS go with the "Spring Brake Thingy" or "Hillbilly Brake".

JMHO, YMMV :)

F

Firejim711

Sep 13, 2020
Howell,MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've searched everywhere and the only thing I come up with is a piece called, spring brake thingy. It looks like it works fine, but I'm not sure if it complies with Michigan law concerning a parking brake. I have read that it needs to be a cable operated brake, separate from the hydraulic system. But the form from the SOS doesn't say that. Making a side by side street legal is so expensive, and I don't want to go through the whole process only to be told that without the proper parking brake, it doesn't qualify. Anyone from Michigan done this yet? What about other states with similar requirements? View attachment 206589
Did you find a solution?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!