P500 Phantom voltage?

I

Islander

Sep 7, 2015
Sault Ste.Marie Canada
About a year ago I installed an led voltmeter on the white tape branch of the sub harness .it worked great till a week ago it started to gradually get a low reading of 6 or 8 volts while the key is off.Turn the key on it returns to normal and disappears when keys off then comes sneaking back a few minutes later .Any ideas what's going on here?Batts. disconnected for now

Olaf

Olaf

Aug 18, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
About a year ago I installed an led voltmeter on the white tape branch of the sub harness .it worked great till a week ago it started to gradually get a low reading of 6 or 8 volts while the key is off.Turn the key on it returns to normal and disappears when keys off then comes sneaking back a few minutes later .Any ideas what's going on here?Batts. disconnected for now
Just a thought but one by one start disconnecting accessories to see what's feeding that voltage back into the harness.

Olaf

Olaf

Aug 18, 2019
Mn
Ownership

1. 500
The winch would be suspect being connected to battery and harness via the relay and switch. Try checking for voltage across both of these. Negative probe to good ground and positive probe to the two control terminals and to the two wire connections to those same two terminals. This should let you know if it's the switch or relay. The only other thing I can think of is a bad ignition switch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!