P1000 Pioneer 1000-5 Ag sprayer advice

W

Wbstevens1

Feb 25, 2023
Lake Oconee, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, I’m looking for any advice or experience any of you may have on a sxs Ag sprayer that will fit through the tailgate and into the bed of my 2023 P1000-5. When I upgraded to the 5 seat model I did not realize the tailgate and bed opening are quite a bit more narrow than the P1000-3. I’m looking for a sprayer with a 60-65 gallon tank, preferably gas self powered, with a receiver hitch mounted boom. If I can’t find a gas self powered option that will slide in and out of the bed I would be open to an electric model (and will be using a separate deep size 27 deep cycle battery if I go that route). I can’t find much info online about specific sprayers that will fit (most list tank dimensions but not total package width) so was hoping to try my luck here. We have a 3pt tractor sprayer as well but really need something that can get down tighter trails. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey

Jan 17, 2019
Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have this one.

IMG 3793

Reactions: Remington and EMAW
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah, if you're married to to 60 gallon thing you might struggle finding something. I have a couple of 26 gallon sprayers from Northern Tool....aka china that do the job. Cheap junk, but they mostly get it done.

• Haha
Reactions: Mopower58 and EMAW
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, I’m looking for any advice or experience any of you may have on a sxs Ag sprayer that will fit through the tailgate and into the bed of my 2023 P1000-5. When I upgraded to the 5 seat model I did not realize the tailgate and bed opening are quite a bit more narrow than the P1000-3. I’m looking for a sprayer with a 60-65 gallon tank, preferably gas self powered, with a receiver hitch mounted boom. If I can’t find a gas self powered option that will slide in and out of the bed I would be open to an electric model (and will be using a separate deep size 27 deep cycle battery if I go that route). I can’t find much info online about specific sprayers that will fit (most list tank dimensions but not total package width) so was hoping to try my luck here. We have a 3pt tractor sprayer as well but really need something that can get down tighter trails. Any advice would be much appreciated!
I’m a licensed applicator in SD. I run a pretty simple electric 65 gallon tank setup that I made outta some extra parts I had.

I purchased a spot sprayer tank so that I have a remote wand I can get out and spray the areas I can’t easily navigate too. My tank, wand and pump is similar to this

I also custom made my bed extender such that my boomless spray bar is mounted at the edge of the tailgate extender.

I got this boomless sprayer off another damaged smaller sprayer I had. You want to have this mounted approximately at the level that the tailgate opens down too. Too high and you get a lot of drift. Too low and you’re sacrificing distance and likely to hit a lot of stuff. I simply plumbed in a valve and a tee to the tank sprayer to cut the boom when I want to use the wand.

Maybe you can find this on facebook marketplace or something cheaper. The parts are available at your local farm ranch store.

Skip the gas motor…not needed and it adds weight. Same for the extra deep cycle battery. You can run directly off the battery with a fused connection…just make sure the motor is always running. I use an in-line switch to kill the power to the sprayer as needed.

Make dang sure you strap the tank down well. I run six straps on mine. Two hoops pulling forward, two side straps over the top pulling the sides outwards, and two pulling down. Strap the tank empty as it will get sloppy if you do it when full as it empties. With 65 gallons of liquid your P1000 will wallow and squat. It will behave very poorly because of the unbaffled tank.

Skip the boom type sprayer…they are ok for wide open mostly flat spaces only. If you are spraying in and around trees or in ravines and other off camber locations you’ll rip the heads of quick fast and in a hurry or drag one or both ends in the dirt. With a boomless sprayer you must pay attention to wind and drift. Mine has a coverage of 35 or so feet.

Somewhere on the site I have shared pictures of my setup, but I don’t have any on my phone anymore.

Last edited:
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have one that works off 12v battery and is designed like the one in the picture below. The one in the picture is from Northern Tool. The boom folds in so you can go on trails with it and they have a hand wand for fence lines. I've had this type of designed spreader for 30 years, works great. Just add a plug and switch for the 12v motor and your in business. Note: I don't fill mine to 50 gallons, about half because I'm not on flat ground sometimes. You'll be top heavy when you get the water in it.
5471848 3

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hello everyone, I’m looking for any advice or experience any of you may have on a sxs Ag sprayer that will fit through the tailgate and into the bed of my 2023 P1000-5.
Welcome From Michigan

Yes there are many sprayers out there. I have one thats a 20hal for my food plots. Got it @ TSC.

Seen you have 3 posts and no pics of your rig yet. Its Rule #4 PIcs Or It Didnt Happen

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah, if you're married to to 60 gallon thing you might struggle finding something. I have a couple of 26 gallon sprayers from Northern Tool....aka china that do the job. Cheap junk, but they mostly get it done.
That’s what we use from tractor supply. Might have to use a trailer specifically for the 60 gal. and make it self contained.

W

Wbstevens1

Feb 25, 2023
Lake Oconee, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just google utv sprayers . there’s a lot of options out there that will fit your needs.
Spent quite a bit of time on Google before I posted here and there are many options for something that will fit a 48” wide bed but most don’t list dimensions specifically enough to determine if it will fit through the 40” tailgate of the P1K5. Was hoping to get some first hand experience.

Reactions: Backwoods
W

Wbstevens1

Feb 25, 2023
Lake Oconee, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a licensed applicator in SD. I run a pretty simple electric 65 gallon tank setup that I made outta some extra parts I had.

I purchased a spot sprayer tank so that I have a remote wand I can get out and spray the areas I can’t easily navigate too. My tank, wand and pump is similar to this

I also custom made my bed extender such that my boomless spray bar is mounted at the edge of the tailgate extender.

I got this boomless sprayer off another damaged smaller sprayer I had. You want to have this mounted approximately at the level that the tailgate opens down too. Too high and you get a lot of drift. Too low and you’re sacrificing distance and likely to hit a lot of stuff. I simply plumbed in a valve and a tee to the tank sprayer to cut the boom when I want to use the wand.

Maybe you can find this on facebook marketplace or something cheaper. The parts are available at your local farm ranch store.

Skip the gas motor…not needed and it adds weight. Same for the extra deep cycle battery. You can run directly off the battery with a fused connection…just make sure the motor is always running. I use an in-line switch to kill the power to the sprayer as needed.

Make dang sure you strap the tank down well. I run six straps on mine. Two hoops pulling forward, two side straps over the top pulling the sides outwards, and two pulling down. Strap the tank empty as it will get sloppy if you do it when full as it empties. With 65 gallons of liquid your P1000 will wallow and squat. It will behave very poorly because of the unbaffled tank.

Skip the boom type sprayer…they are ok for wide open mostly flat spaces only. If you are spraying in and around trees or in ravines and other off camber locations you’ll rip the heads of quick fast and in a hurry or drag one or both ends in the dirt. With a boomless sprayer you must pay attention to wind and drift. Mine has a coverage of 35 or so feet.

Somewhere on the site I have shared pictures of my setup, but I don’t have any on my phone anymore.
Thanks for the info! Most of our land is planted pines and the plots are relatively flat. Our tractor sprayer is boomless and wind drift is a problem on the smaller plots that have less room to maneuver the tractor to adjust for wind and results are not always great. We have a mix of large plots, some up to 15-20 acres and small plots of an acre or so and we plant some shooting lanes that are no more than 30 feet wide in spots so that’s why I was thinking to go with a boom sprayer for the sxs.

Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey

Jan 17, 2019
Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Came with a switch that plugs into cigarette lighter.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info! Most of our land is planted pines and the plots are relatively flat. Our tractor sprayer is boomless and wind drift is a problem on the smaller plots that have less room to maneuver the tractor to adjust for wind and results are not always great. We have a mix of large plots, some up to 15-20 acres and small plots of an acre or so and we plant some shooting lanes that are no more than 30 feet wide in spots so that’s why I was thinking to go with a boom sprayer for the sxs.
Yeah for sure it’s a take and give.

I have 15 acres of pine trees that I also spray as well. I actually spray the trees themselves for spider mites with the pistol wand I have. I use the boomless to get really close and get the ground covered. With the boomless I mentioned you can shut off any of the sides or middle to do unique combinations of middle left right ect. Usually I’ll edge a pasture by turning off the drivers boom and drive as close to the fence as possible depending on the wind creating a buffer zone trying to spray the passenger side into the wind. Of course anything over 15 is way too much wind for spraying.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

This company will make custom size tanks or they may already have the size you need . Just install a pump and you're good to go

ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So.... don't use the hand wand and spray in front of your rig, then drive across your lawn when you are done.

Ask me how I know. 🤡

• Haha
Reactions: Vikes79

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!