P1000 Pioneer 1000-5 wont idle

C

Captain1989

Jun 10, 2024
Calgary Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Need help please, I'm totally stuck. I've just picked up a second hand 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5. I'm having 2 issues with it the major one being it won't idle. If you start it up it will run okay for a minute or 2 at the 1300 rpm spec however after that the rpms start dropping to 500rpm and it starts running incredibly rich then will start to sputter and die, if you manually rev it up with the gas pedal or take it for a drive it runs just fine until you let off the gas then will die. So far I have drained the gas and refilled with fresh premium 93 octane and seafoam, Previous owner said he changed the fuel pump with a honda pump, spark plugs have been replaced, iacv assembly has been replaced, O2 sensor has been replaced, Battery has been replaced, valves have been adjusted. It still has the exact same problem, I have tried unplugging injectors one at a time to rule out a stuck open injector and unplugging either injector causes it to die (a stuck open injector should keep it running even unplugged as it would be stuck open in my mind), I have tried the iacv relearn procedure, I have tried running it with the O2 sensor removed from the exhaust to rule out a plugged exhaust and no change. I currently have it at the Honda dealer but they can't figure it out either. Has anyone else encountered this or have any suggestions what to try next?

Reactions: ChadD
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
any suggestions what to try next?
Welcome from Michigan first off!
Suggestions would be to post pics of your rig, and milage but preferably start an Intro thread with all this its in the fine print! POIDH

So, Bad gas, Bad Injector wiring (quite common) and the MOST common, a bad ground. There are alot of them on there. Take them off and clean them and the mating surfaces good. Also check your air filter. As silly as that sounds, they will cause a stalling. Do tge simple things first cuz thats most of time the issue.
Also use the search up top, alot of info there thats already been covered with pics

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
C

Captain1989

Jun 10, 2024
Calgary Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Michigan first off!
Suggestions would be to post pics of your rig, and milage but preferably start an Intro thread with all this its in the fine print! POIDH

So, Bad gas, Bad Injector wiring (quite common) and the MOST common, a bad ground. There are alot of them on there. Take them off and clean them and the mating surfaces good. Also check your air filter. As silly as that sounds, they will cause a stalling. Do tge simple things first cuz thats most of time the issue.
Also use the search up top, alot of info there thats already been covered with pics
Thank you so much for the warm welcome I don't have any pics of it yet as it has been torn apart since it got home but in good shape with only 3400kms or 2100 miles.

Bad gas is where I started first draining the tank and fresh gas with seafoam. Tried shaking injector wires and no change however I have ordered the pigtail kit from Honda SXS off Amazon should be here Friday. I will look at the grounds when I get it back from the dealer this week air filter is new and tried running without the airbox on too to rule that out completely.

Is there anyway to test the MAP or ECM?

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you so much for the warm welcome I don't have any pics of it yet as it has been torn apart since it got home but in good shape with only 3400kms or 2100 miles.

Bad gas is where I started first draining the tank and fresh gas with seafoam. Tried shaking injector wires and no change however I have ordered the pigtail kit from Honda SXS off Amazon should be here Friday. I will look at the grounds when I get it back from the dealer this week air filter is new and tried running without the airbox on too to rule that out completely.

So YOU have it torn apart but its at the dealer🧐 kinda odd but ok!
So Im assuming its at the dealer for this issue and they aint gettin no place with it so your asking here now or are we missin something?

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@Captain1989: What ☝️☝️☝️ said. Start with the easier things, and changing the gas is Numero One.
I experienced the same symptoms with a brand new 2021 P1K5. Mine stalled at idle and at speed. It was random.
After the first dealer couldn't fix it, I took it to a second.
After three different trips to dealers, someone finally read a service bulletin and decided to remove and redo the engine grounds.
Rocket science.
Don't just wiggle them, remove, clean and replace.
Find a screenshot of a manual - there are two separate grounds and if one isn't perfect, your rig will stall.
I hope this is the solution because the price goes up after this . . .

J

JTF64

Jun 21, 2024
BC
Need help please, I'm totally stuck. I've just picked up a second hand 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5. I'm having 2 issues with it the major one being it won't idle. If you start it up it will run okay for a minute or 2 at the 1300 rpm spec however after that the rpms start dropping to 500rpm and it starts running incredibly rich then will start to sputter and die, if you manually rev it up with the gas pedal or take it for a drive it runs just fine until you let off the gas then will die. So far I have drained the gas and refilled with fresh premium 93 octane and seafoam, Previous owner said he changed the fuel pump with a honda pump, spark plugs have been replaced, iacv assembly has been replaced, O2 sensor has been replaced, Battery has been replaced, valves have been adjusted. It still has the exact same problem, I have tried unplugging injectors one at a time to rule out a stuck open injector and unplugging either injector causes it to die (a stuck open injector should keep it running even unplugged as it would be stuck open in my mind), I have tried the iacv relearn procedure, I have tried running it with the O2 sensor removed from the exhaust to rule out a plugged exhaust and no change. I currently have it at the Honda dealer but they can't figure it out either. Has anyone else encountered this or have any suggestions what to try next?

Maybe this would help?

2016-2020 HONDA PIONEER 1000 M3 M3P M3LE M5D M5LE SIDE X SIDE PDF SERVICE REPAIR SHOP MANUALS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement