P1000 Pioneer 1000 losing power steering when cold

H

Hotlz

Aug 22, 2020
Pelican rapids, mn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had my pioneer out ice fishing today in - 12f temps. After I was done fishing while riding in I noticed that the steering was tough, and sure enough the PS light was on. I didn't notice if it was on right away or came on during the ride in. I had the same trouble last year in sub-zero temps when I had my tracks on and thought maybe it had something to do with the tracks, but obviously not as I don't have them on yet.

After I got home I immediately checked battery voltage and it was at 13.1v. After last years issue with this I put in a bigger battery, and checked all the grounds, which were fine.

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this. Thought it might be voltage issues but that was good when I checked it. Only happens when its out in sub zero temps.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Only happens when its out in sub zero temps.
Those temps (i use mine often in those temps) If things are perfect with the machine, she will run like a 66’ Volkswagen. So the question…
How many miles?
What year rig?
How many are Idling miles or Hrs?

Reactions: ChadD
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Hotlz make sure you do that or hit “reply” to whom your responding to. Or @Dirtstiffs-1000
Wont know you did😉
Fixed it for ya! He will now

Reactions: ChadD
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure on that one Dirtstiff, but I don't think so. I'll keep an eye on it next time I'm out.
@Hotlz,
If your battery and charging system are in order, and the front end is in good shape -

Power steering lube - fluid can become thick and freeze in very cold temperatures, and doesn't flow as well as it normally would.

@ -12 F below 0, plus windchill, I think you may have answered your own question.

Search power steering problems on this site, for other's symptoms.

Someone will come along who has actually been into the Pioneer's electric power steering unit..

I have not...just familiar with the effect of sub zero temps and equipment.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Hotlz
Not knowing your milage, and Idle time?
Id suggest some new plugs. They like to foul up while ideling low rpm’s and the like and will cause a low voltage situation on the system and these issues you describe. It happened to me this past winter. Threw me for a loop at first then remember reading on here about one of the various issues plugs can cause. Changed them and was all good. That said, cold temps will mess with the power steering as well especially if you have a 21’and lower with the smaller motor.

Reactions: 0860silverado
H

Hotlz

Aug 22, 2020
Pelican rapids, mn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those temps (i use mine often in those temps) If things are perfect with the machine, she will run like a 66’ Volkswagen. So the question…
How many miles?
What year rig?
How many are Idling miles or Hrs?
2020 1000-3, 660 miles, 83.3 hrs. Of those hours I'd say maybe 2 hrs idle time at most.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
2020 1000-3, 660 miles, 83.3 hrs. Of those hours I'd say maybe 2 hrs idle time at most.
But with the hrs Vrs miles, not going very fast. Change the plugs

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hotlz
The power steering is electric assisting mechanical.

Do you have a digital volt meter or one on the dash?

Or buy one that plugs into the cig lighter accessory plug in.

Run your buggy around and monitor the guage. It should read around 14 volts coming off the alternator - stator.. That atleast gives you a place to start.

Also measure the battery's static voltage. Meaning, no load, nothing on, test it with volt meter ( digital meter) at the battery terminals. Should see 12.3 volts plus, if the battery is ok.
I think you did this?

Then you can look at the power steering unit for problems.

My thought, its the cold weather.
Maybe try zip tieing some foam / insulation, maybe a foam speaker baffel or hair dryer diffuser around the steering drive motor.

A split viscosity gear box lube change, may not be possible..

Come on spring..
Best, I'm out.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DRZRon1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!