P1000 Pioneer 1000 or something else?

C

Crambo

Nov 16, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
ive always rode ATV’s but looking to move into a sxs for general trail riding, hunting and messing around the house. The pioneer 1000 is at the top of my list but I’m still not completely finished looking. I know this is a Honda forum but is there anything else that warrants a look? My uncle just bought a Can Am and it’s seems like a nice machine but I just rode in it for a bit. I would have to have a 4 seater if I went that route and I don’t know about maneuverability on trails or reliability. Yamaha bikes have been good to me in the past but they just don’t have anything that excites me at the moment other than maybe the wolverine x4 but it doesn’t have much bed space. My experience with Side by sides is limited and I want to make the right choice. I feel like the pioneer just provides the best of all worlds.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
DarthM

DarthM

Sep 22, 2017
Phoenix
Since I have almost no experience with any (this is my first SXS), I’m not sure this of much help. I started by asking some basic questions.

1). What kind of riding? Mostly trail, likely moderate to slow speed. (Need to keep the WAF high)
2). What kind of seating? Usually 2, but want the ability to carry at least 4, 5 would be perfect.
3). What else? I want it to take me camping, not just take it camping.

This mostly ruled out the sports. I also wanted something that could play, which meant the sport utility segment.

A) Polaris General -ruled out due to price and reliability concerns
B) Can am Commander - interesting machine ended up ruling out because of reliability concerns and how many are for sale used. You see 1 Can am for every 10 Polaris out on the trails, when your looking at machines for sale, then it seems the reverse.
C) Kawasaki Teryx 4 - this was close. Great reliability feedback. They’re loud, but priced competitively and have a lot of value. Plus they’re relatively compact compared to Can am and Polaris. Almost went this route.
D) Yamaha Wolverine x4 - ruled out because I’ve still yet to see one on a showroom floor.
E) Honda Pioneer 5 - versatility, Honda reputation, 1000 cc, price, relatively quiet and compact footprint.

First 200 miles, I’m pretty happy. Would I love a full sport? Quite likely, not sure it meets my needs or gets my wife’s (riding partner) approval though.

C

Crambo

Nov 16, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah, reliability concerns me with can am just because I don’t know much about them. Kawasaki Teryx 4 does seem to be well liked. I’m gonna take a look at them and the wolverine before I do anything. The pioneer does have a lot going for it as far as versatility.

J

JTW

Since I have almost no experience with any (this is my first SXS), I’m not sure this of much help. I started by asking some basic questions.

1). What kind of riding? Mostly trail, likely moderate to slow speed. (Need to keep the WAF high)
2). What kind of seating? Usually 2, but want the ability to carry at least 4, 5 would be perfect.
3). What else? I want it to take me camping, not just take it camping.

This mostly ruled out the sports. I also wanted something that could play, which meant the sport utility segment.

A) Polaris General -ruled out due to price and reliability concerns
B) Can am Commander - interesting machine ended up ruling out because of reliability concerns and how many are for sale used. You see 1 Can am for every 10 Polaris out on the trails, when your looking at machines for sale, then it seems the reverse.
C) Kawasaki Teryx 4 - this was close. Great reliability feedback. They’re loud, but priced competitively and have a lot of value. Plus they’re relatively compact compared to Can am and Polaris. Almost went this route.
D) Yamaha Wolverine x4 - ruled out because I’ve still yet to see one on a showroom floor.
E) Honda Pioneer 5 - versatility, Honda reputation, 1000 cc, price, relatively quiet and compact footprint.

First 200 miles, I’m pretty happy. Would I love a full sport? Quite likely, not sure it meets my needs or gets my wife’s (riding partner) approval though.
Pretty good summery... the number of riders is the biggie. I bought mine for the whole family to go but find it’s usually just two of us. This will change as the baby gets a little bigger but still... be honest and real with your need for seating as that changes the prospective machines completely!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMHO...
I'd totally steer away from Polaris there's just no way I'd do that again, awesome machine when new but fade out too quickly. Some experience good luck but it's sure not the average and miles are not it's best friend. Most are nickel and dimed throughout ownership.
Can Am I really think is better but they still don't have the dependability of the jap rigs and are pricey for the little things.
Kawi does seem to be dependable and a very good price point but at least to me aren't desirable and I think it is the least likely of the jap rigs to put that all important smile on ones face, doubt they'd hold as well as the other two Jap bikes but do have great warranty. They are loud, hot and just seem to be kind of unrefined.
I believe it's Honda or Yamaha. The x4 rode well and is a great machine and in some ways is better then the Honda but I was disappointed in a couple key wants/needs for us. Both are worth looking at but are very different in some ways. I think it depends on what someone needs for their situation but if you're needing bed space I'd think you've already made your own decision.

Last edited:
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at the Yamaha x4 last week and I wasn't impressed. It definitely doesnt have the versatility of the P1k5 and it's lacking 12-15mph of top speed. The Honda 1000 is about the slowest machine that would keep me happy and allow me to keep up with friends.

The other 4,5 and 6 seaters are just too big.

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I was shopping right now I’d be all over the Yamaha Wolverine x4. Then I’d look at either a ranger or a can am defender. I’ve never had a machine spend as much time in the shop as my Honda has during its first year. I bought the P1k5 based on Honda’s reputation for reliability and quality. After fixing a half dozen things myself that should have been caught before leaving the factory or at least definitely by the dealership, it’s still had other issues. Those half dozen things (crooked steering wheel, brake light switch out of adjustment, latches out of adjustment, etc) are very common,as members of this forum can attest to.Everyone says the 2018 models should have all the kinks worked out... I’d wait and see if I was you, or look elsewhere.

Reactions: Johnsee
DarthM

DarthM

Sep 22, 2017
Phoenix
If I was shopping right now I’d be all over the Yamaha Wolverine x4. h time in the shop as my Honda has during its first year., it’s still had other issues.
.Everyone says the 2018 models should have all the kinks worked out... I’d wait and see if I was you, or look elsewhere.

One of the things that kept me from waiting on the X4 was the issue of it being a completely new platform. First model years can be challenging.

brad-1000-5

brad-1000-5

Oct 23, 2017
Bowling Green, ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought a 17 1000-5 4 weeks ago looking for very similar uses as you. Best purchase I’ve ever made and have 4 miles of atv trails on my property and the pioneer has been thru all of them. Even squeezing between very tight spaces in turns. Does Great to say the least top of ROPS rubs a lot on the tight turns but doesn’t affect a thing

advertisement
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
for a 4-5 seater, i dont think you can beat a Pioneer 1000-5. 2 Seater, I think i would have gone with the Wolverine. Love the Pioneer though

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the things that kept me from waiting on the X4 was the issue of it being a completely new platform. First model years can be challenging.

In the wolverine’s favor though, they’re not using any new technology in the transmission or drivetrain. It’s all the same bulletproof stuff that Yamaha has been using for years in their sxs and atvs. As far as I can tell the only thing new is the engine, and I have no doubt in Yamaha’s ability to to build a good engine.

Reactions: Smitty335
C

Crambo

Nov 16, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I did a little shopping today and found a Wolverine x4 se at a local dealer. Looked like a nice machine but it didn’t jump out and grab me. The rear seats looked much more comfy than the Pioneer and they slid forward to make more room in the bed for hauling stuff. Still wasn’t much of s bed even with the seats forward so I think it’s geared more for play. It was also more expensive than the pioneer. The guy did say that the motor is one that Yamaha has been using in one of their bikes so it’s tried and true as far as reliablility. I stopped and looked st the Pioneer again and it still looks like a nice ride. I hate trying to make purchases like this. It’s like dating a woman, they all look like they are the real deal at first, you marry em, and then it cost a lot of money to replace em.

DarthM

DarthM

Sep 22, 2017
Phoenix
I hate trying to make purchases like this. It’s like dating a woman, they all look like they are the real deal at first, you marry em, and then it cost a lot of money to replace em.

I read you loud and clear. I sweat and swore this decision for weeks. I still look longingly at the sports, but I've enjoyed this machine, my wife loves it and wants to go out every chance we can. Couldn't ask for much more. You'll have a good time.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
In the wolverine’s favor though, they’re not using any new technology in the transmission or drivetrain. It’s all the same bulletproof stuff that Yamaha has been using for years in their sxs and atvs. As far as I can tell the only thing new is the engine, and I have no doubt in Yamaha’s ability to to build a good engine.
Yamaha has been building great engines for a long time!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
There is no doubt in my mind the x4 will be dependable.
Very dependable! friend of mine had a 465 YZ back in the 70's, we were riding in the woods after changing from motocross to woods riding, kept chunking gears, but that was because we were riding it in 3rd gear on slow sections, this thing was a beast, pull your arm sockets out!

Last edited:
C

Calhoun

Apr 14, 2016
Michigan
I would really encourage you to drive both. I was in the same situation. I was ready to buy the pioneer 1000 and then yamaha came out with the x4. I wanted a trail machine for the family riding and hunting out west. I really wanted a quiet, smooth, dependable and great cab system. After driving both and seeing the accessories first hand the yamaha was the clear winner for me. If you plan on doing a lot of utility work and need a dump bed then the Honda would be the way to go.

Reactions: Smitty335
C

Crambo

Nov 16, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would really encourage you to drive both. I was in the same situation. I was ready to buy the pioneer 1000 and then yamaha came out with the x4. I wanted a trail machine for the family riding and hunting out west. I really wanted a quiet, smooth, dependable and great cab system. After driving both and seeing the accessories first hand the yamaha was the clear winner for me. If you plan on doing a lot of utility work and need a dump bed then the Honda would be the way to go.
Yeah. I’ll mostly trail ride and use whatever I get at deer camp. When I do work it the work will consist of gathering up some firewood, picking up rocks around my 2.5 acre property and such. Not any kind of hardcore farm work or anything. I’m gonna drive the Yamaha before I make any final decision just because it’s such an expensive purchase.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!