P1000 Pioneer 1000 rear winch

4340VAR

Feb 11, 2016
Fort Worth
I am a new member of the Honda SxS Club and I would like to see what interest other owners of Pioneer 1000 would have in a rear winch. I originally started out just to build myself a rear receiver hitch that would except a Multi-Mount with a 4500 Warn winch, it was more complicated and time consuming than I anticipated and by the time I finished I found I had made a nice product that other off-road enthusiasts would appreciate.

Currently I am in the final stages of developing a rear winch system especially for the Pioneer 1000. After designing the proto type receiver mount I found the 2in Warn Multi-Mount would not work, so I had to design a new winch mount that has several unique features that make it more useful and adaptable than the currently available winch mounts. The receiver for the winch mount is securely bolted to the Pioneer 1000’s main frame in 4 places, effectively boxing in the rear frame, it’s located between the bed and muffler and does not interfere with the tailgate or dump features and is easily bolted on in a few minutes. With many years of 4 wheeling behind me I have always felt a rear winch is much better in retrieving a stuck vehicle than a front winch besides it also allows the use of the winch to pull heavy loads on to a trailer when attached to factory 2in receiver. Currently looking for other owners of Pioneer 1000/1000-5 in the Dallas, Fort Worth area for fit form and function testing, if interested please respond to this post.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am a new member of the Honda SxS Club and I would like to see what interest other owners of Pioneer 1000 would have in a rear winch. I originally started out just to build myself a rear receiver hitch that would except a Multi-Mount with a 4500 Warn winch, it was more complicated and time consuming than I anticipated and by the time I finished I found I had made a nice product that other off-road enthusiasts would appreciate.

Currently I am in the final stages of developing a rear winch system especially for the Pioneer 1000. After designing the proto type receiver mount I found the 2in Warn Multi-Mount would not work, so I had to design a new winch mount that has several unique features that make it more useful and adaptable than the currently available winch mounts. The receiver for the winch mount is securely bolted to the Pioneer 1000’s main frame in 4 places, effectively boxing in the rear frame, it’s located between the bed and muffler and does not interfere with the tailgate or dump features and is easily bolted on in a few minutes. With many years of 4 wheeling behind me I have always felt a rear winch is much better in retrieving a stuck vehicle than a front winch besides it also allows the use of the winch to pull heavy loads on to a trailer when attached to factory 2in receiver. Currently looking for other owners of Pioneer 1000/1000-5 in the Dallas, Fort Worth area for fit form and function testing, if interested please respond to this post.

winches are pretty bad for shock loading, so the arent good for pulling people hard. rear winches are really really good at getting the person with the winch out of a mudhole they simply cant get through.

a product such as the tigertail however, is good at both yanking and jerking people out of a mudhole, but suffers from not really being a self recovery unit.

winch is good for yourself, and a tigertail is good for 2 rigs.

find a way to do both and youll have a pretty neat idea. im not sure if the synthetic cable shock loads well or not, because i think its stupid and go cable! :p

why no pics dude? me likes pics. pics make this place the magic place that it is!

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
subscribed and interested - you have any pics?

Waylan

4340VAR

Feb 11, 2016
Fort Worth
winches are pretty bad for shock loading, so the arent good for pulling people hard. rear winches are really really good at getting the person with the winch out of a mudhole they simply cant get through.

a product such as the tigertail however, is good at both yanking and jerking people out of a mudhole, but suffers from not really being a self recovery unit.

winch is good for yourself, and a tigertail is good for 2 rigs.

find a way to do both and youll have a pretty neat idea. im not sure if the synthetic cable shock loads well or not, because i think its stupid and go cable! :p

why no pics dude? me likes pics. pics make this place the magic place that it is!

Thanks for responding. Wanted to see how much interest there would be if there was a really good rear winch option. My target price is around 1000,for everything, it cost about 750 to put a 4500 on the front and a hell of a lot of trouble/work. My system will be easy install and have a lot more uses than the front winch. Could make for less with less than Warn 4500 but always used warn and don't know much abbot the other mfg. It is a good rear winch unit?
I am waiting on some Patent information, don't want it to easy to copy. And looking for someone with a P1000 local area that can help by installing and using the unit. I like the name tiger tail but seems it would be too deep in the mud to be of any use if your stuck, would get you stuck if left on. I never would use a winch to jerk a stuck unit out (like you said too much load) of the mud that is why nylon was invented. and everyone though it was for panty hose? I prefer good old steel cable but carry 300 feet of synthetic in a bag, never seems to be trees around when you need them. I find cable to be harder to work with but much more predictable and dependable. I thought it a great idea until I broke 9/16 synthetic rope several times with a shortened Warn High Speed 9500 I built many years ago. I know it is suppose to be 20,000 lbs or so, but it seems fragile and too delicate and decorates very fast if you actually going to be using it. That is my experience so far anyway. I am old and had many 4x4s, from Unimog's, on down to 3 and 4 wheelers I opened first Polaris dealer ship in our part of the country, maybe in Texas. My larger serious 4 x 4's, jeeps, trucks, Unimogs etc had winches on both ends, I felt when I was stuck I had already gone too far, if you just have to get there you can always back across and then winch. Always tried to line up with a tree before I jumped off into the unknown where being stuck was likely.
I hope there is a interest because I am planning on building a hundred units in the next month or so, when reading the information on the sight it seems people are spending a lot of money and time on there P1000, I like mine but have not really rung it out yet or even had it stuck or turn over, I am too old for turning over any way...
Where are you any way?
I will try and send you a pic next time I have it assembled.
Best regards
Nathan

Reactions: Madore128
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any concerns with heat being located near the exhaust/cat? Trying to picture where you are thinking and I don't see alot of places to avoid exhaust heat.

Thanks,

Waylan

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Any concerns with heat being located near the exhaust/cat? Trying to picture where you are thinking and I don't see alot of places to avoid exhaust heat.

Thanks,

Waylan

What's heat going to really do? I've never had synthi. Is that sensitive to heat?

4340VAR

Feb 11, 2016
Fort Worth

Thanks,

Waylan

That is a subject I had not given too much thought too. The receiver is between the muffler and bed so the winch is out board and above the muffler I don.t think it will be subject to too much heat but I suppose it could get hot, but it can be extended out board a few more inches if needed, or just completely removed. I was thing about making a secure place to carry it in the bed of course if you have seats up that want work, I don't think it will fit behind the rear seats and tailgate. The contactor is built in to my winch mount to make it a simple plug and pay especially if you have a remote control. I have not tested the Warn contactor/relay for water proofing, and I have some other after market contactors to test that appear to be sealed much better than the factory Warn, they are a little bigger, I wonder if anyone has had problems with Warn contactors? Also I think most people will find this unit will be adaptable to many applications beyond Honda rescue.
Best regards
Nathan

4340VAR

Feb 11, 2016
Fort Worth
What's heat going to really do? I've never had synthasec. Is that synthetic to heat?
[
Synthetic is sensitive to everything is my experience, I was so excited when it came on the market, it is sensitive to heat, UV, dirt and sand will cut fibers if not cleaned and anything will cut it when under tension. Like I said I use steel cable and carry my syndetic in a clean bag. I think I have almost 300 feet of 9/16 in a bag that weighs 15 lbs, I know that is expensive at 2.00 a ft. but when you have a Unimog stuck up to it's doors in a river, it took the 200 feet of cable on the Mog's front winch, 100 feet from the Warn back winch and the 300 feet of synthetic to reach a treed big enough to pull it out. It seemed cheep then. And it is still in good condition after many pulls, but on my winches it would not last?

B

bigal

May 31, 2016
E. Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I am very interested. Just bought a new 2016 pioneer 1000-3, pic it up tomorrow.

advertisement

4340VAR

Feb 11, 2016
Fort Worth
I don't monitor this much.
If your interested in a rear winch you can call me.
I have a proto type I would sell if you are interested.
I can send pictures.
I think if you bought a 3 seater you must work it nd that is what I need to test it.
Nathan 817 994 4864

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool idea. 750 to install a winch on the front? That must be the dealer installed price.

Reactions: Koda

4340VAR

Feb 11, 2016
Fort Worth
Cool idea. 750 to install a winch on the front? That must be the dealer installed price.
I think it is a 4500 Warn, if not I don't think you should get it, smaller is not good and Non ProVantage is not very water poof for a front winch.
Where in Texas are you I may have a better option if interested.
Nathan

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I don't monitor this much.
If your interested in a rear winch you can call me.
I have a proto type I would sell if you are interested.
I can send pictures.
I think if you bought a 3 seater you must work it nd that is what I need to test it.
Nathan 817 994 4864

A picture or three is worth a thousand words of description, several of us have mounted 4500# winches and winch plates to the front for less than $350. You may be better off offering just the special mount with holes for both the regular and wide spool winches and let the consumer pick their winch of choice. Just an alternative way of looking at it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it is a 4500 Warn, if not I don't think you should get it, smaller is not good and Non ProVantage is not very water poof for a front winch.
Where in Texas are you I may have a better option if interested.
Nathan
Nah man I'm good.

CaptainGadget

CaptainGadget

Oct 1, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Do you have any recent information on the rear winch product I'm looking at getting one or making one for my sxs

Reactions: Koda

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!