P1000 Pioneer 1000 Torque

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It seems the 999cc engine puts out a rated 78 hp. HP is really meaningless without a torque rating to go with it. Everyone gets all amped up over HP on these machines but I'd like to know what the TQ is..

Has anyone ever had one dyno'd? Crawling up a boulder shrewn canyon trail requires TQ not HP.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I agree, alot of people only ever talk about HP. Torque is the amount of "work" an engine can do, and HP is the speed at which it can do the work.
In drag racing, they say torque gets you to 100 mph, then horsepower takes over.

Reactions: Plumber32
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It seems the 999cc engine puts out a rated 78 hp. HP is really meaningless without a torque rating to go with it. Everyone gets all amped up over HP on these machines but I'd like to know what the TQ is..

Has anyone ever had one dyno'd? Crawling up a boulder shrewn canyon trail requires TQ not HP.

I had one on the dyno but Honda was kind enough to install a tune where you must have a 4 wheel dyno, custom tune, or trick the front gear speed sensor to have a good pull. We were only able to pull in 1st gear so torque was over 1000 lb/ft!

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
I had one on the dyno but Honda was kind enough to install a tune where you must have a 4 wheel dyno, custom tune, or trick the front gear speed sensor to have a good pull. We were only able to pull in 1st gear so torque was over 1000 lb/ft!
Dyno measurements should be taken in 4th gear.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hard to do when it won't shift. Gonna have to trick it into thinking front wheels are turning.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
Can't we do the math? 0277995ca341f99f6c78c2f5b66d7a5b
I know it's not as accurate as a dyno but should be ok??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Yeah, we checked the ratios before going and thought the same thing. It's not perfect 1:1 but it was the closest.

Now we got to go back since we figured out how to trick the front speed sensor.

Reactions: Someguy
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Can't we do the math? View attachment 47540
I know it's not as accurate as a dyno but should be ok??

I believe that just the "theoretical" torque at the crank. You will have losses throughout the system. Ideally you want to test it on a wheel dyno so you can see what is actually getting to the ground.

It honestly would be a very cool exercise to see what the wheel vs crank torque curves actually look like.

I wonder if you could see slipping on the clutches? It would be even more interesting to see the difference between Joey's admantium clutched machine and CPs cardboard clutched machine.

If there was a significant difference in the torque to the ground that might indicate that there is a difference between the machines. Like CP's clutches slip a little all the time (and burn out) while Joey's stay locked perfectly together all the time.

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33
D

Dasmoeturhead

Are you just curious about the torque it puts out, or do you believe it is lacking in this area?
I know how mine runs, and its power and torque far surpasses my ability to ever tap into that. The only thing I've found so far to stop this machine is Trees. :)>

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you just curious about the torque it puts out, or do you believe it is lacking in this area?
I know how mine runs, and its power and torque far surpasses my ability to ever tap into that. The only thing I've found so far to stop this machine is Trees. :)>

No, my rig performs great. I'm just curious about how much TQ our 1000cc engines put out because in my mind (for what we do with them) TQ is more important than HP.

All the other manufactures brag about their high HP ratings and our poor little P1K's only have 70hp...but we could counter that with high TQ ratings.

Actually, I could give a shirt one way or another but would like the P1K TQ numbers.

Having HP with no TQ is like knowing volts with no amps...

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
No, my rig performs great. I'm just curious about how much TQ our 1000cc engines put out because in my mind (for what we do with them) TQ is more important than HP.

All the other manufactures brag about their high HP ratings and our poor little P1K's only have 70hp...but we could counter that with high TQ ratings.

Actually, I could give a shirt one way or another but would like the P1K TQ numbers.

I do agree. Torque is far more important and I would like to know what the number is. Idk why people want the hp numbers unless they are running them on the road.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
D

Dasmoeturhead

Maybe some numbers from Hondas Africa Twin motorcycle with the same powerplants as our Pioneer's. I'm sure all of the Africa's specs are different, but maybe close. IDK.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Old thread....New idea.
What if the front wheel sensors were disconnected and temp. Hooked to the rears so the computer would see all 4 tires moving and allow a good dyno run.?

H

HondaTech

Old thread....New idea.
What if the front wheel sensors were disconnected and temp. Hooked to the rears so the computer would see all 4 tires moving and allow a good dyno run.?

What's weird is the 2 wheeled DCT models have a "Dynamometer" mode for testing on a dyno in our diagnostic tool. The Pioneer and Atvs do not.

How are the Talon guys doing it, seen several with the front wheels off the ground and removed?

D

DDDonkey

What's weird is the 2 wheeled DCT models have a "Dynamometer" mode for testing on a dyno in our diagnostic tool. The Pioneer and Atvs do not.

How are the Talon guys doing it, seen several with the front wheels off the ground and removed?

I would think if you put the unit in 4wd and remove the front axles (non-I4wd) you could dyno a pioneer, or just jack up the front and remove the tires .

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is a good example of torque vs horsepower, This is a 1923 Fairbanks Morse diesel engine weight is 15,500 lbs it is a 50 HP @ 234 RPM , the amount of torque it produces is unreal , I have never figured torque or had it on a dyno but it has an enormous amount of torque compared to HP and only top RPM of 234, I have the governor turned down on it when I run it it only runs at about 100 RPM,,,
DSC 0035

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is a good example of torque vs horsepower, This is a 1923 Fairbanks Morse diesel engine weight is 15,500 lbs it is a 50 HP @ 234 RPM , the amount of torque it produces is unreal , I have never figured torque or had it on a dyno but it has an enormous amount of torque compared to HP and only top RPM of 234, I have the governor turned down on it when I run it it only runs at about 100 RPM,,,View attachment 168612
1122.2 ft lbs!!!

Reactions: farmtimpioneer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!