Pioneer 500 rebuilt again, still burning oil

P

Pax

Dec 8, 2020
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
My ‘18 pioneer 500 has been a headache. Issue started 2 years ago with dust ingestion from air filter not being on all the way, 600 miles at the time. Had top end rebuilt, blew again within 75 miles. I had a different shop (both non-dealers) replace jug (own) and piston (Nembutal). Went about 75 miles again and crank went out. Had crank replaced, rehoned and rings. Went about 100 miles, still burning oil. Honed and rings again. Mechanic had me put 300 miles on this time, burned oil entire time, getting worse with more miles- oil not on dipstick after 1/2 tank of gas. Had it bored and new top end (this time own). Started burning oil again around 100 miles. Any ideas? He warrantied his work which is great- down side he keeps it 4-5 months every time I drop it off. It’s literally been at my house for about 5 months since fall 2020…..Any thoughts on what the issue could be?
Thanks!

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Would that make it burn oil? Another piece of info is that crosshatch in jug has been gone after 100 miles each time.
If the crosshatch is gone each time, sounds like the air intake hose is leaking between the air filter and cylinder allowing dust to enter. Dust/dirt will act just like sandpaper on the cylinder wall.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Would that make it burn oil?....
Yes, the crankcase builds pressure as the piston moves down, vacuum as the piston moves up, if the vent is blocked it will force oil past the rings.
This is the hose, about 3/4" dia that goes from the left rear of the engine up to the air cleaner box

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've screwed up before and done this myself, but he's prob putting rings on wrong they usually run about 100 miles before they give up the ghost. Also honda oe parts or nothin. I make customers sign that I'm not warranty anywork that has ebay or Amazon parts on it

P

Pax

Dec 8, 2020
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, the crankcase builds pressure as the piston moves down, vacuum as the piston moves up, if the vent is blocked it will force oil past the rings.
This is the hose, about 3/4" dia that goes from the left rear of the engine up to the air cleaner box
Thanks a lot, I will check it out
If the crosshatch is gone each time, sounds like the air intake hose is leaking between the air filter and cylinder allowing dust to enter. Dust/dirt will act just like sandpaper on the cylinder wall.
The only reason I don’t think that makes sense in this case is since the last rebuild it has only been driven in spring conditions on pavement and damp Forrest service roads- still a month away from dust season where I live.

P

Pax

Dec 8, 2020
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I've screwed up before and done this myself, but he's prob putting rings on wrong they usually run about 100 miles before they give up the ghost. Also honda oe parts or nothin. I make customers sign that I'm not warranty anywork that has ebay or Amazon parts on it
Thanks, this time around it was all OEM, even showed me the packaging. Could be that he’s doing rings wrong but 4 times?

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks, this time around it was all OEM, even showed me the packaging. Could be that he’s doing rings wrong but 4 times?
Whats been done with the head during these rebuilds. Ive had ranchers and foremans wear the valve stems and guides causing bad oil consumption.

Reactions: Smitty335
P

Pax

Dec 8, 2020
North Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Whats been done with the head during these rebuilds. Ive had ranchers and foremans wear the valve stems and guides causing bad oil consumption.
He’s checked valves and replaced valve seals.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!