BOX1

P500 Pioneer 500 shifts gears but wont move.

D

Digler

Dec 14, 2021
Coaldale
Ownership

1. 500
Hi there. Looking for some advice on where to look for what this problem might be.
I have a 2017 honda pioneer 500 that the engine went with 20 miles on it back in 2018. I have put 500 miles on since this happened. I was out driving it when it seemed like the clutch was slipping (no power) and gradually got worse to the point were it will no longer move. It will shift gears but does not go anywhere when you push the pedal. I opened it up because a thought it must be the clutch weights or the wet clutch but find no real evidence of failure. Upon inspection the 4 bolts holding the wet clutch together were quite loose (not to 10 ft pound spec) would that cause this issue? The bolts were finger tight like they forgot to tighten them when the engine was rebuilt at the dealer. Also maybe thinking the oil pump wasn't pushing enough pressure to engage the plates maybe. All the plates look good though. No wear or darkening on them. Anyone encountered this problem with there 500 before.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Smitty335
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Upon inspection the 4 bolts holding the wet clutch together were quite loose (not to 10 ft pound spec) would that cause this issue? The bolts were finger tight like they forgot to tighten them when the engine was rebuilt at the dealer. Also maybe thinking the oil pump wasn't pushing enough pressure to engage the plates maybe.
You found the problem, those 4 bolts/springs are what engage the clutch (hold the clutch pack tight) , if they were loose the clutch would never engage and will continuously slip . The P5/520 doesn't use oil pressure to engage the clutch like the bigger P1/T1

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
1st <>. Welcome from central upstate N.Y
Many good people on the Honda forum AND they LIKE PICTURES.
RED was the1st color <> all other colors followed Honda hopes they sell.

2nd <> listen to 906UP <> he has the knowledge

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!