P500 Pioneer 500 stock tires Opinions

L

Lenny

Oct 16, 2015
Ownership

1. 520
I just bought a new pioneer 500. I keep reading that the stock tires are no good. My riding consists of light trail riding,hunting and around my camp.I thought they looked like they would work good enough for the way I ride. I have more agressive zillas on my yamaha grizzly for deep snow or mud riding. I was hoping the stock tires would work good enough in moderate snow or mud. Please give me your opinions.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
The 24inch stock tires will work ok,but they wear fast. Most people go with 26inch and up for more ground clearance and a little better ride. I like the look of bigger tires too. Pluses of the stock tires is lower loading height and they are already paid for.

Reactions: trigger and Lenny
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Why make the decision now? Ride it for several months and make a decision later.

Sent from my iPhone 10s

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
The 24inch stock tires will work ok,but they wear fast. Most people go with 26inch and up for more ground clearance and a little better ride. I like the look of bigger tires too. Pluses of the stock tires is lower loading height and they are already paid for.
I just bought a new pioneer 500. I keep reading that the stock tires are no good. My riding consists of light trail riding,hunting and around my camp.I thought they looked like they would work good enough for the way I ride. I have more agressive zillas on my yamaha grizzly for deep snow or mud riding. I was hoping the stock tires would work good enough in moderate snow or mud. Please give me your opinions.
Stay off the pavement. ..you'll be fine

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
I am still running my stock tires. I have had the machine since last August. Rode it quite a bit during deer season and then some trail riding since. I have never gotten stuck, never had to turn around. Impressive little machine with the stock tires. I installed a winch thinking if the stock tires failed to get me out of something that I had a back up. I have yet to spool the rope off the winch. I really like the looks of some of the tire upgrades of many of the members on this site, but can't justify the expense right now when the stocks are serving me well. I will most likely run the stocks for a couple of years.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I upgraded my tires recently to 26" bear claw htr. Stocks actually worked pretty well but I wanted more ground clearance. Keep in mind if you can sell your stock tires for $100 or so (i got $120 for mine on CL) that offsets the new tires some. $360-120 for me... The difference is night and day...rides better, climbs better, and the machine really seems geared for 26" tires, the speedo is actually dead on now...plus it just looks much better. Anyway for $240 its the best upgrade I have made.

Reactions: Islander
L

Lenny

Oct 16, 2015
Ownership

1. 520
We went for a ride today in the rain.The trails and the logging roads were very muddy and the tires worked pretty well.Not as good as the zillas on my yamaha but I didn't get stuck and went everywhere I wanted to.

J

Jack

Jun 20, 2016
Big Island of Hawaii
Ownership

1. 500
What are the best tires for on/off road on the Pioneer 500? At least half of my riding is on asphalt in my private subdivision. Other miles are mostly cinder/gravel/lava. Rarely mud. I have stock now but wondering which direction I should go once these wear out.

Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet

Apr 13, 2016
Labrador, Canada
Bighorn 2.0 have good reviews on this site and others. I read and read and read and decided on bighorn 2.0 in 26's. Waiting their arrival, will post my review after testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Bighorn 2.0 have good reviews on this site and others. I read and read and read and decided on bighorn 2.0 in 26's. Waiting their arrival, will post my review after testing.

I researched the hell out of it too and that's what I went with as well.
They're radials which produce a better ride on hard surfaces.
I never ran with my stock tires only the BH's, taken me through terrain that I thought it wouldn't...
and like @cthack, I've never pulled my winch cable. Kinda looking forward to plowing so it'll get some use.

S

Sledge

I researched the hell out of it too and that's what I went with as well.
They're radials which produce a better ride on hard surfaces.
I never ran with my stock tires only the BH's, taken me through terrain that I thought it wouldn't...
and like @cthack, I've never pulled my winch cable. Kinda looking forward to plowing so it'll get some use.
Ditch 'em. Grind 'em up for mulch. Throw 'em over your neighbor's fence and swear you weren't home that weekend.

Lose those stock tires! Life is just too short to wear those POS's out.

I'm frugal too, but there are limits. Buy some good 26" tires.

Thank me later.

Joe

Reactions: ehart814
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

A great choice you've made!

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!