P500 Pioneer Mountains of Idaho

Trider1

Trider1

Oct 13, 2018
Blackfoot Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Spent a couple of weeks riding the trails of these high peaks. 20190715 163821 20190715 163446 20190719 213702 20190719 212557 20190711 120920 20190719 213702 20190720 193539 20190715 164418 20190718 141956

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like some great places to explore. Voa ist das?

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Between Mackay and Sun Valley. A weeks worth of riding.
Awesome, I’m looking for new places to waste some time on before the Colorado ride in September. Can you be more specific on location, parking,camping etc? It’s greatly appreciated!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Trider1

Trider1

Oct 13, 2018
Blackfoot Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Awesome, I’m looking for new places to waste some time on before the Colorado ride in September. Can you be more specific on location, parking,camping etc? It’s greatly appreciated!!!
Travelling north from Mackay take the Trail Creek rd(I believe it is 14 miles north of Mackay) once the pavement ends you have several options for camping. The road east will take you to Wildhorse campground. Further east is Starhope and Lake Creek Campgrounds. Lake creek has a 50" loop trail that will take you to several lakes. Starhope has a open trail just east of the campground that takes you to a mine( there will be people camped on this road follow the road through the camps) There is also a 50" trail that takes you to Starhope Lake.
Green Lake is located in Muldoon Canyon and all trails are unrestricted. Wildhorse has a nice trail that continues out of the campground and at the end a wonderful waterfall located at the end of a 50 yard easy walk.
Copper Basin offers a small ghost town and abandoned mines. If you make it to here continue on to Antelope Pass and go down it.
Wildhorse peak has a 50" trail that leads to a lookout station. Last I heard it was rough and I did not travel it.
To get to Phi Kappa continue on Trail Creek going to Sun Valley. The North Fork road has a lot of scenery but no technical riding. Burnett Creek has a 50" trail that goes to some old mining operations and gets very steep at the end of the trail. Phi Kappa Creek trail is wonderful as well as Big Fall Creek both 50". Kane creek is unrestricted and is very scenic and then there is Summitt Creek which is the main road but is worth the drive over the divide to Sun Valley.
Phi Kappa has a campground as well as Park Creek both on Trail Creek Road. I prefer to camp dispersed and there are several areas through the area. I like Phi Kappa and ride from there Starhope and Antelope pass are long drives 100 mile round trips but just make a day out of it exploring.
Stop at the Mackay Forest Service Station and pick up a trail map and a red collapsible water pail and you will be set.

Reactions: tjoreo and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Travelling north from Mackay take the Trail Creek rd(I believe it is 14 miles north of Mackay) once the pavement ends you have several options for camping. The road east will take you to Wildhorse campground. Further east is Starhope and Lake Creek Campgrounds. Lake creek has a 50" loop trail that will take you to several lakes. Starhope has a open trail just east of the campground that takes you to a mine( there will be people camped on this road follow the road through the camps) There is also a 50" trail that takes you to Starhope Lake.
Green Lake is located in Muldoon Canyon and all trails are unrestricted. Wildhorse has a nice trail that continues out of the campground and at the end a wonderful waterfall located at the end of a 50 yard easy walk.
Copper Basin offers a small ghost town and abandoned mines. If you make it to here continue on to Antelope Pass and go down it.
Wildhorse peak has a 50" trail that leads to a lookout station. Last I heard it was rough and I did not travel it.
To get to Phi Kappa continue on Trail Creek going to Sun Valley. The North Fork road has a lot of scenery but no technical riding. Burnett Creek has a 50" trail that goes to some old mining operations and gets very steep at the end of the trail. Phi Kappa Creek trail is wonderful as well as Big Fall Creek both 50". Kane creek is unrestricted and is very scenic and then there is Summitt Creek which is the main road but is worth the drive over the divide to Sun Valley.
Phi Kappa has a campground as well as Park Creek both on Trail Creek Road. I prefer to camp dispersed and there are several areas through the area. I like Phi Kappa and ride from there Starhope and Antelope pass are long drives 100 mile round trips but just make a day out of it exploring.
Stop at the Mackay Forest Service Station and pick up a trail map and a red collapsible water pail and you will be set.
Many thanks! I’ll definitely check it out

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you had a chance to do the Mackay mine tour west of town. We rode it a couple of summers ago and thought it was pretty neat. Thanks for the pics and the detailed trip planner.

Reactions: Trider1
Trider1

Trider1

Oct 13, 2018
Blackfoot Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Many thanks! I’ll definitely check it out
While there Mackay has a city park to camp in as well as a Mine Hill travel park offering 2 nights free. There is a dump station located there as well. Unload your bike and ride through town to the mine hill for a day or 2. There is also camping and more trails to the north through Pass Creek into the Little Lost area. The second highest road in Idaho is located here @ 10,500 ft. Squaw Creek road is a awesome ride.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Wow, what a trove of useful information....:cool:

Reactions: Eltobgi and Trider1
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m about to go explore this area. Was thinking about staying at Phi Kappa and driving to Copper basin. Thanks for the tips!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll be coming in from Sun Valley

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another cool ride if your in the area is called Boulder City. It's not really well marked where the turn off is but it's a pretty neat area if you can get there. They call it Boulder City for a reason, because it's pretty rocky in spots. It is North West of Sun Valley just passed the SNRA office. It's an old mining area with the old mill still standing. Actually Bruce Wills used to own the area and may still have a partner ship in it. It is road 158 and 158A in the SNRA. If you need more info let me know. We camp just passed it most of the summer and try and play around the area west of Copper Basin.
Upload 2019 8 20 14 24 29

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Trider1

Trider1

Oct 13, 2018
Blackfoot Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I’m about to go explore this area. Was thinking about staying at Phi Kappa and driving to Copper basin. Thanks for the tips!
Enjoy the area and take your time there is a bunch of areas to explore.
That Trail Creek Road is quite the road. I camp just down from Big Fall Creek trail on the right hand side. You will see a big rock outcrop on the left with the campsite just past it on the right overlooking a big meadow.

Reactions: 100Acre

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!