P1000 Pioneer Quality

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just finished installing the air dam or diverter and also spent some time underneath the just "poking" around. I'm also VERY fortunate to have a nice shop with a hoist...it sure makes this stuff easier at my age!

If you spend some time looking under this rig you'll sure see some impressive design elements and great fit and finish. They have used automotive technology and a general ruggedness everywhere you look...the Pioneer is just VERY well made.

Now, I know there lots of b1tch and moans we read on the internet, and there are some sore issues among us, but it seems Honda is working hard to address issues both brought on by owner abuse and design flaws, some regarding how the units will ultimately be used in the field...and some of that field use (abuse?) at times is obviously outside the original design parameters...just look at YouTube videos and one can see a slice of the general public could break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

It's my opinion the P1K is a really great unit, I really like it, and would purchase it all over again. I'm not a Honda poster boy, just a satisfied P1K owner.

Here's the air dam installed with the shock and wheel removed...

20171006 092231
20171006 092242
20171006 092300

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I just finished installing the air dam or diverter and also spent some time underneath the just "poking" around. I'm also VERY fortunate to have a nice shop with a hoist...it sure makes this stuff easier at my age!

If you spend some time looking under this rig you'll sure see some impressive design elements and great fit and finish. They have used automotive technology and a general ruggedness everywhere you look...the Pioneer is just VERY well made.

Now, I know there lots of b1tch and moans we read on the internet, and there are surly some sore issues among us, but it seems Honda is working hard to address issues both brought on by owner abuse and design flaws, some regarding how the units will ultimately be used in the field...and some of that field use (abuse?) at times is obviously outside the original design parameters...just look at YouTube videos and one can see a slice of the general public could break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

It's my opinion the P1K is a really great unit, I really like it, and would purchase it all over again. I'm not a Honda poster boy, just a satisfied P1K owner.

View attachment 55639 View attachment 55640 View attachment 55641
Love that shop. Pioneer looks great in it as well nice job!

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys! All I need is a lathe and a mill...and my life would be complete! LOL
With property, tractors and toys, I'm always working on a project. A lathe and a mill sure beats a file and a torch...(sometimes)

C

cutt69

Apr 18, 2017
US
Thanks guys! All I need is a lathe and a mill...and my life would be complete! LOL
With property, tractors and toys, I'm always working on a project. A lathe and a mill sure beats a file and a torch...(sometimes)
My 2016 700 is made great,had no problems knock on wood.nice rig and shop.8b088441dccc81d47e29b8ab57b7ddd3F2f454b3e725cbf029dc8f4fbcd421b6

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with your quality analysis. You can get pretty dang rough with them if you know how. Love the shop also. I'm shop poor but fairly tool rich lol (including mini mill). A lathe is on my list at some point.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man, I had a Bridgeport and a LaBlond SLIP outta my fingers a while back. They got pulled out of a plant I was working, went to the boneyard then they mysteriously disappeared in the dark of night. They went to larger machines in the machine shop and these were in beautiful shape. Was gonna cost me the price of scrap...someone had an inside deal going.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man, I had a Bridgeport and a LaBlond SLIP outta my fingers a while back. They got pulled out of a plant I was working, went to the boneyard then they mysteriously disappeared in the dark of night. They went to larger machines in the machine shop and these were in beautiful shape. Was gonna cost me the price of scrap...someone had an inside deal going.
We have good metal machines come up for auction at plant I work at (Nissan) but the bidding is always ridiculous. I'm not paying new retail for a 5yr old machine lol. I gotta brag on my 700 buck Grizzly mini mill. So far it's been flawless. If only I could find more time to play with it.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree the quality is very good. The fact that Honda has made the late 2016 and 2017 improvements backwards compatible is really nice.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Now, I know there lots of b1tch and moans we read on the internet, and there are some sore issues among us, but it seems Honda is working hard to address issues both brought on by owner abuse and design flaws, some regarding how the units will ultimately be used in the field...and some of that field use (abuse?) at times is obviously outside the original design parameters...just look at YouTube videos and one can see a slice of the general public could break an anvil with a rubber mallet.

Impressive shop!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Nice shop. Love your miller sign. It's a nice machine I agree. Everything has its shortcomings. If it was perfect we wouldn't have things to talk about:)

Reactions: sharp and swsebek
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've had my Pioneer for almost a year now and am very satisfied with it. There are a few things I'd change if I could, but overall it does what I want very well.

IMO the P1000 is a compromise, neither sport or work but some of both. It's like my car, it's not a drag car but it's not really a street car, yet I still drag race it and drive it on the street. If it had some more compression, more gear, better suspension and some weight removed it would be a nice race car. On the other hand if it had less cam, compression and gear, better seats and factory springs in the back it would be an more comfortable cruiser.

If you straddle the fence, sometimes you will get your nuts pinched.

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One sweet shop, someday like to have one half as nice. Like your tape line on floor, pays to get it right the first time. My knees still have inditions from years of concrete crawling. Nice to see another Honda Davidson guy.

I've observed the same thing poking around on the p1000 build or layout was thought out. As with new machines problems can occur, I've been lucky so far with a late 16 build and hope it stays that way. Waiting on dealer call to install clutch update. Thanks to this forum gonna try to avoid other short comings through preventive measures, vent lines, dual battery, already installed heat barrier on seat and back and at 55degrees seems to have worked too well.

As lathes go it's nice to have an old school one around. This one is my brothers his hobby requires something this big. He trues up actions, cuts barrels and brake threads. He has a passion for extreme accuracy. He just got done doing four 6.5mm creeds one is mine waiting to put "that" scope on it.

Hawkeye

IMG 0814 IMG 3927

J

Johnsee

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

sounds like a fanboi rah rah session to me in spite of your denial.

Reactions: Norteno
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Well now a days...you can most definitely find a MANUAL mill and lathe for basically nothing!!! Owning a machine shop I now...I have some older but goodies that you can not hardly even give away. People just want to push buttons and have perfect parts come out! The art of true machinist is being lost I am afraid! But if you make some calls to some of your smaller job shops that have been around for a while...you might just be surprised at how cheap they would let something go! Then you just have to worry about transport and space and power on your end! But that can be another issue in itself! :) Nice shop you have and Honda def looks good in there!!!

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good Idea Lamm... I'm pretty rural, but close enough to SLC and LV that transporting a good score wouldn't be prohibitive. I think I might get on that project...

Reactions: sharp and R-Lamm

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!