Pioneer Snow Bashing In Colorado

M

Manly bug

Oct 7, 2013
Photobucket link below. 3 foot snow drifts in places, lots of untouched snow... some towing and come along-ing needed. I got a winch for Christmas, installing it this weekend!

One clip shows a herd of about 25 elk that we came across twice.

Pioneer has had it's first oil change... I'm running it now on 91 octane with a little octane booster in there to test it... still a dog on steep hills or snow. Just not low enough gearing Honda! In 9/10 situations, it performs fine--but I still say it should run out of traction on a hill or in snow before it runs out of power. Huge oversight in the engineering for Honda, in my opinion. I never NEED to go 43mph, but sometimes I NEED to get up a hill at 2mph.

http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/gregweik/library/Slaughterhouse Gulch Jan 2014

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I see you out making me jealous because you are able to ride in the snow.
I watched the vids. But missed the elk. I'll take another look.

I do agree with you. It should be able to break traction. And defiantly in snow. Im sure it will improve like most users have said it does after some fair use.
Keep us informed and keep riding. thanks

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Manly bug said:
Pioneer has had it's first oil change... I'm running it now on 91 octane with a little octane booster in there to test it... still a dog on steep hills or snow. Just not low enough gearing Honda! In 9/10 situations, it performs fine--but I still say it should run out of traction on a hill or in snow before it runs out of power. Huge oversight in the engineering for Honda, in my opinion. I never NEED to go 43mph, but sometimes I NEED to get up a hill at 2mph.

http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/gregweik/library/Slaughterhouse Gulch Jan 2014
Nice video. Looks like you had fun.

I've ask before, and I'll ask again: Have you taken the machine to the dealer and voiced your concerns? There is a known issue with the exhaust that causes power loss, and it could be as simple as this.

I suspect a big part of your problem is the air pressure you are running. In your Moab vids, you looked to be running WAY high pressure. High flotation tires expand as they are filled, and I'd guess that you were running the equivalent of about 28" tires, from the looks of it. If you insist on running stupid-high pressures, use the factory recommended 10F/12R...which is still higher than needed. The very nice Fourtrax riding with you is also way overfilled. This does nothing but make the ride way stiff and cost you traction.

I too can get my machine to bog in extreme situations, but i have come to the conclusion that when this happens, the load is always such that lower gearing would simply spin the tires and go nowhere anyway. And this has only happened when i am "testing" to see if it will bog. It has never ceased to take me where i wanted to go when drove it like i was trying to go, rather than to see if it would bog.
You are at higher elevation which obviously costs you power, but not at Moab where you machine looked to clearly be down on power for some reason.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
DG Rider, As you know, Moab is not exactly at sea level. It's approx. 4100' to 4700' in elevation (depending on the trail), so there will be some power loss. I have experienced very noticeable drop off in power above 8000 ft, but then again, that would be true of any Sxs. However, since the Pioneer doesn't have as many ponies to begin with, coupled with lack of true lower gear, I can relate to Manly Bug having some issues at higher altitudes - my Pioneer does the same thing at very high altitudes. I live and play in the rarefied air in the Utah mountains and have wished the Pioneer had a larger displacement motor, however, It still meets my needs for a SxS. I owned and paid more than $16,000 + for machines that had more power, but far less reliability and quality than the Pioneer. While the Pioneer could use more horsepower, the high torque motor helps overcome all but the most challenging hills and deep snow. For the money, the Pioneer offers a great value!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
fishin2Dmax said:
DG Rider, As you know, Moab is not exactly at sea level. It's approx. 4100' to 4700' in elevation (depending on the trail), so there will be some power loss. I have experienced very noticeable drop off in power above 8000 ft, but then again, that would be true of any Sxs. However, since the Pioneer doesn't have as many ponies to begin with, coupled with lack of true lower gear, I can relate to Manly Bug having some issues at higher altitudes - my Pioneer does the same thing at very high altitudes. I live and play in the rarefied air in the Utah mountains and have wished the Pioneer had a larger displacement motor, however, It still meets my needs for a SxS. I owned and paid more than $16,000 + for machines that had more power, but far less reliability and quality than the Pioneer. While the Pioneer could use more horsepower, the high torque motor helps overcome all but the most challenging hills and deep snow. For the money, the Pioneer offers a great value!
Fishin'
I live at 4800' or so...around the same altitude as Moab. Most all of my riding has been at 4800-7000 feet. A few days ago i was at nearly 8000 feet in the ride report i posted elsewhere. Watching Manly's Moab vids, his machine struggled on obstacles mine would have hardly noticed. Something other than altitude is costing him power.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!